Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: Braking System Recommendation
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Supplemental Braking Systems

> Braking System Recommendation

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/19 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing I learned about the ready-brake that was used on my 08 wrangler was the cable needed to be adjusted when both vehicles were on a flat and stable surface. I once adjusted it when the toad was in the garage and the MH was on a slight incline, oh boy.

Once it is adjusted I never had a reason to adjust it again. i simply lifted the cable to check the allowable slack and went on my way. When first installed I mounted a camera to record the brake pedal travel and drove around the neighborhood.

Now, your issue may be with the hitch sliding properly into itself. One of my ready-brakes had a slight weld chip inside the tube, they advised me to push the plunger down inside the tube to check travel and it worked flawlessly.

As far as the comment concerning the resistance of the tube sliding into itself. Surge brakes on trailers have been around for a very long time. We have a contractors trailer with a million miles on it that has been abused and it slides in and out just fine with little to no maintenance.

computermonkey

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/19 06:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My two cents.
We us a BrakeBuddy Select II in a 2005 Jeep Wrangler. This has worked good for us. It was suggested by a shop that has installed several different version (not a dealer for just one). He claim this was the one they had the list problem with. No returns for issues. There was an incident where we where driving our Truck camper in road construction during a heavy rain storm. It was one lane. We where doing 55mph when all of a sudden traffic stopped (couldn't see a head) I had to hit the brakes hard. We stopped so fast I couldn't believe it. The suburban behind us almost ran in to the Jeep(following to close). Support has been awesome. Plus their support is US base.

2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4
2016 Eagle Cap 960
Old camper
2004 Jayco Talon ZX
1998 2500 Suburban with Cummins 6BT

harley-dave

ummm, where are we again..

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/19 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use a Demco Stay-N-Play Duo for our toad. Energizes the power brake system on the toad so it doesn't require much force on the pedal. Works great for us.

Dave

2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Supplemental Braking Systems

> Braking System Recommendation
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS