cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need a lift for my 5th wheel hitch

lmpres
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I'm finally admitting it. At age 59, I need a lift for my 5th wheel hitch. Wrenched my back lifting it into the back of the truck this week.

Anybody have suggestions? Reasonably priced I hope.....
13 REPLIES 13

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I was given a mind altering substance.

Get a neighbor kid to help load and unload your hitch. Teach em the value of work = money.

When it drops on his ankle or foot.....YOU may be given an *economical* altering substance - a summons when his parents "pursue legal avenues" to recoup medical bills, etc...:(

Even if *he* doesn't know the result associated with the/an injury - bet his parents do = your (or your Hm Owners Ins Company)...value of a work injury = money...:S

Bad Karma - but it is what it is. We live in a litigious society!

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
My hitch is hanging on the king pin as we speak. Why go through all the gyrations?

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
I sometimes leave the hitch attached to the trailer , pull the pins and the trailer jacks will lift the hitch and trailer off of the truck . Never have to lift .Leave the hitch hang until you need it again , reverse to install !Literally!!!

I saw this suggestion previously, and thought it would be a pretty good idea. I have a portable gantry crane 12 ft high and 12 ft wide with an air powered chain hoist on it, so I would be lifting it out with a strap and setting it on a harbor freight furniture dolly, but I don't have/don't want a 5th wheel, so that wont happen, but leaving it attached to the trailer is a pretty good idea.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I was given a mind altering substance.

Get a neighbor kid to help load and unload your hitch. Teach em the value of work = money.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Get an ANDERSEN.

If you get an ANDERSEN.... maybe you can join the owner of Andersen Hitches (with his family) for a .......

PHOTO OPPORTUNITY

Great recommendation.... :h...with links.

:W

Explorer II
Explorer II
I use a chain fall, three short chains and a tree branch. Hoist it off the bed, pull the truck forward and lower it onto a trailer.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
wanderingbob wrote:
I sometimes leave the hitch attached to the trailer , pull the pins and the trailer jacks will lift the hitch and trailer off of the truck . Never have to lift .Leave the hitch hang until you need it again , reverse to install !

That's what I plan on doing when I need to remove it. Only thing I might do different is lower it onto a cart and wheel it into the garage.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Get an ANDERSEN.

What!!! Did your keyboard get stuck :B

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Get an ANDERSEN.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
I sometimes leave the hitch attached to the trailer , pull the pins and the trailer jacks will lift the hitch and trailer off of the truck . Never have to lift .Leave the hitch hang until you need it again , reverse to install !

Otherwise I use this for loading stuff: Hydraulic Table
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
Just installed a Superglide 2700 its heavy. I have this mounted in my truck as we lift a Honda 3000i with it. Installed the 2700 with it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-capacity-pickup-truck-crane-60732.html
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like "somebody" has a PR SuperGlide!

Good, better, best.

Harbor Freight is your (back's) best friend!...

Chain hoist, crane hoist, "cherry picker" style engine hoist.......

BEST = the five minute, one button lift.

Electric hoist. About 15 lbs. Hang it from a rafter in the garage, or on a 4 x 6 between two stationary objects.

Pull underneath. Push button to lift. Lower onto a furniture dolly, roll it to wherever you like.

Bonus = ALL of the above choices have other uses.