cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Price per mile

leggy
Explorer
Explorer
What is a reasonable price to charge to haul a fifth wheel? I was thinking 2-2.50.
26 REPLIES 26

tommyznr
Explorer
Explorer
You guys sure get in a lot of accidents around here.
Tom

2017 GMC Sierra SLT, Max Tow package
2018 Grand Design Reflection 295RL

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
leggy wrote:
Op here
I saw an add on Craigslist looking for someone to haul a camper to a location close to some family property and thought I could make a little money and stop by the property.

You would be better off taking a job as a greeter at Walmart!
"Little money" for sure. But no other hassles that could cost *YOU* a *LOT* of money!!..:S

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
laknox wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
laknox wrote:
Personally, I'd be "moving it for a buddy/cousin/co-worker" at +/- $2/mile, cash. :B Keep gas receipts and say, "this is what I got paid; fuel only."

Lyle

If you are playing the "buddy" game, showing receipts works against you as it looks a lot like you are running a business...an unprofitable business but still a business.

It's also highly dependent on your new "buddy" playing along with insurance fraud if anything goes wrong.

Hell, take the "buddy" with you, then. :B

Lyle

Now you just added a different animal. Insurance and licensing for passenger service is even more stringent...really think he won't sue the pants off you if he's injured in a crash?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
When I use my truck and trailer for hauling I expect to make $100/hour at least for the time it's on the road.

Is this $100/hr beyond your expenses? Or, are you saying you bill $100/hr while on the road? If the latter I can't imagine how you are making any money.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
When I use my truck and trailer for hauling I expect to make $100/hour at least for the time it's on the road.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
leggy wrote:
Op here
I saw an add on Craigslist looking for someone to haul a camper to a location close to some family property and thought I could make a little money and stop by the property.

The price you charge should be considerably less than what a commercial hauler would charge. You will not have any insurance on the trailer, so the trailer owner is taking a huge risk. That risk should be rewarded with much less fees.

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer
hornet28 wrote:
$300 for 90 miles!!:E

I thought $300.00 for 90 miles was way to much especially since we purchased the fifth wheel from them.

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
$300 for 90 miles!!:E

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer
Since we didnโ€™t have a truck to pull our 5th wheel yet the dealer where we bought it from wanted $300.00 to deliver it 90 miles. I left it at the dealer until we found a truck.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would be at $3+ for personal service. $200 minimum. Need enough to get back home too.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
valhalla360 wrote:
laknox wrote:
Personally, I'd be "moving it for a buddy/cousin/co-worker" at +/- $2/mile, cash. :B Keep gas receipts and say, "this is what I got paid; fuel only."

Lyle

If you are playing the "buddy" game, showing receipts works against you as it looks a lot like you are running a business...an unprofitable business but still a business.

It's also highly dependent on your new "buddy" playing along with insurance fraud if anything goes wrong.

Hell, take the "buddy" with you, then. :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
BillyBob Jim wrote:

leggy wrote:
What is a reasonable price to charge to haul a fifth wheel? I was thinking 2-2.50.

Did not notice the OP even asked for opinions on the legalities of it. I'll hang my hat with laknox......sometimes having a little outlaw blood in ya is not a bad thing.

He wanted to know what is reasonable...without knowing the costs and risks, how does he assess what is reasonable?

$10/mile may be too little if he gets in an accident and insurance company decides it was a commercial operation and not covered.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
laknox wrote:

Lyle

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
BillyBob Jim wrote:
Some folks on forums must have run out of room on their shirts for all the badges. The weight police, tire police, propane police, bumper mounted bike rack police, just this week the double post police were chartered here, and now the transport police.

leggy wrote:

Did not notice the OP even asked for opinions on the legalities of it. I'll hang my hat with laknox......sometimes having a little outlaw blood in ya is not a bad thing.
It's called risk analysis, if the risk far exceeds the reward then it falls in the common sense category. Your entitled to your opinion just as everyone else is entitled to theirs.