Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailers, Trucks and Toy's Oh My...

G__Allen
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings Everyone!

My wife and I have been saving money for a couple of years and we are looking at replacing our Truck and looking at purchasing a toy hauler with a 4 seat side by side.

I've done exhaustive research on the products (trailers, Trucks and Toys) What I didn't consider was the impact to our credit when we make these purchases. Has anyone on here just gone "All In" so to speak with going into this? Do I need to plan on buying all items within short succession of one another?

Our buying power is not an issue for us as we have great credit and the ability to pay for said items.

Below is what we are looking at, I would appreciate your thoughts on any of these if you have them. I'm not a brand loyalist when it comes to trucks, I have a 2017 Dodge 1500 right now. I picked the Ford because I like the options better than the new 3500 Dodge Dually's.

2020- Grand Design Momentum 381M
2019/2020- Ford 450
2020- Can Am Maverick X3 Max

Thanks for your consideration, I'm looking forward to being a part of this community!!!

Glen
22 REPLIES 22

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely I have.
It was nice but I didn’t need it.
And not worth the cost increase of $7k over my F350

Not like I am doing u turns all the time in my truck.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

1jeep
Explorer
Explorer
lincster....have you driven one with the wide track front, if not try one. However you will want one after and then the feel of needing it begins!

i wont go back, so if/when i trade my 2016 in it will have to be for a 450.
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
1jeep wrote:
lincster wrote:
Sign and drive baby!!!!
What makes America great.
U only live once. Do what makes u happy.

F450 is overkill, unless u just want it.

The new F350 will be within all of its ratings with that trailer.

the old f350drw was capable also, but to get the wide track front axle you now have to get a 450.

Want and need are different.

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

rovyart
Explorer
Explorer
That sounds like an interesting setup. Would love to know how it turns out.
fifth wheel

1jeep
Explorer
Explorer
lincster wrote:
Sign and drive baby!!!!

the old f350drw was capable also, but to get the wide track front axle you now have to get a 450.
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

Rockinfigs
Explorer
Explorer
Just go for it and enjoy bro...you only live once..I just traded in my 2017 F250 diesel and bought a 2019 F350 and a new 2020 attitude 3218mm 5th wheel..bought both in Nov 2018, my score has not budged. I just checked it yesterday and still strong:)
2019 Ford f350 cclb 6.7 diesel black sports package
2020 eclipse attitude 3218mm
2014 rzr 4 800

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Sign and drive baby!!!!

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Someone already made mention of this for the OHV but it's worth repeating and adding on a bit more.

If you are new to both OHV and RVs, be prepared to spend a good deal of money after the initial "big" purchases. Someone already said to be prepared to dump more into the OHV although I'm not sure if I agree with the over all amount. However, best to note just about everyone gets hit with the OHV accessories/upgrade bug. So many things to personalize on an OHV and it will start to add up.

Likewise, the same is going to happen with regards to the RV. There will be a fair amount of "stuff" you'll end up buying to outfit the new RV if you've never owned one before. If you have owned one, then you probably have a majority of the "stuff". If you are in need to outfit the RV and want to watch what you spend, consider buying items at second hand stores to outfit the kitchen/dining.
I love me some land yachting

jbc28
Explorer
Explorer
G. Allen wrote:
Greetings Everyone!

My wife and I have been saving money for a couple of years and we are looking at replacing our Truck and looking at purchasing a toy hauler with a 4 seat side by side.

I've done exhaustive research on the products (trailers, Trucks and Toys) What I didn't consider was the impact to our credit when we make these purchases. Has anyone on here just gone "All In" so to speak with going into this? Do I need to plan on buying all items within short succession of one another?

Our buying power is not an issue for us as we have great credit and the ability to pay for said items.

Below is what we are looking at, I would appreciate your thoughts on any of these if you have them. I'm not a brand loyalist when it comes to trucks, I have a 2017 Dodge 1500 right now. I picked the Ford because I like the options better than the new 3500 Dodge Dually's.

2020- Grand Design Momentum 381M
2019/2020- Ford 450
2020- Can Am Maverick X3 Max

Thanks for your consideration, I'm looking forward to being a part of this community!!!

Glen

I like your taste in trucks and toyhaulers. I picked up a 2019 381m this weekend to go with a 2018 F450. It is a well matched combo. The 15' garage is great.
2018 F450 Lariat Ultimate
2019 Momentum 381M

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
Your credit score (debt score as Dave Ramsey calls it) will take a hit with multiple loans.
I just finished building my house and didn’t want to deal with the hassle of a construction loan. Over the course of a year I borrowed against the paid off land, took a personal line of credit and used 4 credit cards totaling about $150k. The rest was savings and working lots of OT for a total of Just over $400k.
I just bought a new Class C last week and my score dropped almost 200 points and added 2% to my RV loan.
I’m paying a lot of interest but I’m going to get a first mortgage around 4% and pay everything off.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
Many years ago we did the same thing. Used our Credit Union for new truck, trailer, and utv loans. We negotiated with the dealers. Got a Bill of sale for each purchase took them to the Credit Union and was issued a check for each purchase. Next morning we picked up the truck drove over to the RV dealership had hitch installed and picked up FW and then to the Polaris dealership to pick up the Ranger. Looking back it was probable not the wisest financial chose but it sure was exciting and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Credit score and bank accounts will both build back up.

G__Allen
Explorer
Explorer
Well good for her! That's really helpful, I will look into some of the credit unions in my area and see what our options are for that route. Thank you again for your input!

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
G. Allen wrote:
Thank you eDubz! When you did all three at one shot did you go with a credit union or just a regular bank? We have been bank with Wells Fargo for years, but i've heard many times now that a credit union is where the better rates are at. What are your thoughts on this?

Thank you again! Very Helpful!

Glen

I too have Wells Fargo for personal and business checking and the credit unions always beat them.
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

dedmiston
G. Allen wrote:
Thank you eDubz! When you did all three at one shot did you go with a credit union or just a regular bank? We have been bank with Wells Fargo for years, but i've heard many times now that a credit union is where the better rates are at. What are your thoughts on this?

Thank you again! Very Helpful!

Glen

We bought a new car, a new to us truck (see sig), and new toy hauler (see sig) all in the span of two months. We used my credit union instead of our bank. The CU gave great rates and didn't balk at the three large purchases so close to each other. I got to know my rep really well and she took great care of us. But then dumb me made a big production out of praising her to her supervisor and then she was immediately promoted to some other branch.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230