cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dawson city

Seamutt
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone care to recommend a RV park in Dawson City, thanks.
10 REPLIES 10

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Love the Government CG across the river. Easy walk to riverboat graveyard. Ferry runs just about 24/7 so going to town is easy. If I wanted to be jammed up to my neighbors I could stay in the lower 48. The Yukon CGs are very special.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

lonnie4801
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed in Dawson City Campground 3 times. They have an RV wash.

Depending on the services you need, or the size of your rig, the provincial park on the other side of Yukon River is a possibility. We have never stayed there, or even driven through it, but may work for you. It would depend on how long you are staying and if you want to use the amenities of the town. The ferry is free and only taken about 45 minutes a round trip. Don't remember when they start and end.
2007 HR Ambassador 40'
2015 Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
West Texas, Retired

Fulltimers. No more grass to cut, no more leaves to rake, and can move if we don't like our neighbors.

Have driven or camped in 49 states. Have camped in all Provinces in Canada.

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
AKsilvereagle wrote:
Dawson City isn't that friendly for dogs anymore.

Funny how this is mentioned -

I always got a kick out of the locals allowing their dogs run a muck all over town unsupervised and unrestrained wandering around on their own....I would guess this is probably why Dawson would not be dog friendly now if they had ongoing problems pertaining to this.

I would see a few fox always sneak into town between the hours of 300am to 430am wondering around as they know the least activity time for humans and dogs....

My dog used to think she owned Dawson every time she visited there as I had to keep her restrained during daytime hours the majority of the time because of all the loose dogs she wanted to bully as I tell her they live here - you don't.

Hi AKsilvereagle, by the time we were there Dawson City had to crack down because of all the dogs running through out the town got out of hand. We'll be making another journey up your way,maybe we can meet.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

AKsilvereagle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dawson City isn't that friendly for dogs anymore.

Funny how this is mentioned -

I always got a kick out of the locals allowing their dogs run a muck all over town unsupervised and unrestrained wandering around on their own....I would guess this is probably why Dawson would not be dog friendly now if they had ongoing problems pertaining to this.

I would see a few fox always sneak into town between the hours of 300am to 430am wondering around as they know the least activity time for humans and dogs....

My dog used to think she owned Dawson every time she visited there as I had to keep her restrained during daytime hours the majority of the time because of all the loose dogs she wanted to bully as I tell her they live here - you don't.
1975 Ford F250 2WD Ranger XLT (Owned June 2013)
460 V8- C6 Trans- 3.73:1 (196K Total Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000 (Front)
Hellwig 3500 lb Helper Springs (rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series (siped)

AKsilvereagle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pretty much you are down to three locations for an RV to stay at in the immediate Dawson City vicinity as they are all mentioned, and you cannot go wrong with any of the three locations (Gold Rush and Bonanza for hookups)....

As noted, the one place which you cannot beat it's location bar none is Gold Rush RV Park along Fourth and Fifth Avenues at York Street along Downtown, a short walking distance from everywhere....

Portion of Gold Rush RV Park is shown here at the NW corner of Fifth Ave. and York St - as I have had the cherished privilege since 2008 to stay at this spacious vacant adjacent SW corner lot all to myself that my friend owns when I visit Dawson City :

(My camper rig shown on the left)

I know this does not pertain to many here, however for those who have to rely on public showers like I do (as I do not use my bathroom other than storage space to haul my tools and vehicle parts with me rather than hauling extra water weight, cleaning the bath, etc. in exchange as I am already maxed out in GWVR)...

The public bathroom and washroom itself at Gold Rush is decent as is the laundry facility however the public showers themselves are the only knock at Gold Rush RV park which has not changed one bit in years past....They are real chinsy when it comes to providing hot water there.

Drop a lot of coin like 5 to 7 Loonies in the timer box and you might get one to two minutes of barely lukewarm water if you are real lucky, and there is never enough water pressure to even water flowers with at that - and also at least I can speak for only the mens bathroom that it is NEVER ever heated as they usually leave the door open 24-7 during the season as it can be quite chilly after showering while there is usually a constant cool or cold breeze - this is when I realized in 2008 I was not man enough to take cold showers anymore as in years past when I needed a shower in Dawson as this is what I was never looking forward to.

After mentioning this to my friend, he told me "Oh no - go to Bonanza - they got real hot showers there and waaay cheaper too - that's where I go as my house has no running water"

As mentioned, Bonanza Gold (only 3 kms from downtown) is a larger accommodation that has more space for RV's and more room to get around in....does not seem like as much of a crammed parking lot compared to Gold Rush RV Park....Great laundry facilities there as well.

The public bathrooms at Bonanza Gold are nice and heated, enclosed, and the showers there have more privacy and more room along with immediate HOT water as I never spend more than 3 Loonies for a long refreshing shower with high water pressure ($1 for 4 minutes)...Staff at Bonanza Gold are real down to earth too.

The mens bathroom at Bonanza Gold if anyone cares still provide complementary condoms too.

Bonanza Gold and Glenda's Triple G in Fort Nelson have the hottest and cheapest public shower facilities in all the places I been in Western Canada or anywhere else in the far north bar none !

The fourth option that I am aware of roughly 20 kms south of town is Klondike River Territorial Park near the airport in the Rock Creek Subdivision in case the town gets full of RVers, as my friend lives in that area and his backyard is along the bank of the Klondike River.
1975 Ford F250 2WD Ranger XLT (Owned June 2013)
460 V8- C6 Trans- 3.73:1 (196K Total Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000 (Front)
Hellwig 3500 lb Helper Springs (rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series (siped)

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
We also stayed at Goldrush CG. Right in town, so easy to get around. Right near
Diamond Tooth Gerties. Sadly we did not stay there long enuff.
Do not remember much about the place, cost etc.
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
We alternate between the Gold Rush and the Yukon River government campground, depending on what our plans are. If we're there to walk around town and do things, the Gold Rush makes that simple. If we want to relax around the RV, we go across the river.
Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon
http://ExploreNorth.com/
and blogging at http://ExploreNorthBlog.com/
I live to travel, and travel to really live

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
Stayed at Gold Rush as well in 2018, Drew E described it well, owner are nice, if you have a bath in your rig use it showers there cost coin. If you don't need a hook ups go up Dome Road to the top it's a good spot for the night and viewing the valley below.If you have a dog (s) Dawson City isn't that friendly for dogs anymore. Good wifi at the visitor center.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I stayed at Goldrush when there, and indeed got lucky to get one of the last available sites; had I been not too many minutes later to the office, it would have been elsewhere. Very convenient downtown location. It has quite small sites, packed in densely. (though that's understandable for the circumstances and location). It seemed generally well-kept and perfectly decent to me; and to be entirely honest, I did not go to Dawson City to enjoy lots of time relaxing in the RV park, but rather was there to do not much beyond shower, sleep, and eat breakfast.

The territorial park just across the river by the ferry landing seemed a reasonable option if you don't need hookups (and if they have space available). In general I thought the Yukon Territorial campgrounds to be great deals, very affordable and nicely maintained, though of course primitive in terms of ammenities.

rag-ftw
Explorer
Explorer
Have stayed at Bonanza Gold a couple of times. Would stay there again.

Goldrush also get good recommends.
2004 Travel Supreme 38DS04
2009 Ranger 4X4 Towed
Ready Brake, Tire Minder