Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: 50 AMP and plugging in at home
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> 50 AMP and plugging in at home

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Timothy2001

Texas and NY

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/19 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Although new to this, I strongly suspect that a coach that has 50 AMP service may not be able to run A/C in the Texas heat on an standard outdoor extension cord plugged into an exterior house outlet. I'll make the assumption the generator can handle but would prefer to run off the electricity from the house when here.

Do I need to install a new breaker at home that has the capacity to power the coach including the A/C units on a 39' coach?

* This post was edited 06/06/19 11:16am by Timothy2001 *

2008 Itasca Meridian 39z

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/19 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, you do need 50 amp power to run air/con.

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JK toad.

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/19 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tough one to answer without knowing the specific coach that you have. My coach has a 50 AMP service cord and I have run ONE AC unit when plugged in to a standard 20 AMP service outlet before at limited locations.
When I do that I have to put the WH on gas and carefully manage my other power usage. I have to turn the AC off if I want to use the microwave but I am able to have the TV turned on while running one AC unit on 20 amp service. I do turn off the battery charging portion of my inverter, which can draw a lot of power.

Timothy2001

Texas and NY

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/19 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks very much for the quick responses, a bit more complicated than I thought. I will likely have a 50 AMP breaker installed in the house panel wtih an appropriate recepticle.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/19 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timothy2001 wrote:

Thanks very much for the quick responses, a bit more complicated than I thought. I will likely have a 50 AMP breaker installed in the house panel wtih an appropriate recepticle.

*** And don't forget the proper gauge wire.***

Me-Her-the kids
2015 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020Redwood 3991RD Garnet

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/19 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can run one 15k A/C on a 20 amp outlet as long as I run nothing else. But I would not do it on a long extension cord. On 30 amp you can easily run a 15k A/C plus a few other lower current things. On 50 amp you can run all you want.

Make sure whoever installs the new outlet understand how it should be done.

http://www.myrv.us/electric/

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/19 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whoa Kimo Sabbe! It's a bit more complicated than simply replacing a breaker and receptacle. That is unless your home fire insurance is paid in full, you no longer like your house, and the insurance company won't find you at fault for frying all the wiring inside your box. Generally, 20amp service, (Tee shaped receptacle) uses 12 ga wire, 15amp service (Double I shaped receptacle) uses 14 ga wire. 50amp service uses a minimum of 10ga wire, depending on the length of the run. Simply changing out the breaker and receptacle will allow you to power up you A/C units for a bit as your breaker will not trip. However, your house wiring will then become a substitute for your breaker. Once the wiring gets too hot, it will melt and burn through if you're lucky. If you're not so lucky, it'll simply start a fire and burn your house down. Hire a licensed electrician....Dennis

A Simple Act of Caring Creates an Endless Ripple
Dennis and Debi Ten Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/19 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forget a 20A plug. You might get by on 30A. You'll have no restrictions with 50A.

50A is a 120/240V circuit and RVers use it as 2 50A 120V circuits since it's a very rare RV that 240V appliances. The cons are installation cost and heaver cords and the pros are no RV power limitations.

What is the length of your cords? At my sons house I run 105' of 50A without significant voltage drop.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/19 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have 50amp in our FW and plug in to our 30amp in our house using a 50 - 30 pigtail. We can run only one of our AC's, but one is better than none when needed.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

Timothy2001

Texas and NY

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/19 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Executive wrote:

Whoa Kimo Sabbe! It's a bit more complicated than simply replacing a breaker and receptacle. That is unless your home fire insurance is paid in full, you no longer like your house, and the insurance company won't find you at fault for frying all the wiring inside your box. Generally, 20amp service, (Tee shaped receptacle) uses 12 ga wire, 15amp service (Double I shaped receptacle) uses 14 ga wire. 50amp service uses a minimum of 10ga wire, depending on the length of the run. Simply changing out the breaker and receptacle will allow you to power up you A/C units for a bit as your breaker will not trip. However, your house wiring will then become a substitute for your breaker. Once the wiring gets too hot, it will melt and burn through if you're lucky. If you're not so lucky, it'll simply start a fire and burn your house down. Hire a licensed electrician....Dennis

LOVE THIS! I learned a long time ago what I am capable of, what I am not capable of and what is just plain stupid to attempt and this falls under the later.

Anyone who was in the Navy remembers, "The Deadly Shipmate" and I prefer not to mess with electricity at sea or on land unless it's a simple light switch or house outlet.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> 50 AMP and plugging in at home
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS