cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do you think I can use 2 of 6V LED in the row with 12V.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 of solar-charged motion-detecting LED safety lights.
The battery in 1 already died and I assume the other will do soon.
I don't want to spend money for new batteries as I don't need the lights that much, but hate to dispose some good technology.
So I am thinking about putting those 2 in the row and make RV emergency lights with them, but when I open the box, I found maze of wires with 2 electronic boards.
When 1 board is for motion sensor, the other seems to control the battery and solar charger.
Either way, that is above my electronic knowledge, so maybe somebody knows if just cutting the wires for the LED and hooking them directly to power source will make them work?

14 REPLIES 14

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I gave up on the idea of making the panel a permanent fixture in my RV and converted the light to 12V, with cord in on it.
This way I can use it for camp set-up, or in emergencies.
Also converted only 4 out of 5 panels, to avoid higher heat.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Back from my long vacations, although driving 8000 miles is not giving that much rest.
So now I am working on 2nd panel after 1st burned some LEDs when I rewire it to have rows of 4 LED. It did work for some time (and still does) but looks like 14.5V the converter gives me and lack of heat exchange at converted fixture made the whole thing too hot.
So I am trying to connect 6 LEDs in the row (multiplying them on the panel) and the thing will not light up. I rechecked it several times both ways and when I connect row of 4 to 12.5V battery, they will work, but row of 6 will not.
The DC/DV converter wa8yxnm mention not only cost money, but they would not fit in the fixture.
So any other suggestions?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok I will say again if you put the two panels in series they need to be absolutely identical. Even one burned out led will toast both panels.

BUT. YOu can get a DC/DC converter This works rather well around 90% or efficient.. and converts 12 volts to anywhere between a volt or 2 and around 10. (Some are adjustable) Allelectronics.com has some usually on sale (right now it's a UP-Verter that's on sale not a down)

YOu see magic happen when you use one of these. By Magic I mean if the LED's are powerful enough they might draw say 2 amps.. And the DC/DC converter will be putting out 2 amps. but the INPUT will only be one.

It not only converted 12 volts to six. but ``1 amp to 2 (Watts remain the same though `12/12)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Well.... first night with hook up and the 14.5V my converter supply did overheat the lights.
The silver plastic melted on one side and about 55% of LED burned out.
The rest still work, but the light output seem low.
So when I liked the light output, the reliability sucks. I think for winter season I will convert 2nd light panel I have into 3-row system, what should give it good reliability.
Will see how much dimmer LED will be.
Watch and learn.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I already installed the new panel in camper and comparing it to other fixtures it is like

The panel takes o.66 amp and having it with front holder I hope to avoid overheating issues I had with self-sticking panels.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Rewiring works.
Having mechanical skills, I can't test electronic board, but I can figure out parallel vs row routing.
So I cut the circuit board to separate LED on 2 separate halves.
Here is first test, what light up 48 LED and confirm I am on right track.

Click For Full-Size Image.
Than I found new use for the lights. In my camper main light, I put LED panels into old fluorescent fixtures. Even with 8 of small panels - DW complain about darkness.
So having "there is not such thing like too much light" in mind- I went extra way to connect the 12 LED that were cut off in the center.
Here is how the final wiring and front effect come up.
I wire it with no voltage regulator, so I'll see if 14V I might have in the camper will create an issue.

Thanks CA Traveler for the idea and for all contributions.

Wild_Bill_888
Explorer
Explorer
Suggest you include a poor mans current regulator (6 or12v filament light bulb) in series with the ledโ€™s. The higher the bulb wattage the brighter the ledโ€™s. If you donโ€™t get enough light put the ledโ€™s in parallel or a separate bulb for each light.

It helps to have a collection of old bulbs.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
You say the second one hasn't failed yet. Open it up and measure the voltage going to the wires you're showing.

Do you understand the difference between parallel and series circuits?

If you wire them in parallel, they both get the same voltage.
If you wire them in series, each one gets 1/2 of the voltage.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
about $15 for mid-grade that last 2 years.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
How much are new batteries?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
You can buy 2x 80W 12V LED flood lights for $18 but what fun is that?

I converted a small 120V LED sewing machine light to 12V. LEDs are about 3V each so 4 in series works on 12V DC. I modified the wiring to connect groups of 4 in parallel. I was left with a group of 3 to which I added a resistor.

Hey, thanks for the idea.
The light has 60 LEDs and I open the back to find they are soldered in couples.
The 2 solders close together is the LED and inside big loops you see small bridges making couples.
Now with 108F weather, I had good Margarita today, so can't think where to cut the circuit and re-solder it for 12V, but will let you know how it works tomorrow.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
> Do you think I can use 2 of 6V LED in the row with 12V.

Yes I would give it a go. Don't bypass any internal voltage regulator. If they really are 6v LED lamps then it will work fine. But even the typical RV replacement lamp is regulated to work from about 10 to 30 volts.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can buy 2x 80W 12V LED flood lights for $18 but what fun is that?

I converted a small 120V LED sewing machine light to 12V. LEDs are about 3V each so 4 in series works on 12V DC. I modified the wiring to connect groups of 4 in parallel. I was left with a group of 3 to which I added a resistor.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I Would not recommend it. If the two light assemblies are exactly the same voltage ... They it will work. Else it won't.

now there is a device called a DC-DC converter. this takes 12vdc and depending on the type can make it most anything you need... In this case you need a "Buck" type unit makes six out of 12.

or the proper resistor. but the DC-DC Converter...... Better. A few dollars at All Electronics dot com.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times