cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jayco X19H Roof does not support weight of solar cells?

f150camper
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all!
I am planning on installing a solar system on my 2012 Jayco X19H. In the process, I asked Jayco customer service for roof / wiring plans. Here is their response:

response 1:
"Thank you for contacting Jayco. My records indicate that your trailer did not come pre-wired for any solar panels. At this time, I cannot make any recommendations or provide any prints because the trailer cannot support any solar panels. Iโ€™m sorry for the inconvenience."

After asking for more details, I got response 2:
"What I mean by that statement is the trailer is not wired for any solar panels nor can the roof support the weight of the solar panels. Please see the attached roof print."

Has anybody heard something like that before? Are they saying this to avoid liability issues, or is this real?
Wondering if anybody has installed solar panels here on a Jayco Hybrid TT.
Thanks for any responses!
Nights camped 2011: 13 (4 in the old popup) ๐Ÿ™‚
Nights camped 2012: 36
Nights camped 2013: 28
Nights camped 2014: 21

2012 F-150 XLT screw 4x4 HD max tow
2012 Jayco X19H

15 REPLIES 15

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds CYA to me. If you have 1/2" Plywood laminated to foam, the screws should hold. If you have Wood trusses in some sections, that would be the ideal mounting point obviously. You're not risking warranty and I'm confident you will be fine in either situation as far as roof structure. If you don't have trusses to screw into and will just be going into the 1/2" plywood, buy some extra mounts and put 8 on each panel to add some additional strength instead of just 4 if that makes you feel better.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
The roof support a heavy a$$ air conditioner, I assure you it will support the panels. It's a liability issue for Jayco.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
keeping the panel on the roof is not a weight issue but an attachment issue for wind getting underneath.

Change it up and open a new ticket and ask Jayco if there are wood trusses or what is under the roof deck allowing you to walk on it. See if they will send you a diagram for where the trusses are, or you can probably figure it out by the amount of flex underfoot while you're up there.

If wood trusses I would say it;s standard CYA and you can mount them.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

f150camper
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
What Jayco means is, the Roof on a Hybrid is designed with certain Stress supports. They install supports for the roof AC weight which is about 100 pounds. The roof will indeed hold 250 lbs of a person. I weigh 250 and have been on countless Jayco Hybrids doing roof and AC work. What Jayco is stating is standard CYA language. Even tho your unit is way past warranty, Jayco will not state what to do and will just discourage you from doing it. There is no problem installing Solar Panels on your Jayco. Doug

That was my first thought also.
There was so much snow on that roof two years ago that a couple solar panels would add literally nothing compared to the snow load.
What I am not 100% sure about is the screws holding the panels down at highway speeds, but most likely that would be ok as well.

2012 Jayco X19H

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
What Jayco means is, the Roof on a Hybrid is designed with certain Stress supports. They install supports for the roof AC weight which is about 100 pounds. The roof will indeed hold 250 lbs of a person. I weigh 250 and have been on countless Jayco Hybrids doing roof and AC work. What Jayco is stating is standard CYA language. Even tho your unit is way past warranty, Jayco will not state what to do and will just discourage you from doing it. There is no problem installing Solar Panels on your Jayco. Doug

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
And the heat goes where, MDK? Just touch a solar panel in a SoCal summer and youโ€™ll see.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
f150camper wrote:
Hi all!
I am planning on installing a solar system on my 2012 Jayco X19H. In the process, I asked Jayco customer service for roof / wiring plans. Here is their response:

response 1:
"Thank you for contacting Jayco. My records indicate that your trailer did not come pre-wired for any solar panels. At this time, I cannot make any recommendations or provide any prints because the trailer cannot support any solar panels. Iโ€™m sorry for the inconvenience."

After asking for more details, I got response 2:
"What I mean by that statement is the trailer is not wired for any solar panels nor can the roof support the weight of the solar panels. Please see the attached roof print."

Has anybody heard something like that before? Are they saying this to avoid liability issues, or is this real?
Wondering if anybody has installed solar panels here on a Jayco Hybrid TT.
Thanks for any responses!

If weight is the only issue, what about going "Flexi"? Here's an example, and according to the vendor, their 100W panels only weigh....
https://www.zampsolar.com/100watt-flexi
Couple of heavily caulked screws at the corners, and some 3M adhesive or Eternabond tape, and you're good to go.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

f150camper
Explorer
Explorer
I know that I can walk on the roof with no issues, 225lbs.

The roof plan states: 1/2 Plywood Laminated to 1" Foamular. Plywood on interior side of roof.

Not sure what exactly that means.
But yes, a portable panel would eliminate the wiring concerns, LOL. ๐Ÿ™‚

2012 Jayco X19H

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Portable panels....set up in the morning (my roof mounted panels are already working.) Move with the sun, watch for theft. (Roof mounted panels arenโ€™t stolen) Take down and stow for lunch in town. (Mine keep charging) Return from lunch, set up panels again. Move with sun, watch for theft. Take down and stow for night. Yes, portables are great...$300 for 100 watts!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Does the roof plan state what the base material for the roof is? 3/8" plywood or possibly some foam based material that will not hold fasteners well enough to ensure the panels don't pull out when reaching highway speeds.

They may have used something like a masonite panel which could make your panels pull the fasteners when they try to lift due to wind passing along the roofline.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Probably best to take their advice and use portable panels.

Apparently if it was wired for solar the roof structure would be different.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can still do portable solar, plus that eliminates all those wiring issues.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
While they may not approve of a person walking on the roof, if the roof cannot support the weight of solar panels, I'm not at all impressed with the build quality of your trailer.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, Winnebago said that to me in 2014 but it does have a walkable roof, so it was baloney.

An RV solar project starts with an energy survey (either actual use or desired use). What was your survey result in amp hours?