Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Late-model 1/2 Ton and 30+ feet - Real world experiences...
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Late-model 1/2 Ton and 30+ feet - Real world experiences...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
CaLBaR

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/14/19 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I pull a 34' Grand Design Reflection 297 RSTS and loaded it comes in at 9400 lbs. I am pretty much at the limits of my 2009 Tundra and the truck pulls great and handles the trailer well. High cross winds push me around a bit but with the Reese Straightline hitch system no sway. I have towed over 6600 miles and I would say this is a good compromise between daily driver and towing. The Tundra is well up to the task of both. Very happy that I didn't have to trade it in for a 3/4 or 1 ton truck to pull the new trailer.

2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/19 07:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine is over 30', but not 8000lb. Tows very good though

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

riven1950

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/15/19 04:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are at about 7000lbs, not 8000, ( 7495 GVWR ), 29'9", GD TT.

Towing with a 2018 F150 ECO CC 4x4 max tow pkg., with Michelin Defender tires

Tows great

Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/15/19 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone, for sticking on topic! I wasn't sure we'd be able to!

Interesting input. Everyone's expectations and comforts in towing are different, which very much comes into play with something like this. But still, with the anecdotal reports being shared, it seems as though there might be a substantive difference between those in the 7-8k range and those in the 10k range.

I do find it interesting that no one has named power as an issue, which indicates that the trucks can reaonably pull the loads for which they are rated. I wasn't sure that would be the case.

AlmostAnOldGuy

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/19 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tow a trailer a fraction under 30' that weigh 8000 loaded to camp. I went from a 2001 2500 Suburban with the 8.1 and 4.10 to a 2012 F-150 with the HD Payload option and have no regrets. I am within all limits (payload, RAWR, hitch, etc.). I use a Reese dual cam.

First, to emphasize I got the HD Payload package for a heavier set of axles and suspension.

I prefer how the 3.5 Ecoboost and 6 speed delivers power. The integrated braking was superior. More quiet and comfortable ride.

The 8.1 with the 4.10 had better engine braking.

Take it easy,
Stu

2012 F150 HD/Max Payload (8200 GVWR, 2176 payload) SuperCrew EcoBoost
2008 Komfort Trailblazer T254S

BillyBob Jim

US

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/19 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just go to any campground in the US on May 24 and stay for a few days, go early on the 23rd or something. Then you can sit around the fire on the afternoon of the 24th, sucking down cold ones and watching the circus arrive. its a barrel of fun and you'll see all the 30'+ TT's and quite a few 30'+ 5'rs being pulled by 1/2 tons you care to see. A lot of the trucks will also be loaded down with gas grills, a cord of firewood, half a dozen bicycles, 3 100 qt coolers, and half the patio furniture from the sticks and bricks.

If you stay until Tuesday you get to watch the circus in reverse on Monday, and my favorite, watching the traffic jam at the dump station. Might even see some fisticuffs over idiots tank flushing for twenty minutes with 30 rigs lined up behind them.

We've been watching the circus for years, great fun.

Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/15/19 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AlmostAnOldGuy wrote:

I tow a trailer a fraction under 30' that weigh 8000 loaded to camp. I went from a 2001 2500 Suburban with the 8.1 and 4.10 to a 2012 F-150 with the HD Payload option and have no regrets. I am within all limits (payload, RAWR, hitch, etc.). I use a Reese dual cam.

First, to emphasize I got the HD Payload package for a heavier set of axles and suspension.

I prefer how the 3.5 Ecoboost and 6 speed delivers power. The integrated braking was superior. More quiet and comfortable ride.

The 8.1 with the 4.10 had better engine braking.

Take it easy,
Stu

Interesting input, Stu. Thanks. If we ever went this route, this would be exactly our scenario. Ours is a few years newer (2006), but we have the same Suburban with the same set-up - and while a few feet longer, our trailer is the same weight. At 13 years old, the Suburban getting a bit long in the tooth, and the nature of our travel is transitioning in a way that the third row may not continue to be as important as it used to be. We have no plans to make any changes in the near future, but it adds fodder to my consideration of what comes next.

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/19 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BillyBob Jim wrote:

Just go to any campground in the US on May 24 and stay for a few days, go early on the 23rd or something. Then you can sit around the fire on the afternoon of the 24th, sucking down cold ones and watching the circus arrive. its a barrel of fun and you'll see all the 30'+ TT's and quite a few 30'+ 5'rs being pulled by 1/2 tons you care to see. A lot of the trucks will also be loaded down with gas grills, a cord of firewood, half a dozen bicycles, 3 100 qt coolers, and half the patio furniture from the sticks and bricks.

If you stay until Tuesday you get to watch the circus in reverse on Monday, and my favorite, watching the traffic jam at the dump station. Might even see some fisticuffs over idiots tank flushing for twenty minutes with 30 rigs lined up behind them.

x2. It's actually more fun than watching people launch boats.

We've been watching the circus for years, great fun.

gmckenzie

BC

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/19 03:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trailer is 34'4" from tongue to bumper and 8200 lbs loaded (I've scaled it).

I used to pull with a 2001 3/4 ton Duramax and now pull with a 2015 GMC Sierra max trailering package.

Truck pulls fine for the most part. Some hills I miss the diesel. I have a 4 pt hitch and Sumo springs (like Timbrens) to help with the sag. Had some porpoising between Jasper and Banff, but the road sucks. Other wise it tows just fine.

Went this route as my non-trailering use is pretty light. ~3km commute and around 10,000 kms a year was not healthy for the diesel and after doing the injectors once (real PITA to do on the early Duramax) I decided I wanted gas again, but not the 6.0L GM has.

Looking at the GM 2020 3/4 tons when they come out as we may be going bigger on the trailer one year. But will stick with gas.

2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

hvac

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/19 07:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nationwide,2015 eco diesel, 8 spd,3.92,air suspension 4 corner. 28 ft ATC 28 front bedroom with 5.5 onan.Approx 7800lbs. Andersen wd.Cooper xl.

Amazing tow vehicle. No drama, just does it but not fastest or the slowest on mt passes.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Late-model 1/2 Ton and 30+ feet - Real world experiences...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS