Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bucking with Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection

hkrisle
Explorer
Explorer
Setup:
Tow vehicle: 2015 F350 short bed with B&W Goosneck hitch and Anderson 5th Wheel Ultimate Connection and 3000lb air bags. Recently added Bilstein 5160 shocks.

Towed Vehicle: 2017 3730FL Keystone Montana. NOTE: running about 1000lb payload for a gross weight of around 14,400 at the most. I always run dry so no water or black/grey water. I generally load over the axles for balanced load.

I can get severe bucking when exiting certain fast dips after a bridge.

Any ideas what I can do to help the situation? Trailer shocks, different hitch,????
24 REPLIES 24

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like the Gen-Y would help with bouncing, but since it looks like it helps mainly up-and-down motion, it might not help with chucking, which is front-to-back motion. JMO of course.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I know mine is a TT but the problem was the same. Iโ€™m not familiar with the Mor-Ride so it may be the same. But anyway, I put a Gen-Y on my hitch. Itโ€™s like night and day difference and they do make one for a 5er . It didnโ€™t eliminate the bucking but it sure helped! The drawback, itโ€™s HEAVVVVVY.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"ONE" advantage of a TT is they are easier to backup.

I guarantee with Bilstein shocks, proper rear tire pressure and air bag pressure I could get these problematic rigs to tow JUST FINE.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
troubledwaters wrote:
Let me guess - Everyone told you how great 5th wheels tow; So much better than a TT.
Why wouldn't they? It's true.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

troubledwaters
Explorer
Explorer
Let me guess - Everyone told you how great 5th wheels tow; So much better than a TT.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
FWIW we have a toyhauler and carry two motorcycles in the rear. If we travel without the bikes back there, which is rarely, the chucking is quite severe compared to when the bikes are loaded. I've never weighed the truck/trailer without the bikes loaded, so I have no idea what the empty pin weight is. But I assume the pin weight goes down a bit when the bikes are loaded at the back, and the trailer handles much better. I run about 65 psi in my air bags with a 3000 lb. pin weight.

From my experience I think yโ€™all are running WAY too much air in your bags.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Lightning55
Explorer
Explorer
I use the Andersen Ultimate hitch and pull a good sized Jayco FW. The chucking was so bad on certain road conditions it stressed me out every time we went out. After several unsuccessful changes, I finally installed a MorRyde rubber pin box. It made a huge difference. I don't think it solved the problem but dampens it enough that it doesn't bother me anymore. I would never own another FW without the MorRyde pin box.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
FWIW we have a toyhauler and carry two motorcycles in the rear. If we travel without the bikes back there, which is rarely, the chucking is quite severe compared to when the bikes are loaded. I've never weighed the truck/trailer without the bikes loaded, so I have no idea what the empty pin weight is. But I assume the pin weight goes down a bit when the bikes are loaded at the back, and the trailer handles much better. I run about 65 psi in my air bags with a 3000 lb. pin weight.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP. How did you determine what your pin weight is?

hkrisle
Explorer
Explorer
That is incorrect.

I set the air bags at a specific pressure and it will either run the compressor to increase the pressure or you can hear it bleed air if its higher than it was originally set. The controls are in the cab.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
hkrisle wrote:
Sorry I haven't been back for a while:
Answers:
1. My air bag auto adjust. If i set them at 30 unloaded they're still at 30 when I hitch the load (BTW pin weight is about 2670)
2. I've tried front load back loaded with no difference. If anything its less of an issue when I'm back loaded
3. The ball is about 5" behind center line of the rear axle. That's the Anderson design. However, the weight center line is still directly over the center line of the rear axle. IE: The anderson hitch rises directly over the rear axle center line but offset's to the rear at the top of the hitch.

Thanks everyone! The more ideas the more I have to work with. PS: We love the unit!

Makes no sense. On air bags the pressure goes up when load is applied. Iโ€™m betting you have too much air in the bags when loaded. Truck ride level loaded?

hkrisle
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry I haven't been back for a while:
Answers:
1. My air bag auto adjust. If i set them at 30 unloaded they're still at 30 when I hitch the load (BTW pin weight is about 2670)
2. I've tried front load back loaded with no difference. If anything its less of an issue when I'm back loaded
3. The ball is about 5" behind center line of the rear axle. That's the Anderson design. However, the weight center line is still directly over the center line of the rear axle. IE: The anderson hitch rises directly over the rear axle center line but offset's to the rear at the top of the hitch.

Thanks everyone! The more ideas the more I have to work with. PS: We love the unit!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Are you setting bags to 30psi UNLOADED???

When I ran bags on my 11 RAM DRW I aired to 5psi UNLOADED and when the 4500# load was applied the bags were about 30psi.

Too many people run too much air in their bags!!!

SAE
Explorer
Explorer
I would guess its being caused by your RV not having the weight it needs . For grins, load up the trailer nose heavy vs. your usual over the axle. Have the truck squat a bit, but not from TV load, rather from RV load.

I have a B&W turnover and the Andersen. I also have the B&W Companion. I like the Andersen best. Very smooth. Very easy to handle in/out! ๐Ÿ™‚

2003 F350 long crew and 2010 tri-axle Fusion. LCI rubberized equalizers.