cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What adapter for Prodigy P3 & GMC?

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like we're unexpectedly buying a 2012 GMC 2500 because our F250 just died far from home (see post in tow vehicles). Our F250 has a Prodigy P3 brake controller I'd like to install in the GMC. Is that possible or is the GMC designed to have a factory b/c only? It has no b/c controller now.

I just did a little googling and can't seem to find the answer. I need to get the GMC all set up for towing our TT for the next camping trip in a couple of weeks and need to order a new adapter cable if available & needed.

I really like our Prodigy P3 and would rather keep it if possible.
14 REPLIES 14

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
bartlettj wrote:
The big 3 integrated controllers have sway detection and correction. Mine has never fired off, but it is something an aftermarket controller doesn't have. I find that mine works very smoothly and it is nice to have the actuation lever built into the dashboard, and the output level reads right out on the instrument cluster if you select it.

And your foot operates the trailer brakes, not some guess from the accelerometer.

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer
The big 3 integrated controllers have sway detection and correction. Mine has never fired off, but it is something an aftermarket controller doesn't have. I find that mine works very smoothly and it is nice to have the actuation lever built into the dashboard, and the output level reads right out on the instrument cluster if you select it.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO...no better than my P3 (same as P2, but updated display)

Most OEM ITB's are accellerometer based, like the P2 &P3....but...highly integrated....meaning tied into many other on-board computer systems (and subsystems)

Meaning that they maybe ok, but another computer or sensor gone wacky...to take it down. Then the mechanics must be either techies or engineers to diag properly. Else they will just swap parts/systems

Most who have stated they don't like their P2/3 have their setup incorrectly...or better stated, not well

My P3 can stop my Suburban and trailer without ever getting the Suburbans brakes into the game

Key is to have the trailer brakes lead the TV'S brakes and that has to do with the TV brake pedal switch adjustment
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
bartlettj wrote:
It is very likely that the truck has an integrated controller if it is a 2500HD, and they are very good. (I also have a '12 2500HD, previously used a P3). Unless there's something wrong with it it will be better than the P3.

First of all, nice job with the fix myredracer. The Prodigy controllers are very good.

I had one in my older Toyota 4Runner and then transferred it to my new 08 Tundra. It was an easy install. Then I got a new 17 Tundra with a built in BC and it proved to be a piece of junk. It was a "solid state" controller which meant it was a timed controller. I have heard really good things about the big 3 integrated controllers and assumed that mine would be on par. It isn't. I removed it from the dash and installed my P2. I did have to find an adapter so I could install it in the dash. I am a fan of the Prodigy. The GM controllers are good I am assuming but better than a Prodigy? They probably are equal and I would stick with in integrated one for sure but not because they are better, or are they?
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Turned out there was 5 wires hidden way up under the dash. So hidden that I ended up going to a hitch shop. Hooked up the pigtail that I had kept in the original Prodigy box from years ago.

Also had to connect a power wire in the engine compartment next to the fuse box. It too was hard to find with the dust in there and hard to see.

So now the brake controller works great.

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer
It is very likely that the truck has an integrated controller if it is a 2500HD, and they are very good. (I also have a '12 2500HD, previously used a P3). Unless there's something wrong with it it will be better than the P3.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
deltabravo wrote:
MFL wrote:
If it has the 7-pin connector under the bumper, it likely will have an oem supplied connector/adapter in the glove box.

It's a 7 year old truck - if there was such pigtail on the glove box, someone probably removed it years ago.

Maybe/maybe not, but in any case, it would be available from GM. In my experience, the OEM adapters work better than some plug/play after market. YMMV

Jerry

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
MFL wrote:
If it has the 7-pin connector under the bumper, it likely will have an oem supplied connector/adapter in the glove box.

It's a 7 year old truck - if there was such pigtail on the glove box, someone probably removed it years ago.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Got home last night. Phoned Tekonsha this morning. There is no plug-in adapter harness for a 2012 GMC, but GM provided the wires under the dash to hardwire in a brake controller. Apparently there's also a couple of wires under the front hood that have to be connected to as well. Tekonsha is emailing a tech. bulletin showing exactly how to do this so I'm all set.

Fortunately, I kept the original box for the P3 which has the universal hardwire adapter I'll need.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
etrailer.com should have whatever you need. Adapter, entire harness they have it all. Plug and play.

https://www.etrailer.com/t1-2012_GMC_Sierra.htm

Call them if you are unsure about anything.

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
If it has the 7-pin connector under the bumper, it likely will have an oem supplied connector/adapter in the glove box. With Ford these oem connectors need to be hard wired to the controller, but very easy to do, especially for an EE. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jerry

You just need the standard vehicle side pigtail that came with the P3, the GMC will just have wires without a connector.

A 2012 GMC will have a bundle of wires taped to a brace above the brake pedal. This is from memory. The GM blue goes to blue on the P3 pigtail. The GM blue with white goes to red on the p3 pigtail. The GM red with black goes to the P3 black, and the GM white to the P3 white. There may be an orange wire, don't worry about it.

Now go to the underhood power center and find the red wire that is bundled and stuffed between the power center and inner fender towards the rear of the plastic housing. Connect this to the inner stud located on the front of the power center. You need an 8mm fine threaded nut. You may have to install the fuse to power the stud, 30 amp IIRC, this powers up the controller.

But like MFL said the truck has to have the factory 7 pin out back. If it doesn't chances are it is also not pre-wired for the controller.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
I've used my P2 on 3 different tow vehicles. Very easy to move and connect. The P3 is no different.

On GM's the wiring for the brake controller is above the kick panel under the steering wheel. Sometimes they have a connector that only requires a pigtail. If that isn't there they will have the wires bundled with black tape at the end. You'll be able to remove the pig tail for your F-150 and simply wire into the Sierra. If there is a connector under there, call Tekonsha and ask what pig tail you need. Their tech support is really good.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
If it has the 7-pin connector under the bumper, it likely will have an oem supplied connector/adapter in the glove box. With Ford these oem connectors need to be hard wired to the controller, but very easy to do, especially for an EE. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jerry

TKW
Explorer
Explorer
Not familiar with Prodigy P3 but my P2 is connected to my Chevy with an available pig tail to a plug under dash. Factory brake controllers were unheard of those days. If your '12 GMC comes with factory towing package, there must be a plug somewhere under dash. Call Prodigy's customer service and they probably can rush you one of those harnesses. If not, hardwiring these controller to the brake light circuit is relatively easy. Even I can do it.
2002 Chevy 1500HD Crew Cab, 6.0l
2013 Timber Ridge 240RBS
Prodigy Brake Controller