cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camping or Glamping?

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
If you use your own equipment, and not “renting”, but reside in a nice, self-contained unit.....is it camping or glamping?

After listening to my wife read about “glamping”.....I discovered that we may have been “glamping” since the ‘60’s! 🙂 What say you?

If your tent is made of modern synthetics rather than animal skins.....are you “glamping”?

Where does it all end? Someone help me, I am confused! :B
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl
73 REPLIES 73

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Neither. We ordered the diesel pusher, we lived in it for a few years, and we kept the pieces of real estate. We don't care what others call it. We still have the motorhome and the boat, and new dogs. Healthcare is becoming an issue.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
In the 60's we camped in a tent then a fold down tent trailer. Now we RV, there is a difference! 😉
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
I hate the word "glamping". It's like someone who has never gone RV-ing coined it.

Aw come on...a great big Prevost and a gas-fueled fire pit, and screened porch, exterior flat screen TV and sound system, in a concrete RV Park and ALL the cheesy lights and a golf cart and floral shirts and shorts and flip flops...

Glamping.

vs.

A teardrop camper way out west with no hookups, no generator, no television, not running the heat...

Not Glamping.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
True story: Crossed the Can/US border a few years back with our TT. Got sent to secondary for a "random" inspection. Mean looking CBP guy inside asks where I'm going and I say "we're going camping over the weekend in Birch Bay." I then pointed to our TT out in the lot. He looks at me as if he was going to arrest me and send me to Guantanamo Bay and says "NO, you're not camping. Camping is when you pitch a tent on the ground." I quickly amend my reply and say "We're going to an RV resort in Birch Bay." Then he moved on to the next question.

When I was a kid growing up in the 50s & 60s, my parents had a waterfront cabin with no water, no power, no TV, no nothing & just an outhouse and a woodstove. Spent every summer there. That was roughing it!!

Nowadays, we have a mobile cabin complete with bathroom, kitchen & bedroom. Can't go camping without our sat TV & laptop though...

I hate the word "glamping". It's like someone who has never gone RV-ing coined it.

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
How about we call it RV-ing.. That way we are not putting down or up anyone???

No.

Because that's not descriptive at all...AND Camping vs Glamping is not a put down!

The thing I love about RVing is the HUGE VARIETY it offers.

Sometimes we ARE in to glamping...Fancy RV park with full hook ups and activity center and pink flamingo lights.

Other times, we are in a national forest conserving batteries and water (and yes, we don't run exterior lights except for when there's a good need).

Unfortunately there are people here who like one and can't help but look down on the other.

Other adjectives: Boondocking, dry camping, RV-park vs National park, Urban RV park, Wal-Mart-Overnighting, Beach camping, Cold camping, Snowbirding...these all describe important sub groups of RVing. Glamping is just a cute term when you go the extra yard (or mile) for fanciness and comfort.

RVing is ok as a catch-all, but it describes very little. All of the other words and adjectives tell others what you are talking about.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I don't use the word, but do remember a time when I wondered why folks would own rigs like the one we now have. I divide our trips into one of two categories, camping or travelling. In our younger days, all we had time for was camping. Local weekend trips, etc. Tents and small trailers were great at that job. However, life changed and we found ourselves often to have time to be on the road for months. At this point, we HAD to be more comfortable and thus we ended up with our coach.

Glamping? Not to me, because it isn't intended to be a form of camping. It's intended to be a private hotel. We do still use the coach for "camping". We spend local weekends in the woods and don't spend much time in it other than sleeping.

So, I see it divided by use more than equipment type.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
bigred1cav wrote:
We do not camp we travel. We do so in our motorhome and use it as our hotel room. We don't like NASCAR or fires creating obnoxious smoke. We dine out a lot. We like state and federal parks. Have no use for swimming pools or playgrounds. Abhor others forcing their choice of music (noise) upon us. Really don't care what your religion is and do not want to meet Jesus.

We enjoy conversations and pot lucks but do not adhere to right-wing politics and absolutely don not care if a woman has an abortion that is none of my business.

Our dogs are well kept and we pick up after them. If others were as cognizant of their children's messes it would be wonderful.

So in our case, and compared to anyone who agrees with the above, you can figure on us disagreeing and being the opposite with almost everything said here with a few exceptions. No interest in a place that does not allow a good camp fire (best part of the evening), love grilling and cooking at the camper, we definitely clean up and control our dogs and kids, but if the kids are a bit noisy because they are having fun and running around I most certainly don't feel sorry about it and encourage as much of a mess as they can make to keep them out of the camper and off their phones and TV!. Love to play music at reasonable volumes (Key word reasonable and totally agree with crazy mud music being annoying) and love even more when a few others want to make music with instruments. Not trying to be negative about the above post, its just a great example of the fact that there is no correct answer. To each their own, but for us if we want to sit, be quiet, and keep clean we stay home. To each their own! Oh.. and wholeheartedly agree with the religion comment. Again, to each their own but keep it to yourself and dont come preach. Definitely a CAMPING bummer 😉

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer
bigred1cav wrote:
We do not camp we travel. We do so in our motorhome and use it as our hotel room. We don't like NASCAR or fires creating obnoxious smoke. We dine out a lot. We like state and federal parks. Have no use for swimming pools or playgrounds. Abhor others forcing their choice of music (noise) upon us. Really don't care what your religion is and do not want to meet Jesus.

We enjoy conversations and pot lucks but do not adhere to right-wing politics and absolutely don not care if a woman has an abortion that is none of my business.

Our dogs are well kept and we pick up after them. If others were as cognizant of their children's messes it would be wonderful.

🙂 Nicely said.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

jims1
Explorer
Explorer
Glamping/Camping/RVing/Camping Purist/Whatever....
I've slept in Boy Scout open floor tents, I've slept under Army poncho half tents, I've slept in mud holes and sand pits. I've walked 800-1000 miles of the Appalachian trail with a nylon tarp, blue Navy wool blanket, and hammock. We have had family size tents, to a pop-up, 24' Shasta, 32'Carrilite, 38' Carrilite and now our Mobile Suites.
So call it what you want, don't criticize others ways of being outside and enjoying their definition of nature.
Volvo dually Pickup
DRV Memphis
Me, Alie, and Salie
Fulltiming

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
How about we call it RV-ing.. That way we are not putting down or up anyone???
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just returned from Mule Days camping in the cow pasture.
People that tried bringing wagons across with horses had plenty of trouble and many changed over to different critters.
Mules were the fastest option. Those that could afford brought two teams and rested one each day.
Oxen were slower but very dependable. People had great affection for their oxen. Many were shod in the old days.
I was helping a friend find a team of mules this week.
One fo the great books recently is a new trip on "The Oregon Trail" by R Buck.

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks K3WE ~~ Some words just curdle my innards ~ Takes more than a few words of 'common' sense to level me back out again.

TakeCare ~ TravelSafe ~ HaveFun

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
All this debate over a cute adjective.

Glamping is when you go all out to be liberal with creature comforts.

Camping involves a little bit of roughing it and a nature experience.

Yes, it’s a relative term and one size does not fit all.

Pup tent vs. pop up for some. Pop up vs. Prevost for others. Dry camping at a Government park vs Urban RV park with a pool, and cheesy canopy lights. 20 gal freshwater tank and military showers or big hot water heater and spacious shower.