cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selecting new TT Tires

The_LeRoys
Explorer
Explorer
I need to replace one of my TT tires because of a blowout. So I’m looking at what to buy.

Currently they are radial 225/75/15 Load Range D. In looking at these they have a max weight of 2500 per tire. Since my TT weighs close to 10K that would mean I need to have the weight really well balanced to not have one tire over its limit.

I’m thinking that I should move up to Load Range E tires for the extra capacity.

Should I replace just the one that failed or all 4? We probably have right around 8-10K miles on the tires, which are 6 years old.

Should I consider Radials or BiasPly?
Brian & Evie LeRoy and our 4 kids.
2013 KZ Spree 329IK
2006 Ford F250 6.0L
2008 Ford E350 v10
22 REPLIES 22

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting article. One line caught my attention though.

“He says trailer overloading, not tire quality, leads to ST tire failures.“

Either he doesn’t know what he’s talking about, or the masses here on RV.net don’t. I’d like to see some numbers though. The difference in damage done between bias ply and radial when they do blow is undeniable. Radial damage is often very extensive. Bias ply blowout damage is none. But if bias plies blow far more than radials, there may be something to it. I’ll be staying with bias ply on my boat trailer. I do not want steel belts whipping my boat in case of a blow out.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

CALandLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Hannibal wrote:
Bias ply have two benefits. They’re more forgiving of curbs and potholes and, if one blows at highway speed, they simply fly apart. Radials roll easier, cooler and last many more miles as far as tread wear, but not years. When a radial blows at highway speed, they often beat the trailer with steel belts causing extensive damage. I have 14” Carlisle bias ply on my boat trailer with good results. I’m thinking of trying a set of 15” bias ply Carlisle’s on our TT this fall.

A worthwhile read if contemplating new bias ply tires.

Click Here!

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Bias ply have two benefits. They’re more forgiving of curbs and potholes and, if one blows at highway speed, they simply fly apart. Radials roll easier, cooler and last many more miles as far as tread wear, but not years. When a radial blows at highway speed, they often beat the trailer with steel belts causing extensive damage. I have 14” Carlisle bias ply on my boat trailer with good results. I’m thinking of trying a set of 15” bias ply Carlisle’s on our TT this fall.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Yes, replace all 4. I would highly recommend going with the Carlisle HD’s in the “E” rating. One of the best tires out there right now!

X2
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I just put Goodyear Endurance.... They are also heavier tires than other ST and LT tires in the same size.

The LT and ST in a 235/85-16 E are about the only two that are the same size.

Goodyear says the ST235/85-16 E weighs 44 lbs.

Goodyear also says their LT E Wrangler H/T weighs 50 lbs.

Michelin same size XPS Ribs weighs 56 lbs.

Bridgestone R-238 same size weighs 59 lbs.

BFG Commercial LT E same size weighs 45 lbs.

No doubt the new Endurance is a a lot heavier than the old same size Marathons at around 38 lbs. They should do well for rv trailer use.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, replace all 4. I would highly recommend going with the Carlisle HD’s in the “E” rating. One of the best tires out there right now!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
lenr wrote:
.... I just put Goodyear Endurance.... They are also heavier tires than other ST and LT tires in the same size. .

Yep.

Here's a video comparing the weight of the Endurance to a Les Schwab
Bob

The_LeRoys
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like Goodyear Endurance is the way most are going.

I ordered a set of 4 and have them scheduled to be installed by Goodyear at my house on Monday.
Brian & Evie LeRoy and our 4 kids.
2013 KZ Spree 329IK
2006 Ford F250 6.0L
2008 Ford E350 v10

CALandLIN
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:

Bias ply are from another era. For a road trailer the radial tire is the way to go.

RVIA has come out in support of that statement by recommending all of their members - about 98% of all RV trailer manufacturers - to start using radial tires on all wheels 13" in diameter or larger.

Click Here!

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
OP wrote:
I’m thinking that I should move up to Load Range E tires for the extra capacity.

Good idea on a trailer that size.
Should I replace just the one that failed or all 4? We probably have right around 8-10K miles on the tires, which are 6 years old.

If your tires are ST type they have timed out. ST tires that old and carrying the weight yours are carrying is a good bet others will have the same issue. We see this a lot on all the trailering websites.
Time for all new tires.
Should I consider Radials or BiasPly?

Bias ply are from another era. For a road trailer the radial tire is the way to go.

The Endurance and Carlisle HD have been out for around two years and so far are popular. Neither has been around long enough to see what kind of service record they will have for the long haul (4-5 years and 20k-30k miles). I'm betting both will have a much improved service record.
The Providers have been out since the '10/'11 era are the first of new gen higher speed rated ST class tires. Like many new ST/LT class tires they became popular on haulers webs first and finally trickle down to rv forums.
I have a 10k car hauler (9460 lbs on the axles) with Provider ST235/80-16 E tires with 30k-32k miles on them. I just got off a 623 mile run on a job at 70-75 mph speeds. After 5 years of trouble free service I'm looking to replace them with same.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced my TT tires with Goodyear Endurance.
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
GoodYear ENDERANCE tires have been on the market for a bit over two years with a STELLAR record!

Don't want to hear the "not long enough on the market" BS. 2 plus years and no issues that I have heard of, to me that is a good record.

I have a set on my heavy 23' GlasPly boat trailer and I tow 70 a lot with ZERO issues. My son put a set on his heavy boat trailer and traveled from NW WA to TX Summer 2017 at 75 plus with ZERO issues.

Get the "E" if you want but air to actual weights plus 5psi per GY Tech when going up in load range.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
Radials. Goodyear endurance. Run far away from any chinese tire.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Dave5143 wrote:
Barney just stole my thunder. I've have/had both Maxxis M8008 and the Goodyear Endurance tires. They are both great tires. Buy whichever is cheaper or more available from you dealer. By all means go up to LR-E if your wheels will hold 85 PSI.
a

agree also. I have run 4 sets of Maxxis on my two trarilers, but then the big trailer needed new tires last year I went with the goodyear endurance.

Now I also run a TPMS on both trailers, and it did catch two times when I got a nail and a slow leak, likely kept me from a blowout.

Two sets of maxxis were oem on the trailers, when I replaced them I went with LRE.

And same with the goodyear endurance LRE.

Since the endurance carries a speed rating other than ST, I suspect they also had to follow the stricter testing for the upgraded speed rating. Testing for the ST 65mph speed rating is more lienient than the testing requirements for the "traditional" tire speed ratings.

In any event I'm happy with the endurance so far, but the Maxxis also served me (and several others) well.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!