cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV width - narrower than standard

jjansen
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, my husband and I have been traveling around Europe for the last 3 years in our Class A Georgetown XL378. It is the standard 8.5' width with slide-outs. I would really like an RV, preferably Class A, that is narrower but still has slide-outs to give us plenty of room when camped. A narrower RV would work much better on many of the roads over here. Ideal would be just over 7'. With slide-outs our current living room is about 13' wide. I could easily give up 1.5' and still be very comfortable. Does anyone know of any models that are narrower than the norm?

Jackie Jansen
www.roadsaway.com
6 REPLIES 6

jjansen
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, a couple of comments on the points above. First off, RVs in North America are phenomenally less expensive that European RVs and shipping is quite inexpensive. If I wanted to bring the RV back to North America then converting 220 to 110 is a problem due to wiring, it isn't an issue going the other way. More important to me than any of that is that Europe has never heard of slide-outs. I have heard a rumour that a company in Germany might(?) be starting to produce some. Going down to 7 ft with 5 ft worth of additional slide-outs is very livable, 7 ft on its on is not livable for full time, that is vacation only for me. All in all I really wanted my current class A with one foot or so chopped off the width. That would be perfect. I can live with my current RV here if I have to. I was actually considering having one RV on each continent in future. I have been in Europe for most of the last 3 years and haven't had any major problems but there have been a couple of countries where the width has been a little uncomfortable (but it has been worth it!). I will look at the class B as suggested. I still want it to be very spacious as it is my home.

Jackie Jansen
www.roadsaway.com

jjansen
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, a couple of comments on the points above. First off, RVs in North America are phenomenally less expensive that European RVs and shipping is quite inexpensive. If I wanted to bring the RV back to North America then converting 220 to 110 is a problem due to wiring, it isn't an issue going the other way. More important to me than any of that is that Europe has never heard of slide-outs. I have heard a rumour that a company in Germany might(?) be starting to produce some. Going down to 7 ft with 5 ft worth of additional slide-outs is very livable, 7 ft on its on is not livable for full time, that is vacation only for me. All in all I really wanted my current class A with one foot or so chopped off the width. That would be perfect. I can live with my current RV here if I have to. I was actually considering having one RV on each continent in future. I have been in Europe for most of the last 3 years and haven't had any major problems but there have been a couple of countries where the width has been a little uncomfortable (but it has been worth it!). I will look at the class B as suggested. I still want it to be very spacious as it is my home.

Jackie Jansen
www.roadsaway.com

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thatโ€™s what I would think also. Why bring a American A to Europe ? Europe has a great many caravans that are a better use of the space than American designs I only wish we had the designs they have ! In fact Europe has no large A units because of what you say .. narrow roads and towns. Not the wide open spaces of the USA.
After all when in Rome.....
Bill

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would check out European made class As, class Cs and class Bs. They tend to be made for the more narrow European roads. Take a look at the UK's Romahome R40. Used ones aren't too expensive.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
In a 7' width, IMO, you should start looking at Class B's with slide outs. Most people move to Class A's because they are wider, longer, and, carry more.

Class B's generally cost WAY more per unit space so, be prepared for some sticker shock.

Chum lee

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
Thor Axis is 94" wide and 25'6" long.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.