cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Idaho - Hwy 55 Road Construction

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for information on Hwy 55 beyond what the Idaho 511 road condition website can tell me. The local news says a section by Smith's Ferry is under repair due to landslides and is down to one lane. With the Memorial Day weekend coming up, this is going to hamper holiday traffic. Delays are reportedly at 15 minutes, but I'm thinking it could be much worse warranting going around through New Meadows, then down into the Cascade Lake area. Any thoughts out there from those that have traveled this route recently with the construction? Thanks.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton
8 REPLIES 8

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Update - we just came back from our trip up to Cascade. By the time arrived in the construction area, around 5, they had quit for the weekend. The traffic was minimal and we opted to come back to the valley on Sundy to avoid the Memorial Day traffic. Traffic back was very minimal as well.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
IdaD wrote:
55 on any summer weekend is awful, and on a holiday weekend I wouldn't bother. Take 95 if you're going to McCall, or if you're headed up to Garden Valley or Stanley take 21 through Idaho City. I'm not sure about the status of construction or landslides.

We plan our travel early or late and have not had any problems. Going around through New Meadows will add 1.5 to 2 hours to this trip. Since the weather is drying up for at least a coue of days, that should help as far as keeping the hillsides intact. Our destination is Sugarloaf CG.

Yeah if you're going to Cascade you just don't have any choice. I hate how busy it gets in the summer along the 55 corridor. I try to go in other directions on busier weekends to avoid crowds. Luckily there are tons of options that still see pretty limited use not too far away.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
paulj wrote:
https://itdprojects.org/projects/id55smithsferryrepave/

says the work is milling/repaving a 6 mile stretch of poor pavement. That would account for use of pilot cars during working hours. But they are quite emphatic about the construction not affecting weekend and holiday traffic.

Thanks PaulJ. I talked to a couple of co-workers that drive that route regularly to go to their cabins or RVs and they said it's fine. There's a delay, but it's not bad.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://itdprojects.org/projects/id55smithsferryrepave/

says the work is milling/repaving a 6 mile stretch of poor pavement. That would account for use of pilot cars during working hours. But they are quite emphatic about the construction not affecting weekend and holiday traffic.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
55 on any summer weekend is awful, and on a holiday weekend I wouldn't bother. Take 95 if you're going to McCall, or if you're headed up to Garden Valley or Stanley take 21 through Idaho City. I'm not sure about the status of construction or landslides.

We plan our travel early or late and have not had any problems. Going around through New Meadows will add 1.5 to 2 hours to this trip. Since the weather is drying up for at least a coue of days, that should help as far as keeping the hillsides intact. Our destination is Sugarloaf CG.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
paulj wrote:
The full 511 text says the construction is Mon-Thur, and none on weekends (and I assume that includes Memorial Day).

Yes, we read that, but we were hoping for first hand experience. Thanks.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
The full 511 text says the construction is Mon-Thur, and none on weekends (and I assume that includes Memorial Day).