cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flat tow P/U to carry motorcycle

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a 24’ Class C and have a 13 Jeep Wrangler set up for flat towing.
I would like to be able to tow a vehicle and also take my motorcycles but I’m hesitant to carry a 400 lb load on the hitch of a 2 door Wrangle being towed.
What would be a good reliable P/U, (preferably 4x4) capable of carrying a 600 lb bike in the bed? I would prefer something older and less expensive as it would only be used for this purpose and I would keep the Jeep.
I’ve heard the older 2x4 Ford Rangers with manual trans are easy to flat tow?
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650
9 REPLIES 9

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
Aluminum body F150 would fit the bill nicely. Yes, 4x4 is required for flat-towing. Ditto the Ranger unless you can find manual transmission. Don't forget the Mazda B-series (B-xx00 where X = engine liters) was a rebadged Ranger, and often for sale for less $.

2WD automatic truck can be flat towed with a driveline disconnect, also many newer 4x4 still need a driveline disconnect..

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Aluminum body F150 would fit the bill nicely. Yes, 4x4 is required for flat-towing. Ditto the Ranger unless you can find manual transmission. Don't forget the Mazda B-series (B-xx00 where X = engine liters) was a rebadged Ranger, and often for sale for less $.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
I towed a Ranger for several years. Rampage lift in the bed to load the Harley. I now pull an F-150 ... wish I still had the Ranger.

I had taken the Ranger into the Ford dealer for oil and tire rotation after a trip to Utah in 2015. They said I was due for a tranny fluid change. I din't have time for that, but then they offered my a loaner, so I said go ahead. 7-8 hours later they call and say they had an accident servicing the Ranger. I drive over and the Ranger was burnt to a crisp under the hood. All wires melter, radiator melted,ect. Seems the tech was heating up the tranny by running the motor fast and got distracted by his cell phone... overheated the tranny, fluid poured out the dip stick tube and ignited.
The initially said they would fix it, I said the damage was too extensive. After a couple days, they said I was right and it was not reasonable to fix. I told them they needed to pay me book value for the truck along with the added items such as base plate, ladder rack,etc. They declined and offered me less than 1/2 book. After much back and forth with no progress I told them I was going to the newspaper and the local TV news channel. That got them to relent and pay me the fair value of the truck. Thus I ended up with a new F-150. So who was this truck dealer, It was Brandon Ford, the highest volume Ford truck dealer in the world, or so they say. All I can say is STAY AWAY from them. Long story, but I try to spread the word

Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
FireGuard wrote:
The MH has a 7500 lb tow rating.
Does it matter if the Rangers are 4WD or not for flat towing?

Well Sir,
Some will grab a 2WD Ranger that's a stick version and tow it. But, I'm not sure what the "Dinghy Towing Guide" says about any 2WD "Stick" version truck, of any make, guess it's worth a look-see. But, we tow our '11 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4 and, we have a Rampage lift/carrier in the back that carries our '08 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing. The truck weighs right at 5,300 lbs. The lift hovers close to 250 lbs. And the Wing, right close to 900 lbs. So, we're dragging plus or minus, about 6,7000 lbs. with our setup.
Scott

P.S. Sorry about the picture size. I gotta figure out how to shrink it before posting it.

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
If ratings matter to you, you are likely rated to only tow 5000 pounds with that motorhome. Good luck finding a pickup plus 600 pounds in that weight range.

Brand New 2WD Toyota Tacoma Ext Cab 4 Cylinder with a 6 foot bed weights 4000 lbs and has a payload up to 1600 lbs..

See that was a easy find...

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
The MH has a 7500 lb tow rating.
Does it matter if the Rangers are 4WD or not for flat towing?
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
my 94 ranger is flat towable, have the baseplates and all, just havent had time to install.

Its a 4.0 supercab with the 5 speed trans There are always a bunch in good condition out here for sale fairly cheap not all beat up. Check craigslist.

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
I flat towed a Ford Ranger long bed with good success. The curb weight was around 3900 lbs. That would allow for reasonable headroom.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
If ratings matter to you, you are likely rated to only tow 5000 pounds with that motorhome. Good luck finding a pickup plus 600 pounds in that weight range.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010