cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safe Access for Cleaning Windsield

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
At 80 years young, I am slowly recovering from knee replacement surgery and am getting back to RV'ing. Need to get close and personal to thoroughly clean Class C windshield safely . What sort of ladder setup, etc., do you use. Also, trying to find a quality sturdy telescoping RV brush with water/soap flow-through and shutoff/on feature.
16 REPLIES 16

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Picked up my Heinenger Tire Step from Walmart yesterday. Looks sturdy, good quality, comes with durable storage bag. Cost $36 online order, free ship.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the unit washed at a truck wasing facility make sure that if they have wax spray that you also want that on the whole of the C and not just on the cab part, I had the unit done in Palm Springs and had to redo the whole thing so that the house part also had a waxing, on the big rigs they wash the tractor and trailer but only apply wax to the tractor.

navegator

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everybody, the tire steps at Walmart and Amazon, etc. look like the best approach. The Heininger Tire Step looks good, comes in a bag and can be used anywhere to get at the windshield, wipers, and hood.

BTW, I watched a You Tube video about having your MH exterior washed at truck wash places for around $40.

Truck stops are also a good place to look for quality RV care stuff like RV brushes on sturdy telescoping handles.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
I typed folding hanging tire step, and several sites came up the first one was from Amazon and it shows several models, I am on a tablet and have no way of linking sites or even copying anything at all, I keep getting an error mesage from a place in Harlingen Texas, they are advertised on Amazon.

Maybe some one can find the page and place cliky here for everyone else please.

These steps are worth it I have had mine since 2002 and getting the bugs off the windshield is a lot easier, there is only a small triangle in the midle uper area that I do not reach with my arm streched as far as I can lean, but that works with a long handle squeege and a rag.

navegator

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mr navegator,that sounds like an even better one,I have looked high and low for such a step,can you provide a link to that one,Thanks
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. IAMICHABOND yes that is exactly what I use, on the amazon site there is one unit that has two rungs and folds, that unit from what I can see is a better solution it looks as a two rung tire hanging ladder, easier to get on and off.

navegator

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
navegator wrote:
I typed "folding hanging tire step" and I looked in Amazon, they have several models, there is one with two steps that is worth the investment, these were not available when I bought mine.

navegator

Kinda like what I postedJust above your post
Buying A Rental Class C

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
I typed "folding hanging tire step" and I looked in Amazon, they have several models, there is one with two steps that is worth the investment, these were not available when I bought mine.

navegator

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
I use a folding step that hangs on the tire, it allows me to reach just abbout the entire windshield and is perfect for replacing the windshield wipers , the unit folds for storage I purcased mine from the mobile tool supplier MATCO, you might find them at NAPA there are two models one small the one I have and a bigger one for bigger tires.

navegator

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Iam, Wife and I are excited to get back into MH'ing. Our 2004 26Q only has 8000 miles on it and has mostly sat baking in the sun after one cross country tour and one trip up the coast, some local use, then home remodel, wife's two bouts of breast cancer, my carotid clean outs and both knee replacements. Had roof AC unit, fridge, awning and converter replaced 5 years ago, everything else is working and engine runs great. Having Onan generator serviced and house batteries replaced tomorrow and will have pro mechanic check/sevice brakes, cooling system, fuel filter and inspect new-looking Michelins. No side cracks but tires have sat on concrete driveway for years not driven.
That portable wheel step thing looks great for lots of RV and SUV cleaning and other activity, thanks!!

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey Gary good to hear you are recovering and are getting back into RVing again.

As you know I have the same RV and I have found that with age and so on it was getting harder to get to that windshield,so I got One Of These It works out great,adjustable and it fits easily over the front tires.
Buying A Rental Class C

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Camco, Carrand and Ajust-a-brush for squeegees and flow through brushes. I didn't see a flow through with soap but they used to be out there. I have the Adjust A Brush.

I bought a Werner 3 step aluminum step stool, $40 at Lowes. I too am older but I had my knees done years ago. I fell once doing the windshield of the A and have used the step stool since then. Much safer than a ladder.

I don't have a "C" but did rent a couple times, I didn't have an access problem, in what way are you having one. Would a longer handled squeegee/brush work?
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice to hear you re still out there having fun at 80. :B I am just a kid at 67 but even after two TKR's still have the worst knee in Arizona.

I use a long-handled squeegee {like you find at most truck stops} along with a 2 step folder. It collapses flat and fits easily against the wall in the rear storage bay. Using these I can get about 70 percent of the windshield from either side and then the remaining portion is that much easier.

Several coats of Rain X get applied on a regular basis and 303 and/or alcohol will keep your blades supple and extend their life.

:C