cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attaching screws to aluminum floor joists

DavinD
Explorer
Explorer
Short Version - Is it ok to use self-tapping screws to attach items to the aluminum floor joists on the ceiling of my basement.

Long Version - Like most basements, mine has a thin divider "protecting" the pluming and wiring from the stuff I store in the basement. That divider is only attached at the floor of the basement and on the two outside walls. In addition, they left a lot of open space in the "protected" area that can be used for storage if I clean up a few wires, etc. When I reconfigure this divider, would it be ok to attach wood framing to the underside of the aluminum floor joists to give the divider better support at the top. I would likely use self-tapping screws.
2018 Coachman Chaparral 381RD

TV - 2013 Ford F350 Diesel SRW 4x4 Short Bed

11 REPLIES 11

deadticket8
Explorer
Explorer
I love rivets. A rivet gun is a must have for rvers and it has come in real handy around the house as well. If you go with self tappers, stay away from home cheapo and lose. They sell crappy ones. (spelling intentional).

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Put some never-seize on the screws. It will act as a minimal barrier for electrolytic corrosion. Yes, you can attach wood to aluminum. You could even attach aluminum to aluminum if there is a source that is close to you and you can work with aluminum.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

mapguy
Explorer
Explorer
Use rivet nuts -that way you can r&r the dividing panels an endless amount of times. With sheet metal screws -you will get a limited amount of r&r's before threads are gone and larger screws are needed.

DavinD
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. If my basement ceiling gets wet, I've got bigger problems. 🙂
2018 Coachman Chaparral 381RD

TV - 2013 Ford F350 Diesel SRW 4x4 Short Bed

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
I did to my current and past units and not a hint of a problem. As said if it's dry you wont have a problem.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Plated screws are FINE!!! I would suggest trying sheet metal screws first as the driller screw will remove a lot of material and the aluminum does not have the holding power as other metals.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps insert plastic concrete anchors in the aluminum and then the screws into the plastic anchors.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
I would not expect electrolytic corrosion to be much of a problem generally with aluminum because of the aluminum oxide that always coats the aluminum. Certain conditions (such as in car cooling systems with the wrong coolant) being exceptions. If the OP’s screws stay dry, or see only fresh water at near neutral pH, there should be no issue with electrolytic corrosion.

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
SDcampowneroperator wrote:
electrolitic corrosion happens between dissimmilar metals. Maybe use aluminum pop rivets instead?

If it is a dry location corrosion should not be a problem. On our boat there are Stainless screws into the aluminum masts. They get wet and then dry. They have been there for 56 years and are still all fine.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
electrolitic corrosion happens between dissimmilar metals. Maybe use aluminum pop rivets instead?

tbr2015
Explorer
Explorer
Can’t see why that would be a problem. I have done it on mine to attach things to them.