cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

bottle in holding tank

thoms
Explorer
Explorer
DW dropped empty plastic chem bottle in black holding tank. have dumped the tank ok with no problem. Can see it with flex camera but cannot get to it. it`s 4" long and 1 and 3/4" round. I`m worried it will jam up the dump valve. Any ideas on what to do? Or not to do.
Thanks for any help...
16 REPLIES 16

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Before you try to drain it out look at your drain pipe. If there is a bend will your bottle go around the bend or will it just wedge in there making a bigger problem?

If the bottle floats I would fill the tank almost all the way full. Then put the toilet side of the RV up on blocks to see if the bottle will float up to the hole. have a few neighborhood kids rock the RV vigorously side to side to agitate the water and move the bottle up.

If the bottle doesn't float I would drain the tank and put the RV side opposite from the toilet on blocks so the bottle can roll to the toilet. If necessary I would crawl under the RV and start smacking the tank with an open palm or maybe a rubber mallet and a small piece of 2x4 to try to bounce the bottle over to the toilet.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Remove the toilet and have her reach down and grab it.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
thoms wrote:
DW dropped empty plastic chem bottle in black holding tank..

Somewhere along the way did you try to explain to DW that you should pour stuff into the toilet WITH THE FLUSH VALVE CLOSED ???
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
thoms wrote:
DW dropped empty plastic chem bottle in black holding tank. have dumped the tank ok with no problem. Can see it with flex camera but cannot get to it. it`s 4" long and 1 and 3/4" round. I`m worried it will jam up the dump valve. Any ideas on what to do? Or not to do.
Thanks for any help...

not that it helps you now but this is why i use the dissolvable chem packs.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would just abandon the bottle in place. Some day it will come out... or it won't.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
fill with some fresh water and float it, then grab it with something like this. https://www.amleo.com/e-z-reacher-pro-folding-96in/p/96PRO/?kc=amlshop19n,&mkwid=sAn6LT2sr|dc&pcrid=252719813432&pkw=&pmt=&plc=&prd=96PRO,96PRO&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=&utm_medium=cpc&slid=&pgrid=55954920847&ptaid=pla-293946777986&gclid=CN3V7vap1uICFS4grQYdYP0GSA
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another comment on TP - use any brand that's septic safe for 9 years - never a problem. The key is to use plenty of water when you flush. Too many people skimp on the water they use. Think a whole bowl of water if there are any solids . Never any chemicals - only water - no smell.

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok.... This sounds crazy but how about emptying the tank locate the bottle with the flex camera and going after it with a shop vac..from the top side.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
maybe drain tank and put a hose in the toilet hole ,but you want it out, or it,ll stop things up just when you don,t need another problem.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just a comment on the RV TP, people have done experiments and Scott's 1000 tissue works just as well and at half the cost.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nvr2old2go wrote:
I dropped one once, tried to flush it out but it would float and would not drain with the liquid. I finally had to remove the valve and reach in with a wire and pull it out. The good part, it was very clean from all the flushing.

I am thinking the tank is empty so no way for the bottle to float. Just water coming out and poking up the pipe with a broom handle or whatever to get the bottle around from sideways so it will come out.

This means you have to be in a place where the water pouring out is going on the ground, and it doesn't matter that it is from the black tank, because it is just water. You would not have the hose attached, or you could not poke at it up there.

If it floated you could fill the tank and get it from the toilet if the bottle came over there from the top of the tank if it has one of those slanted connection pipes some have.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nvr2old2go wrote:
I dropped one once, tried to flush it out but it would float and would not drain with the liquid. I finally had to remove the valve and reach in with a wire and pull it out. The good part, it was very clean from all the flushing.
Yep, me too. She was very worried that it would clog things up. So I had to pull the valve anyway to replace the cable and handle so I could easily reach it with the valve out of the way. All in all it was easier than I thought it would be. The worst part was putting the coroplast back up and securing it.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
While living full time I had a guest visit for several days.

I used the toilet right after her one morning. I found what looked like half a roll of toilet paper. And not RV paper. I nicely explained why we use as little paper as possible.

You guessed it. Next time I tried to dump it plugged. I tried everything I could think of including using a shop vacant trying to suck or blow it out. No joy. Called the septic pump company and they sent out a big pump truck. We tried sucking it out from one end and finally collapsed the black tank.

Then we bought a composting toilet.

I will never have to clean poo off of the bathroom counter ceiling again.....
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

Nvr2old2go
Explorer
Explorer
'97 Safari TREK Pathmaker
'87 Samurai toad
'09 suzuki SX4 toad
'86 LeSharo 3.3 V6