cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Columbus, Oh to Cape Charles, Va

PilotBMP
Explorer
Explorer
I'm heading from Columbus, Ohio to Cape Charles, Virginia and the route takes me through the I-64 corridor of West Virginia and Virginia. I was wondering if anyone had any route reports on the grades and how tough a drive it is? Looking to pit stop around Charlottesville for the night (5-6 hour/day travel).

F-150 V-8 5.6L tow package
31' travel trailer empty of liquids (waste and water)
10.5mpg (fuel stop recommendations welcome)

Thank you!!

Ben
3 REPLIES 3

Blair_s4
Explorer
Explorer
We travel that route every year to the Eastern Shore, Cape Charles is a great place. Some decent grades and a lot of traffic but it usually seems to move pretty well except through Hampton. Just be patient.
We stop and overnight in Lexington at the Lee-Hi travel plaza. Normally park with the semi`s in the far back corner. If it`s hot and we want to run the A/C, they have a small campground in the back with full hook-ups. I think its $25 or $30 for the night. You pay at the fuel desk.
Dodge 2500 CTD
Salem 27DBUD

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
PilotBMP wrote:
I'm heading from Columbus, Ohio to Cape Charles, Virginia and the route takes me through the I-64 corridor of West Virginia and Virginia. I was wondering if anyone had any route reports on the grades and how tough a drive it is? Looking to pit stop around Charlottesville for the night (5-6 hour/day travel).

F-150 V-8 5.6L tow package
31' travel trailer empty of liquids (waste and water)
10.5mpg (fuel stop recommendations welcome)

Thank you!!

Ben

Took your route once and Hated it - Trucks traffic and no Fun - look at this option - Columbus to the Eastern Shore of Virginia. - still need to be aware of traffic - But IMHO just easier. I've done the trip from Annapolis to Wakarusa so many times I could do it in My Sleep - always easy only traffic is around Baltimore - Washington - Bay Bridge.

Just another Option.

Best of Luck
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
It's an interstate highway, so it has at least two lanes, 7% grades and lots of other traffic that travels it daily. Yes, you must cross mountains and it has curves. Follow the signage as to the maximum and minimum speeds and you should be fine. Use the tow-haul function on your truck to allow the vehicle to slow in the mountains.

We have stayed at Misty Mountain Campground, just west of Charlottesville and it had easy access off of I-64, about 5 minutes. The sites were close and not much privacy, but it worked great for an overnight.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW