cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diamond Shield damage by Love Bugs

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from our trip from South Carolina to Key West. We ran through several swarms of love bugs on the interstate. So bad that we had to stop and clean twice. Once I got in Key West, I washed the front of the coach and noticed that there is now hundreds of pits in the diamond shield. After reading on the internet, it appears that love bug guts are acidic. Although I removed their remains as quick as possible, they pitted my diamond shield bad enough that is either has to be removed or replaced. I am talking with Diamond Shield and my insurance company now. I am considering not putting the shield back on. The area above the windshield was not coated and the bug guts washed and waxed off ok. Any suggestions??
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag
2005 Silverado 2500 w/ piggy back golf cart
11 REPLIES 11

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
I will certainly get some of those pads! Thanks! I am still talking with Diamond Shield for replacement.
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
About twice a year, Love Bug season hits Florida. I'm a resident here, and we've collectively learned a few things, mostly the hard way.

Love bug guts will eat through clear coat, paint, primer, and even plastic bumper skins.

NEVER USE PAM. A friend sprayer her new BMW with this, an called me when she needed help. The plastic bumper skin became sticky. It softened the top layer of plastic, ruining it. Expensive lesson for her.

Waxing your vehicle will help, nothing more. The guts must be scrubbed off that day, or you risk permanent damage.

The absolute best product I've found is a Dobie cleaning pad. It will not scratch the clear coat, or glass windshield. I've used these for 30 years! They are commonly used to clean Teflon coated cookware, which can be easily scratched. The description is These all-purpose cleaning pads can be used in the kitchen, bathroom or on automobiles.

These can be found in grocery stores, or on Amazon: https://amzn.to/2QmkNNZ

I keep one in each vehicle. The tough nylon mesh glides over smooth surfaces, and shaves off anything sticking up proud of the surface. The wimpy automotive sponges with mesh, sold at places like Wallworld, are NOT the same thing!

Gawd I hate Love Bugs...
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
I went to Fla Sun and Fun campground told me to get them right off after setup, They relies what will happen to you coach if let on to long they told mr I never asked as we checked in.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
I got the bugs off the same day as they were hit.....??
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag

Bruce_Brown
Same as the others with no damage. Our current MH came home in 2007, still looks new.

When it was delivered it came with a can of Plexus to use on the Diamond Shield. I use it when I remember, never had an issue.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
If bad bugs, I wash front..never have been told to quit.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
BobGed wrote:
Edd505 wrote:

Where do you find parks that allow washing an RV? Most every park I have been in has No Washing in the entry handout.

I wash the front of my coach after every day's drive using a bucket of water. I have never asked for permission, and have never been told to stop.

X2
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
Edd505 wrote:

Where do you find parks that allow washing an RV? Most every park I have been in has No Washing in the entry handout.

I wash the front of my coach after every day's drive using a bucket of water. I have never asked for permission, and have never been told to stop.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
chuckftboy wrote:
I'm on my 3rd coach with Diamond Shield or its equivalent and never had any pitting from love bugs. I do wash the love bugs off as soon as I arrive at destination because I know how acidic they are. Sorry to hear you had damage. How many days were they on there?

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm on my 3rd coach with Diamond Shield or its equivalent and never had any pitting from love bugs. I do wash the love bugs off as soon as I arrive at destination because I know how acidic they are. Sorry to hear you had damage. How many days were they on there?
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Wax heavy and leave on don't remove haze. Or. Spray with Pam right before trip. Either case remove as soon as trip is completed.