Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camping in Minnesota

Bevteacher4
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All!
It has been awhile since I have posted, but have a couple of trips in mind and would like some advice!
How bad will mosquitoes be in Minnesota in August and September?
And planning a trip out to Badlands National Park and Devils Tower. Any advice on finding gas stations? Or anything else needed?
I am a widow and travel by myself and this would be the farthest I have gone alone.

And for any of those that helped me before, Thank you! My trips out to Allegheny, Niagara Falls, and to UP of Michigan were all successful!

Thanks,
17 REPLIES 17

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
He He . I never thought of MN as "Out West". You all seem the think that once you cross the Mississippi that you will find nothing but prairie grass, buffaloes, and Native Americans living in Teepees or something. lol

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ppine wrote:
Mosquitoes are always around near water in MN. By late August that are not so bad. By mid spetember they are not that much of a problem.

In rural states like SD and WY keep your gas tank more than half full and you will be fine.

^What he said.
Skeeters usually tail off quite a bit by mid Sept unless it's remained extremely warm.
In many years of driving Western States, I feel its never been more than about 100mi to a gas station. However, the easiest peace of mind ever is an extra can of gas if it's of concern to you.

Good luck in your travels!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
realter wrote:
Gas stations are few and far apart in SD, NE and MN. I suggest you stay home back in Indiana to be safe.

Man, don't be a dink to her.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Anytime I travel out West I fill up before I leave town. I also carry an extra five gallons of gas, in case I run out. At 10 mpg or less towing, I leave as little as possible to luck.

I agree, late August early September has been about the best for our canoe trips in northern MN.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't remember the mosquito's along Lake Superior north shore being bad that time of year. Gooseberry SP is a nice stop along the north shore, similar to the UP along Lake Superior if you like that. If you are going to the Badlands I would also stop at Custer state park, Wind Cave and or Jewel Cave also. Wind Cave has a CG and is a lot easier to get a campsite especially during the middle of the week in Aug and you can visit all the other sites I mention from there. In September as you know the kids are back in school so finding camp sites at the NP's and SP's are a lot easier. Being a school teacher you might find a trip to Mt Rushmore interesting also. Good luck on your trip.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Like others have said by August and September the mosquitoes usually aren't very bad. Spring is usually when they are prolific. And as others have said how wet a year plays a role as well. I spend a lot of time a year around Northern MN.

The mosquitoes come out in full force around dusk.

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
Addy15 wrote:
Mosquito problems in Minnesota kind of depend on the weather. If we have a very dry summer, by August they might not be so bad. And if nights get cool enough in September, mosquitoes could be virtually non-existent by then, especially up north. If we have a wet summer though (which so far it's kind of looking like that's going to be the case), mosquitoes will probably be a problem. If you are in the woods near water, mosquitoes are going to be an issue. Just be prepared.

If you are looking for a relatively mosquito-free experience, I would recommend the far southeast part of Minnesota. In particular, around the Whitewater State Park area near Rochester. The website for that park in particular lists the "noticeable lack of mosquitoes" as one of its highlights! It is said that the trout streams in the area are cold enough that mosquitoes have a hard time breeding.

Mosquitoes can drive you to distraction. I live in Alabama, we have a long growing seasons for crops, and we have a couple of crops of mosquitoes. Our weather doesn't really get cold enough to stop them. In January or February,What passes for our Winter, if the temps climb in mid day, here come the mosquitoes.

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
Mosquitoes are always around near water in MN. By late August that are not so bad. By mid spetember they are not that much of a problem.

In rural states like SD and WY keep your gas tank more than half full and you will be fine.

Years ago I got in a predicament looking for gas in WY.
It seems the 'Wide Open Spaces' really were. I made it. (Barely)

Seems like on that same trip, I paid $5.00/gallon in the middle of Yellowstone. They were 75-100 miles from the nearest station.
If something like that ever happens to you...
Grin and bare it... No telling what the price of fuel is these days.
THAT TRIP TAUGHT ME TO CARRY A 5 GALLON 'JERRY CAN' OF FUEL WITH ME.

Even today I try to fuel up before I get down to 1/2 tank.
Have a great trip. Your driving thru some pretty country.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I drove through that area with a Toyota RV with a 200 mile to empty tank. I would fill up at 150 and never had a problem. Yo are rarely over 50 miles from a gas station if you are on the interstate. Plan accordingly.
My current truck has 250 mile comfortable range. I fill at 200.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

realter
Explorer
Explorer
Gas stations are few and far apart in SD, NE and MN. I suggest you stay home back in Indiana to be safe.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Addy15 wrote:
Mosquito problems in Minnesota kind of depend on the weather. If we have a very dry summer, by August they might not be so bad. And if nights get cool enough in September, mosquitoes could be virtually non-existent by then, especially up north. If we have a wet summer though (which so far it's kind of looking like that's going to be the case), mosquitoes will probably be a problem. If you are in the woods near water, mosquitoes are going to be an issue. Just be prepared.

If you are looking for a relatively mosquito-free experience, I would recommend the far southeast part of Minnesota. In particular, around the Whitewater State Park area near Rochester. The website for that park in particular lists the "noticeable lack of mosquitoes" as one of its highlights! It is said that the trout streams in the area are cold enough that mosquitoes have a hard time breeding.

Yup, and I have found that mosquitoes are the worst around sunset. If you plan to be inside around that time you can avoid; some; of them. I often go for drive around sunset, or go to a event indoors somewhere.

Addy15
Explorer
Explorer

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
How did those monster, Alaskan-variety mosquitos get so far south? 😉
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

sneakygroundbuz
Explorer
Explorer
the skeeters here in Mn,especially near water,get so big they make whoopie to geese and the geese seem to like it lol

get yourself some therma cells and you will be fine