cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Websites mapping free camping spots

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
I was going through my Favorites list and found some of the websites that I used to use to find free campsites/boondocking locations are no longer present. I know there are a few url's listed in the Boondocking Resources sticky at the top of the page, but I thought I'd post a specific topic to see if anyone has some sites I could add to my list.

The two main ones I have now are:

Free Camping page on compendium.com

and

freecampsites.net

Anyone have something else to add? Much appreciated.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)
6 REPLIES 6

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
vermilye wrote:
While not listing only free campsites, the Ultimate Public Campground List includes many free campgrounds. They do not list any commercial campgrounds. Website or app.
Clicky

That was on my list but I forgot to include. Thanks!
Ken & Allison
(You get the idea!)

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
caver wrote:
Slightly off topic but several years ago I was going to end up about 250 miles away from home after work starting a 3 week vacation. From the rvparkreviews site it gave me the impression of a sketchy trailer park. Looking at maps I see a Missouri DNR spot further on down the road and not far off my route. I find the webpage and it allows camping at a spot with about 4 crude sites. It was not listed on freecampsites so when I had time that became my first entry to freecampsites. About a year later after another review that agreed with my original assessment I got a 3rd or 4th review. GATE WAS LOCKED WOULD NOT RECOMMEND!! Well I responded to that as there is NO gate so they were lost. A previous reviewer gave even more detailed directions. I travel with a dedicated GPS and my location was spot on. What I have learned after adding a few more new sites to freecampsites and also finding errors in other entries is that they are very responsive in correcting bad info. I added a site last year in Idaho that was very confusing with another pay site a few hundred feet away down in a ravine. I warned them about the confusion and they emailed me with some back and forth discussion. It is now published and they put my remarks in about the confusion as the other site is larger and not free. Off soapbox ๐Ÿ™‚

Another story of looking for unique camping spots not always working: A few years ago we followed GPS coordinates to a campgrounds that was listed as an off the beaten path inexpensive but nice campgrounds. I don't know if the campgrounds had disappeared some years before or the person that posted had messed up the coordinates but there was a nice pasture of cows when we got to the GPS location. We have learned that is all part of the adventure and we wandered cross lots on back roads for another hour or so till we found a backup location (lucky we only had a small truck camper so not a big deal). Backup was not as secluded but nice, the owners were off on an errand and their 90+ year old grandmother checked us in, all in paper ledgers, no computer visible anywhere. I asked if they had WiFi and she asked what that was ๐Ÿ™‚

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
While not listing only free campsites, the Ultimate Public Campground List includes many free campgrounds. They do not list any commercial campgrounds. Website or app.

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, I realize things aren't always as advertised, but it gives me some options to investigate. Usually use satellite and/or street view to confirm as much as I can before heading out to somewhere with no spots or, even worse, no turnaround.
Ken & Allison
(You get the idea!)

caver
Nomad
Nomad
Slightly off topic but several years ago I was going to end up about 250 miles away from home after work starting a 3 week vacation. From the rvparkreviews site it gave me the impression of a sketchy trailer park. Looking at maps I see a Missouri DNR spot further on down the road and not far off my route. I find the webpage and it allows camping at a spot with about 4 crude sites. It was not listed on freecampsites so when I had time that became my first entry to freecampsites. About a year later after another review that agreed with my original assessment I got a 3rd or 4th review. GATE WAS LOCKED WOULD NOT RECOMMEND!! Well I responded to that as there is NO gate so they were lost. A previous reviewer gave even more detailed directions. I travel with a dedicated GPS and my location was spot on. What I have learned after adding a few more new sites to freecampsites and also finding errors in other entries is that they are very responsive in correcting bad info. I added a site last year in Idaho that was very confusing with another pay site a few hundred feet away down in a ravine. I warned them about the confusion and they emailed me with some back and forth discussion. It is now published and they put my remarks in about the confusion as the other site is larger and not free. Off soapbox ๐Ÿ™‚

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
I use those and also the AllStays paid app. AllStays offers some features even when you have no internet.

Use caution with the so-called free sites lists. Beyond the obvious that some of them call up to $10 "free," I have found much incorrect info. Some places are no longer free, some are no longer legal, some places have been closed.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed