cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hope to Cache Creek

Rocky2
Explorer
Explorer
On my prior trips to Alaska, I have stayed on the 1 from Hope to Cache Creek. I am thinking of taking the 5 to Kamloops and then the 97. For those who have used both routes, which do you prefer and why. I have a 31 ft Class A pulling a Honda CRV.
10 REPLIES 10

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
I must be the odd man out, I hate taking the 1 from hope to CC, single lane, slow boaring, i think the 5 has more sceanery as you go throught the mountians instead of following the river valley. yest there is one log hard pull on the coq but just take your time and enjoy the views. another option is to take the 3 to princeton then the 5a up to kamloops, or go a bit farther and take the 3 to osoyoos and then the 97 up throught the okanagan and do a few wine tastings on the way up.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
Rocky2 wrote:
So how is the road (12) from Lytton through to Hat Creek Ranch?

If it's the one I'm thinking of, I wouldn't tow my trailer that way. #1 will be way better. But it's been years since I went that way.
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

Rocky2
Explorer
Explorer
So how is the road (12) from Lytton through to Hat Creek Ranch?

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
Sinterior wrote:
gmckenzie wrote:
As long as there are no rock slides or other issues on the #1, I'd take it. But that road can have issues.

The Coq is where the early seasons of Highway through Hell were all
about (but that's winter)

I used to live in Merritt and I've driven the Coke (all 3 sections) dozens of times, summer and winter, that show is so over dramatized it's not funny.

They cherry pick the bad days, no question.
2010 Cougar 30RKS

Sinterior
Explorer
Explorer
gmckenzie wrote:
As long as there are no rock slides or other issues on the #1, I'd take it. But that road can have issues.

The Coq is where the early seasons of Highway through Hell were all
about (but that's winter)

I used to live in Merritt and I've driven the Coke (all 3 sections) dozens of times, summer and winter, that show is so over dramatized it's not funny.
Pete, Terry (Teresa) & Cira, 12lb furbag ๐Ÿ™‚

2007 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40SKQ
2017 Chev Equinox V6 AWD
Blue Ox Avail
Patriot II Braking system
Garmin dezl 560LMT

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer

The Coq is where the early seasons of Highway through Hell were all about (but that's winter)
2010 Cougar 30RKS

Sinterior
Explorer
Explorer
Hwy 5 Hope to Kamloops (Coquihalla, locally known as the Coke) is all freeway with 2 long hard pulls and boring scenary.

I recommend Hwy 1 as well.
Pete, Terry (Teresa) & Cira, 12lb furbag ๐Ÿ™‚

2007 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40SKQ
2017 Chev Equinox V6 AWD
Blue Ox Avail
Patriot II Braking system
Garmin dezl 560LMT

Rocky2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. I'll stick with the 1 again.

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
Stay on 1 as the hwy 5 is a hard pull over the Coke to Kamloops and you still have a few hills to pull to get to Cache Creek, I live here and only use hwy 1 to and from Vancouver plus a more scenic drive. If you use hwy 5 you might as well stay on 5 and go to Valemont and go to Prince George on your way to Alaska or go through Dawson Creek- Fort st john to Ft nelson another scenic route, Just my thoughts as I am heading back to Whitehorse next month.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer 1 from Hope to Cache Creek - it's far more interesting. Have driven both many, many times.
Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon
http://ExploreNorth.com/
and blogging at http://ExploreNorthBlog.com/
I live to travel, and travel to really live