cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a good deal?

scarecrow56
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, Ive got an offer to buy a 2017 Gulf Stream Vintage Cruiser 23RSS used for $13,115 minus $2100 for my 2000 Terry 26H trade bringing it to $11,015. Then he says he's add's in $995 for dealer prep which I don't wanna pay. Another $500 for admin fees. $250 for tags even though I've got my own tags. This would be only my second RV I've ever bought so I'm not sure about the extra fees, if I'm getting ripped off or what. Plus tax and fees would pretty much eat up my trade. I don't figure to get much for the trade but I don't wanna get ripped either. Wadda ya think? Also its from Camping World. Thanks
Chillin' in the sun, Palm Bay, Fl.
31 REPLIES 31

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
scarecrow56 wrote:
Also its from Camping World. Thanks

That's the problem right there. Camping WOrld is known for adding all sorts of dealer admin fees, forcing warranties on you, etc.

They did it to this customer.

CW Knoxville TN tried the paperwork switcheroo on us too a few years back. Then we made a monkey out of his paper shuffling (we knew what it said better than he did),the sales manager tried to intimidate us physically into signing.

Honestly I don't think the salesman and sales manager had enough brains between the 2 of them to add numbers without a calculator. CW lost a customer for life that day + and I tell the story around every campsite when stories such as these come up. Dishonesty in business in this day of the internet is just Stupid.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
scarecrow56 wrote:
Also its from Camping World. Thanks

That's the problem right there. Camping WOrld is known for adding all sorts of dealer admin fees, forcing warranties on you, etc.

They did it to this customer.
Bob

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wouldn't pay those fees, just find another dealer or private party. The dealers really don't want to spend any money on the trailers until it sells, then anything wrong can be charged to warranty. Unless they are the only ones that have the specific trailer you want and you have no choice, I would find it somewhere else.

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
hot rod wrote:
Last year when I was looking for a different rig I found the $1000 clean up fee to be kind of standard at dealers. I told one salesmen I thought it only make good business sense to have the unit in great looking shape before putting it out on the lot. He didn't agree, they don't clean them ahead of time and get people for $1000. I ended up buying from a private seller. The last 2 RVs I've sold lasted less than 24 hrs on Craigslist.

They also don't typically do anything to new units. They wait till someone buys it then complete or correct the build defects under the warranty, which the manufacturer will not cover until the unit is sold. They (dealers) then try to get into the buyers pocket some more as a prep fee. And then the buyer finds out they have to drop it off and wait a couple months to have it completed. Oh goody, you get to pay for the manufacturer doing a crappy incomplete job to begin with and then for the selling dealers service department to fix or complete stuff, just hope you get a competent tech which is a victory in itself.

The entire RV Industry from the holding companies, to the manufacturers, to the dealers and service places is a sham.

hot_rod
Explorer
Explorer
Last year when I was looking for a different rig I found the $1000 clean up fee to be kind of standard at dealers. I told one salesmen I thought it only make good business sense to have the unit in great looking shape before putting it out on the lot. He didn't agree, they don't clean them ahead of time and get people for $1000. I ended up buying from a private seller. The last 2 RVs I've sold lasted less than 24 hrs on Craigslist.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
NADA doesn't list that mfg on their online pricing.

Price sounds high, your trade in seems low, dealer prep is BS

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I have never paid any extra fees other than license, tax and title. Maybe the other fees were rolled into the price, but I got the best deal anywhere and I did a lot of searching!

So....no. You shouldn’t pay anything extra and it shouldn’t show in an inflated value on an RV!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Someone already said it, but have you considered selling your current unit yourself instead of trading it in? Clean it up, take lots of pictures and post it on Craigslist. Agree that the dealer prep fee is bogus, and so is the doc fee. Find out what they are going to do to "prep" it. Make sure you take a look at the roof.

By all means, be willing and ready to walk - tell them to call you when they can do better.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
I always ask for an out the door price on any large purchase. I could care less what is included or not included. I also have a good idea of what I want to pay before doing a deal.
When we bought our Dart, they gave me an out the door price. I said that’s too much, I’ll pay this, which with my trade, I thought was fair to all. They agreed and everybody was happy. We still are.
As for Camping World, I think it’s hit or miss, just like with a lot of dealers. I happen to like our local one. Didn’t buy our camper there, but have had them do a couple things I didn’t want to deal with.
If you want that camper, go back and start over. If you haven’t already done so, spend an hour or so on the net, seeing what it goes for around the country, put an offer together and give it to them. The worst that happens is they say no.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Run.
Sell your old rig privately.
I just sold an old 2002 Tahoe Lite hybrid.
There is demand for older starter trailers. I got $6,000 for it and it sold in 2 days.
They are making up fees so you are giving your old trailer away.
Around here you have to pay sales tax buying from a dealer, but do not if buying privately on used equipment.

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I am from FL, but traded during a trip, in OR. I had to pay a 1,150.00 dealer fee plus 250.00 standard fee that OR DMV charges. I did my own tag work, paying transfer plate, title fees and stuff plus FL sales tax on the difference. I have never paid that much for a dealer fee and don't know if many dealers who take that fee off. I wanted that trailer, so I paid it. It is the out-the-door price which counts. Your choice.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
From Camping World?? Never .........................
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
What difference does it make how they list or name the fees. You only pay one price and that is the total. If the total is acceptable to you, buy it and go camping.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
VELCRO!! LOUD RIPPING SOUND !!!! Says it all.