cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford V-10 plug problems

kvh4636
Explorer
Explorer
If a spark plug on a older v-10 blows out of the head, can it be driven to a repair shop or does it have to be towed I was told if you can stand the noise it can be driven. Want 2nd opinion.
19 REPLIES 19

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
Chum lee wrote:
A little off topic but, . . . years ago there was a "compression release" craze for dirt/racing/off road bikes. The lever/cable controlled valve vented the combustion chamber gasses to induce engine braking. It worked really well, until after a weekend of desert riding, you pulled your cylinder head and saw the damage done from all the ingested dirt. That's when mine went into the circular file. (and I rebuilt the top end) The brakes seemed to work just fine after that.

Braking? I've never heard of that but I did have a compression release lever on my 1985 Honda XR350. It was there to allow easier kick starting, especially when hot. It basically just held the exhaust valve open. You kicked the motor over and once spinning, let it go to light it off. It also worked great for roll starting in lower gears. Maybe you were doing it wrong?

As for the V10, I'd drive it to the shop that way.

You've never heard of a compression release? Here ya go!

Here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_release

See the section on Motorcycles (2 stroke)

I don't think I was doing it wrong, but, thanks for the suggestion! On 2 strokes, it's for a different purpose than on 4 strokes. (braking rather than starting)

Chum lee

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
The same amount of air being sucked in is being pushed out through the spark plug hole and normally streets do noy have that much sand to cause damage to the head or piston for the relative distance to a repair facility, on the other hand desert sand is a lot more abrasive than city street dust.

navegator

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chum lee wrote:
A little off topic but, . . . years ago there was a "compression release" craze for dirt/racing/off road bikes. The lever/cable controlled valve vented the combustion chamber gasses to induce engine braking. It worked really well, until after a weekend of desert riding, you pulled your cylinder head and saw the damage done from all the ingested dirt. That's when mine went into the circular file. (and I rebuilt the top end) The brakes seemed to work just fine after that.

Braking? I've never heard of that but I did have a compression release lever on my 1985 Honda XR350. It was there to allow easier kick starting, especially when hot. It basically just held the exhaust valve open. You kicked the motor over and once spinning, let it go to light it off. It also worked great for roll starting in lower gears. Maybe you were doing it wrong?

As for the V10, I'd drive it to the shop that way.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
With a spark plug missing, you are sucking unfiltered (dirty) air from the engine compartment into the cylinder with every power stroke. Not a good option, but, if you have to get home or to a repair facility, . . . . it may be the only option.

Anyway, don't wait too long to get those stripped spark plug threads fixed.

Chum lee

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
The V-10 will never leave you stranded!

That really tells you just how bulllet-proof a V-10 is, coming from a person with โ€œdodge guyโ€ as his user name.

Yep! LOL I`m a Mopar tech and wanted the best HD SUV built. since Dodge didn't make one I had to go with the only option for me. the V-10 is as solid as there is.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
dodge guy wrote:
The V-10 will never leave you stranded!

That really tells you just how bulllet-proof a V-10 is, coming from a person with โ€œdodge guyโ€ as his user name.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Will a V10 computer put it in "safe driving" mode if it encounters a continuous misfire in one cylinder? My 5.4 V8 went into "safe driving" when it overheated from an unobserved coolant leak. Max speed of 30MPH tipped me off that I had a problem, lol.

Good luck on your transport issue and the plug replacement. Ford really blew it with their plug design of these earlier modular engines.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Definitly disconect the injector this way you will not have fuel being blown out through the plug hole and sprayed all over, take the spark plug and the ignition module and lay them on top of the engine this will allow the the piston to move up and down with out to much restrction, this gives you more of a woosh rather than a bang since there is no fuel to ignite and no engine fire, and yes you can drive to a shop at a reasonable distance at moderate slow speeds.

Ask the shop if they use Timeserts rather than heliciols, helicoils tend to pull out with time in sparkplug applications, I did all ten at the same time as it was cost efective in the long run rather than doing one at a time since the injector rail has to be taken off and the valve cover off in order to verify that the piston is at the bottom and not at TDC when the hole is being drilled for the Timesert threads to be cut, otherwise the drill may damage the piston.

navegator

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
I have a friend who drove his for some distance and ended up melting all the wiring and air intake system on top of the engine.
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
A cylinder doesn't care if it's under power or not, still gets the correct lubrication etc. But as someone else said, for heavens sake unhook the injector electrical connector. I'd hate to see what happens when someone tries to drive for any distance with raw fuel being sprayed all over.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
But who wants a V9?

The person with a V-10 and a dead cylinder and doesnโ€™t want to be stranded on the side of the road!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
Drove mine for over 500 miles when it blew a plug...โ€ฆ..little noisy but no problems. When I got home I had both heads rebuilt to solve all the problems
cpaulsen

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
But who wants a V9?

Hmmmm it's still a V-10, but......

Disconnect another and ya got a V8 / V9....

:C

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
But who wants a V9?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold