Explorer II
Explorer II
1)Ford F-150 (31.8% below average)
2)Ram 1500 (14% below average)
3)GMC Sierra (10.7% below average)
4)Chevy Silverado (10.3% below average)
5)Toyota Tundra (8% below average)
6)Nissan Titan (13.5% above average)

Since all of the trucks are below average I assume that the baseline is all vehicles on the road though I don't see that stated in the article.

Pickup insurance costs

It looks like Edmunds jumped the gun on the risk of aluminum.

Edmunds test

One thing that I find interesting is that the F150 had more of the expensive stuff that Edmunds broke than other brands during this time period and still come out well.
43 REPLIES 43

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:
Isn’t the easier way to reduce repair costs to not hit stuff?

Replaced the last two trucks because they were rusting away...without hitting anything.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
In WI all steel rusts, and most aluminum tailgates on Ford SUV's corrode.

Sure, you might get someone who "says" their truck has never been washed, garaged, and is rust free. But they are lying.

There are massive amounts of late 00's steel bodied trucks with bad bad rust.

It is what it is.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Well my 13 Explorer hood has peeling paint on the hood. My buddy had an 05 Expedition with peeling paint on the tailgate. I worked in a body shop for 10 years and seen hundreds of cars come through with peeling paint on various aluminum panels.

Weird you worked in a body shop an never saw peeling paint on steel.

Only on the cars with known bad paint. You hardly ever see peeling paint on steel.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Well my 13 Explorer hood has peeling paint on the hood. My buddy had an 05 Expedition with peeling paint on the tailgate. I worked in a body shop for 10 years and seen hundreds of cars come through with peeling paint on various aluminum panels.

Weird you worked in a body shop an never saw peeling paint on steel.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Isn’t the easier way to reduce repair costs to not hit stuff?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
spud1957 wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
That’s all great! But what happens when the paint starts falling off when the aluminum starts corroding? All the manuf can’t keep paint on the aluminum panels they have now, wonder how it will look with full aluminum!

The aluminum body for the F150 has been out since 2015 so there are some trucks on the road for almost 5 years.

There is not one post on the FTE/F150 website regarding paint peeling. So that would tell everyone it's a non-issue.

S

The hood on my 2002 explorer is aluminum, and still has all the paint. Not sure how that knowledge would have been lost between then and 2015?
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
spud1957 wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
spud1957 wrote:
Yep, and almost every one had peeling paint!

WOW, quite a statement. That is absolutely not true. Unless you have some sort of data research that confirms this.

I live in the salt belt. That’s all the research I need!!!!

I'm sure you do but so does all of Canada and half the US.

It is observational bias. People see what they want. People make a hypothesis and find the data that supports it. Human nature and everyone does it to a certain degree. That is why simple anecdotal evidence does not equal scientific results.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
FlatBroke wrote:
Live in northern Colo. 9 months a year. AZ 3 months a year. Believe me it has seen it’s share of snow and calcium chloride liquid. Pulled a fifth wheel through that stuff and it rusted the the frame right though the paint.

If you say so, but look at trucks in rust belt areas and you will be very hard pressed not to find rust...usually significant.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
FlatBroke wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Does it factor in replacing 75% of the body on a steel truck when it rusts away at 10yrs?

Funny how my GMC is 17 years old and never has seen the inside of a garage. Paint is as good as it was when I first brought it home and not a bit of rust anywhere. You’ll have to come up with something better than that statement.

If you live in the desert SW, you could make it out of cheesewhiz.

In the north where they salt your truck annually...good luck getting 10yr without significant rust no matter how good you are about washing and trying to keep the salt off.

Live in northern Colo. 9 months a year. AZ 3 months a year. Believe me it has seen it’s share of snow and calcium chloride liquid. Pulled a fifth wheel through that stuff and it rusted the the frame right though the paint.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
spud1957 wrote:

WOW, quite a statement. That is absolutely not true. Unless you have some sort of data research that confirms this.

I'm sure you do but so does all of Canada and half the US.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:

LOL.....talk about repair costs? If in a fender bender you'll have to take it to JL Kraft.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
FlatBroke wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Does it factor in replacing 75% of the body on a steel truck when it rusts away at 10yrs?

Funny how my GMC is 17 years old and never has seen the inside of a garage. Paint is as good as it was when I first brought it home and not a bit of rust anywhere. You’ll have to come up with something better than that statement.

In the north where they salt your truck annually...good luck getting 10yr without significant rust no matter how good you are about washing and trying to keep the salt off.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
spud1957 wrote:

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is