'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"
16 REPLIES 16

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
More news worthy:

The 6.2 is now available in the RST and Custom Trail Boss
10 speed transmission is now behind every 5.3 and 6.2 engine
3.0 Diesel now won't be available until the 2020 model due to the EPA taking longer than expected to certify the emissions. Probably do to some of the recent diesel emissions scandals.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

intheburbs
Explorer
Explorer
I just don't see it. 13k lbs? What kind of payload does the thing have? Is it still a semifloater rear axle?
2008 Suburban 2500 3LT 3.73 4X4 "The Beast"
2013 Springdale 303BHS, 8620 lbs
2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali (backup TV, hot rod)
2016 Jeep JKU Sahara in Tank, 3.23 (hers)
2010 Jeep JKU Sahara in Mango Tango PC, 3.73 (his)

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
librty02 wrote:
Groover wrote:
bikendan wrote:
doesn't matter if it tows 13,400lbs, if it doesn't have the payload capacities of the F150 with the HDPP payloads.
the Chevy will run out of payload WAY before getting close to that number.
and i'm a former Chevy owner.

I am a Ford owner but I am going to play devil's advocate here. The max payload package is way too hard to find or get, reduces the max tow rating for the crew cab 4wd from 13,200lbs to 11,500 and cannot be purchased with many of the options that make cross country towing more pleasant. If Ford will fix those issues I would put a fully loaded one high on my list of things to buy.

As others have pointed out you really need the max payload package to handle the tongue weight of a 13,000lb trailer.

One thing I recently found out is that my F150 has a crumple zone in the rear of the frame to help reduce accident injuries. The 3/4 ton trucks don't have that. I assume that all half ton trucks are required to have it. That weakens the hitch attachment and could limit half ton towing capacity.

Groover I'm not sure when Ford started doing this but you can get a HDPP 150 in the Lariat trim now. I know this has been available for a few years now just not sure exactly what year it started. And as for not being able to get it just order it and wait the 6 to 8 weeks. I have done this with most of my vehicles I own. I spend the big cash on exaclty what I want I won't settle for what is on the lot when you're talking all that $$$

Yes, you can get Lariet trim but I just confirmed that you can't get the 501 package, much less the 502. The 502 package includes a whole bunch of goodies.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
librty02 wrote:
Most of us here forget being an RV forum that these half tons CAN most def tow 13k without issue without being over any spec at all.

These half tons are also used to tow flat trailers with equipment on them. 13k @ 10% tongue weight is only 1300lbs on the tongue. If that half tons payload capacity is 1800lbs just say there is still 500lbs available to put in the truck for passengers etc. 2 250lb men towing a 13k flatbed with equipment on it would be within EVERY spec of that truck...

Noooooo! Say it ainโ€™t so!
If thatโ€™s true, what will the try yards have to complain about?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

librty02
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
bikendan wrote:
doesn't matter if it tows 13,400lbs, if it doesn't have the payload capacities of the F150 with the HDPP payloads.

I am a Ford owner but I am going to play devil's advocate here. The max payload package is way too hard to find or get, reduces the max tow rating for the crew cab 4wd from 13,200lbs to 11,500 and cannot be purchased with many of the options that make cross country towing more pleasant. If Ford will fix those issues I would put a fully loaded one high on my list of things to buy.

As others have pointed out you really need the max payload package to handle the tongue weight of a 13,000lb trailer.

One thing I recently found out is that my F150 has a crumple zone in the rear of the frame to help reduce accident injuries. The 3/4 ton trucks don't have that. I assume that all half ton trucks are required to have it. That weakens the hitch attachment and could limit half ton towing capacity.

Groover I'm not sure when Ford started doing this but you can get a HDPP 150 in the Lariat trim now. I know this has been available for a few years now just not sure exactly what year it started. And as for not being able to get it just order it and wait the 6 to 8 weeks. I have done this with most of my vehicles I own. I spend the big cash on exaclty what I want I won't settle for what is on the lot when you're talking all that $$$
2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
bikendan wrote:

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
manley wrote:
Impressive numbers, for sure. Still class leading in ugly, IMHO.

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Still waiting on Ford to make a significant improvement on their trucks. I can't tell the difference in body styles from the last 8-10 years.

I have an appointment with an Ophthalmologist today. Maybe things will change/:)
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
librty02 wrote:
Most of us here forget being an RV forum that these half tons CAN most def tow 13k without issue without being over any spec at all.

These half tons are also used to tow flat trailers with equipment on them. 13k @ 10% tongue weight is only 1300lbs on the tongue. If that half tons payload capacity is 1800lbs just say there is still 500lbs available to put in the truck for passengers etc. 2 250lb men towing a 13k flatbed with equipment on it would be within EVERY spec of that truck...

X2...The truck manufacturer is not stating an RV type trailer, and often times has wording in the owners manual about frontal square ft limits, that no one pays attention to.

Jerry

manley
Explorer
Explorer
Impressive numbers, for sure. Still class leading in ugly, IMHO.
2021 F250 XLT FX4 SCREW Godzilla 7.3L
Hensley Arrow
2017 Open Range Light 272RLS

librty02
Explorer
Explorer

2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Don't doubt it.
Been driving a '19 for the last week and it is a noticeable step up from the 2016 I have and it just feels heavier and stouter. Dunno what gears it has, but it feels like a 5.3 and is 8 speed, not the 10. Haven't popped the hood.
13k is a lot of weight and not for the faint of heart behind a half ton, but it will pull I believe.
Actually a very nice truck.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
The fact that the towing number is captured in a double cab 4x4 is what impresses me. Fords rating is only 200 pounds behind but in a 4X2. That is a significant amount given that information. I would like to tow 13K with one and see what it feels like. It appears to me that the guy or gal that was in charge of regulating tow rating at GM either got fired or died, because the tow ratings on the upcoming HD are class leading. The tow ratings on the 1500 at least for now are class leading. Seems to be a pretty significant turnaround for GM which up until recently didn't seem to give 2 sh!ts about tow ratings.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Typical useless manufacturer rating made to sound good for more sales. You will far exceed many other ratings on those trucks before getting anywhere near the tow rating. This is what gets many people over their heads and puts people in unnecessarily dangerous towing situations.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley