Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Online Oil Filter Dissection And Discussion
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Online Oil Filter Dissection And Discussion

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 09:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Common sense (grade) demonstration. Worthwhile watching.

SAR Tracker

Central Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 09:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Link?

Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

MEXICOWANDERER

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 10:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stick & brick Mexican bed collapsed. Sorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTNJLEV8CG8

landyacht318

Near a large body of salty water

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 11:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I Like the Fram Ultra XG8a in my LA318(not dissected in the linked video), but I'd like it more if it had the thread end bypass instead of the dome end bypass. I use an Fram Ultra XG16 on my Derale remote transmission filter mount on the cooler lines.

Wire backed synthetic media with good flow and some of the best efficiency numbers of any oil filter, like 99% at 20 microns IIRC, and rated for 15 or 20K miles, silicone Anti-drainback valve and under 10$ at wally world or online. Next favorite is the Mobil 1 M1-301 which has a very thick can, and thread end bypass silicone ADBV, but glass media, not wire backed and 13 to 14$.

Note the Fram Ultra is a whole different filter than the OCOD ( orange can of death) that the internet has fully villified for its fiberboard endcaps, largely unwarranted.
I am not really fond of the combined antidrainback and bypass valve design on most Wix oil filters, seems like it could get kinked sideways, and stay partially in bypass with no antidrainback function.

I've not tried many others lately, the others I have tried were not made by the same factory/owners as they now are, so any opinions on those are no longer relevant.

Until something with better features for a lower price comes along, I will be sticking with the Fram Ultra, no matter who types the loudest, and will likely be using it for 2 oil change intervals, as I am doing with the currently installed one.

The FU XG16 on my ATF cooler lines might be able to be considered a lifetime filter. The in pan ATF filter is rated at somthing like 50% efficiency at 70 microns and are often referred to as 'rock catchers'.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/19 11:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have not used a Fram filter since about 1985, used Purelator for many years. Once I got my Ram/Cummins I went with Fleetguard filters for the Ram, I noticed larger feed holes. I have never cut one open.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

MEXICOWANDERER

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/19 01:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LUBERFINER the famous maker of the 3 micron bypass filter on so many tens of millions of big rigs in last sixty years is supposed to have one heck of a filter for cars now. Baldwin and Wix were the standard big rig filters then came Fleetgard.

soren

Lancaster County PA

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/19 05:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

landyacht318 wrote:

Note the Fram Ultra is a whole different filter than the OCOD ( orange can of death) that the internet has fully villified for its fiberboard endcaps, largely unwarranted.

I had a start up death rattle on a 2.7 Dodge engine. It was concerning if the vehicle sat overnight, and horrific if it sat a few days. I was DIYing the oil changes with dino and the orange cans at 5K intervals. A mechanic suggested I lose the Fram. I literally spent a few cents more for the commodity grade Purolator and the problem disappeared. The car was the infamous Intrepid and the motor had a horrible rep. for sludging. After the Fram mess, it continues in service, nineteen years later, with over 300K on it.

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/19 06:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wix for me and Rock auto has a deep discount going on right now.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/19 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was hoping they would cut open the Mobil 1 filter I use [emoticon]

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/19 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FRAM is pure JUNK. They have bought many Cummins engines from rubber coming loose and plugging piston cooling nozzles.

Wix and NAPA Gold are ok but if you want top quality buy FleetGuard Stratapore or Donaldson. Donaldson makes the AMZ/OIL filters and are superior to the FleetGuard Stratapore.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Online Oil Filter Dissection And Discussion
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS