Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Drinking Campground Water...
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Drinking Campground Water...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
beemerphile1

Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/19 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've always drank from public water sources until we spent last winter in the southwest desert. We were warned to purchase RO water for drinking because of the high salt content in the desert area. Once we traveled east to Texas and beyond we drank public water again.

FWIW you don't need to buy "bottled" water. We bought a seven gallon Aquatainer and find stations to fill it with RO water. The seven gallon container usually costs about $1.50 to fill and no plastic waste.

* This post was edited 05/19/19 12:02pm by beemerphile1 *

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS

buc1980

houston tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/19 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I test it first if it is good I use it.

2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,14750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.

LadyRVer

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/19 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use campground water, no filter and have since the beginning of rving for me. I used to carry gallon jugs of "home" water for my spaniel and then if running low start buying WalMart spring water. Since I have been on the road for 6 months now, I have used and given my spaniel cg water. Do not see any difference. IF I have to use fresh water tank water tho, I do use bottled water for drinking and coffee.

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/19 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OleManOleCan wrote:

My wife and are are arguing about making coffee with campground water.
I've always used a water filter on our White Hose, but my wife has never tasted campground water, she buys gallons of water.

The water in question is at Desoto State Park. (Alabama)
I've drank the water, both filtered and unfiltered.
I can't tell the difference. Taste like the water at our home.
Far as I know they have never had a problem with their water.

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
I'd like to know how the forum feels about general campground water.
Do you buy gallons of water for coffee, or use what comes out of the faucet?

Try the water at De Soto State Park and see. It has been many years icne we last went there and at the time it was good well water but the whole area is built up. If it is from a manicpual source then filter, filter it anyway.
Your post remind me to go the next couple of days for some filter cartridges. Good filters will get everything just about. The bet one you have to fave more filters since their very fine filtration media will clog up doing its job sooner than less efficient filter. the ones with silver in the carbon block will get the nasties.

stickdog

Somewhere, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/19 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ten years full time drink the water everywhere that it's tested and passed as potable. You can always add a shot of Knob Hill or CC to purify and improve the taste.

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
17 MS 36 RSSB3
Gone 04 HH DA LS 33.5 RLTG
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/19 01:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BillyBob Jim wrote:

Saving the planet by recycling and boycotting plastic packaging, but traveling around in or towing an RV while getting 7 mpg [emoticon]

But...but....but...but... we don't drive it every day. Well sometimes we have but I prefer to set up the rig and fish and explore with my 20mpg car.
Maybe we need a new measure a new standard. Gallons per month, or gallons per season, gallons per year???

doxiemom11

Paris, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/19 01:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have used campground water since we started full-time 9 years ago, except in a couple places in the SW where the water tasted very salty. Sometimes it's city water, sometimes from a well, but they put their water systems in the same as you would for your house, so why would it be unsafe ? We use a whole house filter.

We also don't buy bottled water in most cases, as it's a waste of money. We know that bottled water is pumped right out of the ground and/or filled from taps and is the same water that is available for free. We are in MI right now where one company(more than 1 label) gets their water, bottles it, and sells it to you making big profits.

* This post was edited 05/19/19 01:46pm by doxiemom11 *

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/19 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I fill my fresh tanks from my home tap. The bird always gets home tap - don't want a sick bird as it is extremely expensive. The dogs drink whatever. They have great constitutions. I use my water for drinking first because I like the taste. I use the campground water for cooking, cleaning, etc., if I will be gone long enough that I will run out of my water.

It was revealed that several bottled water companies use our city water. So, many of you are buying the water that comes out of my tap at a huge cost increase. It is good tasting water.

As for the argument that if you're driving an RV you shouldn't worry about any other environmental issues, I believe that everyone does things differently. My home electrical use is much lower than other homes in my region. My water use is much lower. My trash quantity is much lower. My fuel use per mile is higher. I do more in other areas to make up for the one area I do less.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

maddog348

Bakersfield,CA

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/19 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

beemerphile1 wrote:

FWIW you don't need to buy "bottled" water. We bought a seven gallon Aquatainer and find stations to fill it with RO water. The seven gallon container usually costs about $1.50 to fill and no plastic waste.

Does NOt fit all situations.Won't fit in my TC Plus I could not pick it up and carry it. Yes I use plastic bottles OVER & OVER & OVER.

JM2¢ ~~ YMMV

garmp

St Louis, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/19 03:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stickdog wrote:

Ten years full time drink the water everywhere that it's tested and passed as potable. You can always add a shot of Knob Hill or CC to purify and improve the taste.

Good point. That's my kind of thinking.
We generally have bottled water on hand if the campground water is that bad. But it's always been good enough for coffee.

Our Phoenix Cruiser 2100, "Bob", has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Drinking Campground Water...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS