cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I-40 closed at Webbers Falls OK

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
With all the rain water being released from the dams into the Arkansas River in NE Oklahoma, 2 heavy barges have broken loose and were floating down the river toward the I-40 bridge. The highway patrol has closed that bridge, as well as the nearby local in-town bridge, due to the danger that the barges could strike and collapse a bridge section. I have no word on where or how lengthy the detour might be at this time. Travelers might want to select an alternate route.

Some folks may recall that a misguided barge took out part of the I-40 bridge several years ago, causing some vehicles to plunge off the bridge and fall 80 feet. The barges have been located this morning, stuck on some outcropping, but there's no guarantee they will stay stuck in the swollen raging river. So I'm glad they are being proactive.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point
2 REPLIES 2

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
Update
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
What’s the liability of the barge company?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad