cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

$700 replacement toilet????

redT2go
Explorer
Explorer
We took our Fleetwood Expedition MH in for repairs. One of the repairs that needed to be done was replacing the toilet. For the toilet alone we were just quoted $700!! When my husband asked why he was told that it was a special toilet and would have to order from Fleetwood. Since I didn't speak with them I'm not sure what kind of special toilet it is. It seems and works just like any other toilet we have had in campers. It has no special features. My question is: Are camping toilets universal or do we need a Fleetwood toilet? Any insights would be helpful. I plan on calling the service department tomorrow morning but wanted to be prepared.
31 REPLIES 31

Louseman
Explorer
Explorer
As an owner of a 2016 Fleetwood Expedition 38K, I have two toilets in the bath and a half layout. Both are porcelain. Without additional input from the OP on their unit, I'll offer the following:

Mid toilet is a Dometic 311 Toilet. This is the low profile (15.25") variant of the 310 (20").

Rear toilet is a Thetford Bone Tecma Silence Plus Macerator Toilet. If ordered directly from Fleetwood, the charge is $1600.75 (plus shipping). This toilet does integrate into a flush control panel mounted on the cabinet next to the toilet, so you probably want to match a Thetford macerator toilet to be compatible with that.

Certainly, both toilets can be ordered from a number of third party suppliers.

You can look up your RV components directly on REV's Parts Store website:
https://parts.revgroup.com/store
Go to the link, click on the Motorhome Parts box at the bottom, Enter your VIN or Fleetwood Identification Number (FIN/UIN) in the search box, and select your vehicle. Search for the parts you are looking for.

If it is the macerator toilet that is broken, with that price, I would personally lean towards repairing it. I can only see replacement necessary if the porcelain was broken. All other components I would assume are replaceable if broken.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Why would the OP keep the RV at CW? It is obvious that CW has a problem. Why also does the OP NOT get the Model number. There HAS to be a brand and Model number for them to order. Bemis or any other brand. LOOOOOOOOOONG shot would be that someone, somehow, modified the toilet room to accommodate a residential toilet. THAT would take some very extensive modifications to fit a residential in a RV toilet room. Doug

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
redT2go wrote:
jimx200 wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Is a standard toilet or a vacu-flush toilet?

CW just called and said that it has to be a "Bemis" toilet and another brand could not be used.

ROFLMAO..........................I would not let anyone, no matter how far they're even remotely associated with whoever is telling you that, to touch my RV. Sounds like some Camping World bonehead seen Bemis stamped on the toilet seat, and determined that is the brand of the toilet.

BEMIS MFG

redT2go
Explorer
Explorer
jimx200 wrote:
dodge guy wrote:

It is a standard toilet. CW just called and said that it has to be a "Bemis" toilet and another brand could not be used. I don't feel like that is correct. I'm calling Fleetwood to see if they can give me any insight.

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
redT2go wrote:
Thank you for the responses!! I called Camping World to clarify the $700 bill for a toilet. The breakdown is as follows: $320 for a Bemis toilet. I tried search for online to compare prices but could not find a Bemis toilet anywhere.

Good ole Camping World incompetence as per usual.

Bemis does not make toilets. They make toilet seats. Are you sure she did not say Beavis? Better chance of getting a toilet from him than Bemis.

jimx200
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Again, is this a standard toilet or a vacu flush. It sounds like a standard toilet. The shipping is what is killing the deal! And I canโ€™t believe (or maybe I can) that CW would be charging $200 for shipping when you can get the same price or cheaper and free shipping from else where!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

MrWizard
2016 i bought a Dometic/sealand 310 porcelain toilet for $192 from amazon prime
free shipping
for our safari

(2) days ago ordered a Thetford 42170 aquaflush loRise for $143 free shipping
light weight plastic not porcelain

$200 to ship a porcelain toilet ??
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

redT2go
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the responses!! I called Camping World to clarify the $700 bill for a toilet. The breakdown is as follows: $320 for a Bemis toilet. I tried search for online to compare prices but could not find a Bemis toilet anywhere. Asked if it had to be a Bemis and she did not know and said she would have to find out. Labor is $170. Supplies $30 and yikes shipping is estimated at $200. Again I asked if they didn't have something in stock that would work and she said they would have to get back to me. It is porcelein. On Amazon I found reasonably priced porcelain rv toilets which had FREE shipping!! So I will have to wait until tomorrow and see what they find out.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
Another question would be why does it need a complete replacement? How about a simple rebuild?

I replaced the water/flush valve in ours for well under $100. (Might have been closer to $25.00. It was awhile ago, don't remember the exact number, but it wasn't much.)

Yep! Most RV toilet manufacturers maintain a pretty good supply of repair parts, even on aging models. IMO, depending on how much the toilet is used, there is a "window of economical repair" at around +-15 years where the plastic parts (if applicable) start to get brittle and are easily fractured. After that point, its best to replace in total, rather than repair.

Chum lee

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
Maybe the repair place is on a military base...

In that case the OP might need a $300 hammer to remove the old turlet, and a $250 crescent wrench to install the new $700 one.

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Is it gold plated? If not, look up the replacement model and order and replace yourself.
2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Bingo, look at the prices just for these 2 toilets. Doug

https://www.dyersonline.com/rv-plumbing/rv-toilets/permanent-toilets.html?price=600-

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!