cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Essential Tools or I sure wish I had brought............

Timothy2001
Explorer
Explorer
Aside from all of the basics like pliers, channel locks, various screwdrivers etc. are there any tools to bring along or keep in the RV that maybe are out of the ordinary?

Stuff that you might have realized you needed after the fact.

Trying to plan for eventualities and be prepared.
2008 Itasca Meridian 39z
28 REPLIES 28

MrWizard
yes eterna-bond, i have a roll in a box, under this table-desk
its perpetual resting place, so i always know where it is
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Really, how much you carry depends on how far or how long you intend on traveling. Also, it depends on where you're going. Crossing the country? Better bring an extra spare tire and shed full of tools. Going an hour up the road and there's a wal-mart or hardware store 10 minutes away, then not so much.

We keep a staple of things in the trailer and then add/subtract based on the above.

One thing not mentioned is a roll of Eterna-Bond tape. I once scraped the corner of my roof high point on a low-hanging limb while pulling to our campsite. Being able to fix that tear was the difference between a happy trip and nervous trip.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
Star and square bits for all those stupid speciality fasteners.

I'm saving a can full of "dope slaps" for the people who specify/install specialty fasteners when simple standard threaded fasteners will do just fine.

Chum lee

tarnold
Explorer
Explorer
JB weld. Fixes anything.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tow strap, shovel, axe, jumper cables, electrical tools and a voltmeter.
You can use an open car door to open beer bottles. I have worked with several guys that could open any beer bottle made with their fingers.

A corkscrew is optional. YOu can always push the cork in the bottle.

MrWizard
as a full timer i carry almost everything that used to be in the work shed
saws, hand tools, electrical tools, meters, wire, all that stuff
except all the lawn and garden stuff, and no drill press

i still have my small flux core wire welder from Lincoln

have repaired a few small jobs with it
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

C20
Explorer
Explorer
I also carry a small compressor. Not for airing up tires, but we had the air compressor on the chassis go out and a friend says you can plug the compressor in and viola power the air brakes! Would have saved us 3 days at the freightliner dealership on a trip.
2017 Newmar Essex
97 Jeep Wrangler
16 HD CVO Street glide
2015 Challenger Hellcat
2021 Hellcat Durango
2020 ram 2500 Cummins

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Star and square bits for all those stupid speciality fasteners.

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
The most important tool is the one you don't have with you. You know the old mechanics saying "Use the right tool for the job" Well, Vise Grips are the wrong tool for every job. Wouldn't be without em.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
I have found that having the correct tool is not the problem but rather not having a new part to put back in after I take out the broken part.

Test light, voltmeter, socket set, and screwdriver set will allow me to diagnose almost everything on the RV.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Duct Tape.

MURPHY55347
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot cork screw......no problem. Take a key and wedge it into the cork at a 45 degree angle. Twist around to loosen up cork. Pull straight out. Or always buy wine with screw caps.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
At almost 80 yoa, a couple of good high limit credit cards. I'm getting too old to do major work on the road and my rich wife:W says I'm not allowed to anyway:B.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
My dental pick comes in handy for getting into those tight places.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson