cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding Exterior Wall Studs

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did post this question several months ago but got no reponse so, I thought I would throw it out there again.
I have a aluminum sided trailer with wood construction. I would like to locate the exterior wall studs. I have a quality electronic stud finder and I have tried the magnet and knocking method with no results.

I can locate the wall studs on the inside of the trailer with the stud finder and transfer that to the outside but this does not work when cabinets and appliances are in the way.

What's your method for finding exterior wall studs.
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.
7 REPLIES 7

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Using the condensation pictures as a guide measuring and determining stud locations inside and outside is easy.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
Both look like great devices but I wonder if they work through aluminum siding. I have a decent electronic stud finder that works great inside the trailer and on dry wall but does not work at all on the outside aluminum skin.
I have tried the IR gun but it did not show any variance but that said I did not have the heat on inside the trailer and I think that may be necessary to see temperature changes.
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Here
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
As another poster said very easy look on a cool morning with condensation each stud will have a pattern on the siding where it's located.

shepfly
Explorer
Explorer
Lookup Walbot , it attaches to a smart phone and allows you to see what's inside a wall. I haven't used this device. Dave

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure why you need to know stud locations, but you can try tapping with a nylon faced hammer on the exterior skin. If you look inside upper and lower cabinets you may see where they ran screws through 1x1 into the studs. *If* you can make an assumption that studs go from floor to ceiling, if you look closely, you can find the tiny staples at go through the luan plywood into the studs.

CA Traveler wrote:
On a cool morning I took pictures of the condensation patterns on the outside.
Or if you get a IR gun, you might be able to easily tell where there's a temp. diff. An IR gun is a good tool to have anyway.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
On a cool morning I took pictures of the condensation patterns on the outside.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob