cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leveling and turning on your refrigerator?

melloftus
Explorer
Explorer
So naively when we began to look at TT's I commented to my husband" this is going to be so great! No more worrying about Ice chests, water logged butter etc.." Well since acquiring our TT I have come to terms with the fact that Ice chests will always still be part of our camping experience and I am okay with that because who doesnt like pulling out a ice cold adult beverage from a cooler!" However I would like to limit my Ice chests to said adult beverages and maybe a few sodas too :@)
Here is my dilemma. We took our new to us trailer out the first time about a month ago. We had not attempted to turn the fridge on at all because I have read so many things that having your fridge on and the trailer not being level is a big no-no. The prior owner stressed this as well and mentioned that the fridge has had the thermostat replaced. Everything worked and it took about 2 hours( probably less had I read the manual 1st on how to turn it on) Ultimately what I would like to do is turn the fridge on either the night before or the morning before we leave, so I would assume 12-24 hours max to get it cold so I can place some items in it on our way up to our spots usually no more that 2 hours away. I tested the units ability to hold temp on our way home last time in a 98 degree day with it off and everything was still nice and cold.
the problem is street in front of our home is slightly sloped enough so that we cant get the trailer level without unhitching it which defeats the purpose of having it out front to we can load and go..
I have read short periods are ok.. i have read never do this.. I have read its ok to have your fridge on when driving ( We wont be doing this as I run ours on propane and I highly doubt that is legal to do in CA and sounds super dangerous)
Any advice would be appreciated
Thank you
Melanie
52 REPLIES 52

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
midnightsadie wrote:
only time you MUST TURN OFF is when fueling or you could be on the 6pm news.

Ah, and here it is. Another ill informed statement aimed at frightening people into a needless choice. This continues to be my number one pet peeve. I will ask midnightsadie to provide any link to a fire caused by leaving the fridge on. I did see one where an elderly gentleman lost control of a gas nozzle and sprayed the side of his camper van, not a trailer, where the fridge was located. Yes, it went up in flames. The next time you fuel up, take a look at where the gas hose is located and where your fridge is located. Mine is a good 20 feet or more away and on the other side. It is also located pretty high up on the side of the trailer. Gas vapors are heavy and will sink to the ground. The chances of such fumes reaching the fridge with enough concentration to erupt in flames is.....well....near impossible.

AS far as level goes, 3 percent means 3 per hundred. 3 inches in 100 inches, or if you have a 25 ft. trailer, 9 inches in 300 inches. So, if you are more than 9 inches out of level then you might have an issue with your fridge. My dealer said that if you are comfortable sleeping and walking around the trailer then you are level enough. To think that you have to be spot on with your bubble is simply wrong.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Atlee wrote:
midnightsadie wrote:

Exactly how far away from the gas pumps do you stop in order to turn off the fridge? And exactly how far away from the gas pumps do you stop in order to turn the fridge back on?

Legally, it depends on the state laws regarding smoking or open flames near gas pumps. I think it's often something in the range of 50 feet to 150 feet, but I may be wrong.

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:

Exactly how far away from the gas pumps do you stop in order to turn off the fridge? And exactly how far away from the gas pumps do you stop in order to turn the fridge back on?
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

richardcoxid
Explorer
Explorer
Concerning traveling while the absorption refer is โ€œon Propaneโ€

Would you rather have Propane or Ptomaine?
2017 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax
2019 Outdoor RV (ORV) Timber Ridge 24RKS

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
As has been pointed out, there is no real need to be a math wiz or anything of the sort. The actual numbers result in some pretty steep slopes; 10" side-to-side (of the RV) is very extreme. 10" front-to-back (of the RV), while not as extreme, is still pretty significant, and easily noticeable.

If you can walk around comfortably, sleep without falling out of bed, and stuff doesn't quickly roll off the table, you are likely close enough. Measuring and bubble levels are fine, but if you simply look around your RV, and it is level enough to spend time in comfortably, then it's level enough for the fridge.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Actually what soundguy meant to say, is if one does not understand math (degrees and % slope) and definitions (side to side vs front to back) then there is a greater risk of failure due to lack of comprehension.
While a person can go through life with relatively little mechanical understanding, the risk of errors goes up with the lack of understanding.
While some view these principles as everyday knowledge, others find it confusing. Operating and maintaining an RV isnโ€™t an โ€œeveryone plays, everyone winsโ€ game.
Hence the advice that the OP asked for could and is very valuable in these situations.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

handsome51
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
handsome51 wrote:

After reading 5 pages of posts I can't understand why everyone is making it so hard. My fridge manual saids 3 degrees front to back and 6 degrees side ways.

My manual says the reverse, check again.

Constant bad information is why it is hard for some.

you are right, with the fridge installed the 3 degrees front to back is the RV front to back and the RV 6 degrees side ways.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
handsome51 wrote:
After reading 5 pages of posts I can't understand why everyone is making it so hard.

What you and every other forum fridge "expert" are overlooking is the obvious - not a single one of you will be there to ante up for a new fridge when the OP takes your advice and later discovers his fridge has pooched. :M Also overlooked is the simplest solution and one that doesn't take 5 pages of discussion to understand - ignore this "advice" and turn your gas absorption fridge off anytime the trailer isn't sitting level. K.I.S.S. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
handsome51 wrote:

After reading 5 pages of posts I can't understand why everyone is making it so hard. My fridge manual saids 3 degrees front to back and 6 degrees side ways.

My manual says the reverse, check again.

Constant bad information is why it is hard for some.

handsome51
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
melloftus wrote:
I have read short periods are ok.. i have read never do this.. I have read its ok to have your fridge on when driving ( We wont be doing this as I run ours on propane and I highly doubt that is legal to do in CA and sounds super dangerous)

Even 15 minutes significantly off level can destroy your fridge.

Not illegal to run your fridge on propane anywhere other than where posted, such as tunnels, bridges, etc.

After reading 5 pages of posts I can't understand why everyone is making it so hard. My fridge manual saids 3 degrees front to back and 6 degrees side ways. I bought two stick on levels that are in degrees. I put a bubble level on the fridge freezer plate when I first bought my 5th wheel 13 years ago. I level the 5th wheel till the bubble was in the center. Then I stuck one level on the front of the 5th wheel and one on the side. When I stop I just look at the levels to see if I am in the 3 degree and 6 degree range. If so I leave the fridge on while we stop. When we are at the campground I level the RV as close to level as I can get it.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:

And in case you did not notice up thread I did the math. Several times. I ran it through several on line calculators as well and 3 degrees... Side to side (That is front to back or the fridge Side to side for the RV, assuming an 8' "Wingspan (Axle length) is 5 inches.

Actually, the side-to-side (front-to-back of the fridge) spec is 6 degrees, not 3; Side-to-side of the RV at 6 degrees (8' wide) is 10".;)
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
philh wrote:
Hondavalk wrote:
It's Norcolds, not mine. Then again they probably don't know what there talking about. :R

I don't ever recall seeing "1/2 bubble" on norcold's site.

How big is the level? Is it straight or curved? How long is the trailer?

3ยฐ or 6ยฐ is a measurable and articulatable measurement.

1/2 bubble is a meaningless unit of measurement.

A half a bubble is about 1" side to side on my Rig
And in case you did not notice up thread I did the math. Several times. I ran it through several on line calculators as well and 3 degrees... Side to side (That is front to back or the fridge Side to side for the RV, assuming an 8' "Wingspan (Axle length) is 5 inches.

NOW.. That said. I agree completly that "1/2 bubble" depends entierly on the level used so your half bubble and mine.. Different.

For me if the bubble is touching center.. I'm happy . And so is my fridge

I can be very unhappy, but the fridge won't mind at all .
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
Normally I resist posting on threads like this one but I have to. A frig does not have to be shut off when travelling unless you go thru a tunnel or some type of enclosure. There is generally a mandantory stop to be inspected prior to entering if that the case.

The constant movement back and forth when in motion does not affect nor hurt the frig.

You also do not have to shut off prior to filling the tow vehicle. If so then folks on cell phones, cigs hanging out their mouths would be in trouble.

We have pulled over the country when we had a propane frig and other than the tunnels never ever had a problem.

When setting up for a stay then yes you need to be fairly level but off a little bit either way is not a big deal.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Both 4x4van and myredracer did the math correctly. If the RV is comfortable for you to lie down on the bed and walk to the bathroom, it is good enough.

My only addition to their point is that the 18" forward/rearward out of level allowed is bumper to tongue. Since the trailer pivots on the axles, and the axles are about 1/2 way between the two, that translates to the tongue being within 9" high/low. (The rear bumper will have the other 9" low/high.)

A reasonable way to remember this is the tongue and the low wheel should not be more that 10" off level. Ten inches is HUGE.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB