cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NC DMV Inspection near Charlotte/Carowinds

GerryEgan
Explorer
Explorer
I've keeping my motorhome outside Columbia, SC, while my wife helps care for her 98 year old mother.

By the end of June I need to bring it home to NC for its annual DMV inspection. Charlotte is the closest place to hit NC conveniently (I-77); preferably without going all the way into Charlotte.

Does anyone know a place that will do the required inspection in the general vicinity of Carowinds amusement park?

Thanks,

Gerry Egan
Raleigh, NC
Gerry Egan
Raleigh, NC
GerryEgan@ForEquipmentLeasing.com

2005 Tiffin Phaeton 40QDH
10 REPLIES 10

GerryEgan
Explorer
Explorer
PastorCharlie is correct that, generally, whether or not an emissions test is required in NC for an annual inspection can vary from county to county.

However, statewide, motor homes over 10,000 lbs. GVW are exempt. So for me, for example, in my home county of Wake, my autos do require an emissions inspection but my motor home (32,000 lbs. GVW) does not.

Here's from the regulations:

Chapter 20 - Article 3A Article 3A. Safety and Emissions Inspection Program. Part 1. Safe Use of Streets and Highways. § 20-183.1

... 20-183.2.  Description of vehicles subject to safety or emissions inspection; definitions.

...(b)        Emissions. - A motor vehicle is subject to an emissions inspection in accordance with this Part if it meets all of the following requirements:

... (8)        It is not a privately owned, nonfleet motor home or house car, as defined in G.S. 20-4.01(27)k., that is built on a single chassis, has a gross vehicle weight of more than 10,000 pounds, and is designed primarily for recreational use.

Many (most?) motor homes do not, then, meet requirement #8 and are therefore exempt from the emissions inspection requirement.

Again, thanks for the replies and assistance!
Gerry Egan
Raleigh, NC

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Inspection requirements in NC are determined by the counties.

What counties in North Carolina do not require emissions testing?

The testing would still be required in 22 counties: Alamance, Buncombe, Cabarrus, Cumberland, Davidson, Durham, Forsyth, Franklin, Gaston, Guilford, Iredell, Johnston, Lee, Lincoln, Mecklenburg, New Hanover, Onslow, Randolph, Rockingham, Rowan, Union and Wake.Jul 26, 2018

EPA vehicle emissions testing eliminated for 26 NC counties ...

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/state/north-carolina/article215557065.html

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
never heard of emission test on a class A coach am I missing something?
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine is registered in MD and no emissions, no personal property tax, and no yearly inspection.

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
sure glad TN doesn't have to do that BS just pay tags by mail or drop in pay 51.00 dollars and done for year that's everything.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
You could use the Google map satellite view to check out access to the facilities that will do the inspection. Here in upstate NY, I use a local truck service shop for the annual safety inspection because access is easy.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

GerryEgan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the quick replies. I should have been clearer about what I was asking.

I'd already looked at the DMV list.

What I was hoping was that one or more of the good people on here maybe had a specific recommendation for one they've used and knew to be easy to access and maneuver in and where the service was friendly to an RV'er.

Most of the ones I've cold-called from the DMV list don't know that it only needs a safety inspection and not the emissions test and think 'maybe' I could get it in there! Maybe? Hmmmmmm.

Thanks,

Gerry Egan
Gerry Egan
Raleigh, NC

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
In Pennsylvania one has 30 days to get a vehicle state inspected after returning from an absence. I'll guess that NC has a similar provision.
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA · W3TLN · FMCA 335149 · Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R · W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed · 2013 Honda Accord EX-L · 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

rk911 wrote:
does this help?

Good link.. to the OP-- - - I typed in Pineville using that site and got 22 hits for the area....
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
does this help?
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle