cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hybrid electric/propane tank-less water heater

MarknJ9
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking for recommendations for a hybrid electric/propane tank-less water heater for our 99 Damon Challenger 310. We are looking for one that will run off of electricity when the bus is parked and set up and propane when dry camping or traveling. We currently have a 6 gallon electric/LP heater that really limits us when it comes to showers and washing dishes (works fine for one shower but we have to wait a while before washing dishes afterwards and even then not enough hot water to rinse). Does anyone have any experience that they can share which might point us in the right direction as far as brands, models and cost? Thanks in advance for your input!
13 REPLIES 13

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think that the best solution would be to put an on demand propane heater in place of his tank type then find a space for a small 120v electric only heater in the line before it. That way the electric water heater will provide all of the hot water that it can with the on demand heater making up the shortfall. You get the best of both worlds.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Vegas Food Guy The reason I used 2 Gallons per minute is that is the flow rate for an Oxygenics Shower head or at least MNY oxygenics shower head.

I don't shower 24x7 Only for a few minutes at a time but if I were using an electric DEMAND heater during that time I'd need nearly 100,000 watts of power. Well beyond a 30 amp and in fact beyond mu 5,500 watt on board generator's abilit..
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

vegasfoodguy
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
To heat 2 gallons of water from 68 degrees to 100 degrees in one minute you need
9390 watts (equal to 9.39Kw / 32040btuh )
The source
A 30 amp rig has only 3600 watts and a 50 amp only 12000 I burn about 300 on parasitic loads. See the problem? (and up to 1000 if the batteries are hungry)

Clearly I'm not doing it with 120/240 vac.

If dry camping, this is a non starter, you will go through all your water in no time.
Monaco Diplomat, Cummins, 38a
Toad Grand Cherokee and Jeep Wrangler, Brake Buddy.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
To heat 2 gallons of water from 68 degrees to 100 degrees in one minute you need
9390 watts (equal to 9.39Kw / 32040btuh )
The source
A 30 amp rig has only 3600 watts and a 50 amp only 12000 I burn about 300 on parasitic loads. See the problem? (and up to 1000 if the batteries are hungry)

Clearly I'm not doing it with 120/240 vac.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Octaneforce
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Octaneforce wrote:
I have the girard tankless hot water heater in my coach. Its hands down the best thing i ever did. I take boiling hot showers as long as i want. It doesnt seem to eat up much propane. And its only using propane while theres a call for hot water. It doesnt fire on and off all day like a regular tank heater. Their customer service is also outstanding.

If it is so great, WHY would you even know their Customer Service is outstanding??????????? A GOOD product will mean you will never have contac with Customer Service. Doug

PS. A Blind Hog will find an acorn. There are thousands of Girards out there and most work as designed. But, in my experience, the hundred or so I have seen over the years have operational problems. MORE so, Than standard 120/LP water Heaters.

I had to speak to them twice. First when i didnt realize theres a flow control so the water doesnt come out like a jet stream. They walked me thru how to adjust it, which is a peice of cake. Another time i had a freakishly cold night and i didnt add antifreeze to my water tank, and a fitting inside the water heater froze and busted. It was my own fault. But they mailed me a replacement part within days of contacting them, which i thought was awesome.

So yea these flash heaters do come with their quirks that an old school rvโ€™er just isnt going to deal with. But for someone like myself who is stubborn in the opposite ways, i do my research and work out the kinks so now i have unlimited hot water which everyone (especially the wife) is thrilled with. I see it as one less thing anyone can complain about (as long as it keeps working).
1993 fleetwood coronado 30โ€™ class a chuggin along with a tbi 454
An On demand hot water heater was the best thing i ever did

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Octaneforce wrote:
I have the girard tankless hot water heater in my coach. Its hands down the best thing i ever did. I take boiling hot showers as long as i want. It doesnt seem to eat up much propane. And its only using propane while theres a call for hot water. It doesnt fire on and off all day like a regular tank heater. Their customer service is also outstanding.

If it is so great, WHY would you even know their Customer Service is outstanding??????????? A GOOD product will mean you will never have contac with Customer Service. Doug

PS. A Blind Hog will find an acorn. There are thousands of Girards out there and most work as designed. But, in my experience, the hundred or so I have seen over the years have operational problems. MORE so, Than standard 120/LP water Heaters.

Octaneforce
Explorer
Explorer
1993 fleetwood coronado 30โ€™ class a chuggin along with a tbi 454
An On demand hot water heater was the best thing i ever did

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. I am not aware of any 120/LP on demand water heaters for RV's.
2. On Demand usually requires 2- 120 Heating elements to supply enough heat for On demand. Only the Largest Aqua Hot type systems have dual elements. The smaller Aqua Hot types both LP/120 and Diesel/120, cannot supply on demand Hot Water(120 volt) for regular use.
3. After all the problems and complaints I have had from my customers in the past years, I would NEVER have a RV On demand Water heater. WE have replaced and also have replaced under OEM goodwill about 25 units over the past years from On Demand to regular RV Water Heaters due to customers hating the On demand. From bad operations to lack of continuous HOT water they wanted. Doug

Bruce_Brown
^^^ Agreed.

A few years ago I looked at doing an on demand electric at our house. Just the cost of the additional wire I needed to run made it a non-starter.

On demand propane is a different deal. That's cheap and easy. Last year I bought a 3.2 GPM on demand propane for our deer camp, EBay, $64.00 delivered. Works great!
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
There is no way to do an electric "on demand" heater. A 50 amp RV only has 12,000 watts available. Propane does work.

I have a ten gallon electric/propane and it meets my needs.

On pure electric it takes 90 minutes to first cycle. Then it recycles once every 4 hours for 15 minutes. It draws 1400 watts.

I much prefer to run on electric--and save my propane.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://campersmarts.com/best-rv-tankless-water-heater.

We have 10 gallon Electric/gas and seems to have enough hot water. As stated turn on both electric/gas and it stays hot.

This one I help a neighbor install and they love it.

http://www.aquahot.com/Products/RV/400P.aspx

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Heating water for "on demand" use requires an incredible amount of energy which must be available . . . . instantly. Look at the size of the gas burners that come with residential instant hot water heaters. It's not impossible with electricity, but not very conducive to RV use.

I could easily see that requiring a 100 amp 120/240 volt service which would be unlikely in all but the most exclusive RV parks.

Chum lee

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
When hooked up to AC power source
Turn the electric AND propane on at same time

That is fastest recovery rate.....roughly 16.2 gal/hr (based on 70*F water temp)

Propane alone....roughly 10 gal/hr recovery rate

As for Hybrid Tankless
I have no recommendation......here is a Review of 5 models
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31