Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: What brands of Travel Trailers are NEW & Quality
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> What brands of Travel Trailers are NEW & Quality

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
crasster

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/19 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pretty much I've come to the conclusion ANY RV travel trailer coming out of Northern Indiana are not of good quality. On youtube there are brands such as Jayco that they build in 6+ hours. Real thin wood, small screws, etc. There are countless issues coming in to dealerships about sub par mfg of many travel trailers.

Many of the workers are paid by piece (not by hour) and literally RUN as fast as they can all day to crank out as many units as possible for maximum $.

It's just REALLY gone sub par.

The brands I've noticed are pretty much anything owned by Forest River, Jayco, KZ etc. etc. This includes a PLETHORA of smaller brands. Also most brands produced by thor, except for Airstream because I think Airstream customers would probably have a revolt. LOL

Many dealers that push the "junk" out of Indiana factories can have customers leave their unit from 4-5 months to administer the warranty fix... It doesn't take long to realize the warranty period is being used up in this time frame, the customer loses the use of the RV, and the RV is getting older.

So what brands of Travel Trailers today have REAL quality?

Preferably Aluminum wall (studs). Built well. Doesn't have to be "light". Just something that can last and not have problems for the most part.

Thanks!

4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

sgfrye

north carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/08/19 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

get ready for a ton of opinions....

here is mine. wife and i are on our 2nd TT. first was a forest river wildwood. aluminum siding. 33ft , one living room slide. owned it 18 months, towed it up and down east coast, niagara falls, georgia, mountains to the coast. only had one issue which was easy fix. self leveling caulking crack on rear roof corner which i found in a timely manner by doing my monthly roof inspection. recaulked it myself. it is considered a cheap entry level TT sold by a company that gets slammed all the time by bad reviews. we enjoyed the heck out of it.

current TT is a keystone laredo 3 slide, 37ft TT. keystone also gets slammed for bad quality. we chose it because of floor plan. 6 months into it we have had no issues.

i learned a long time ago how to do most of the upkeep and maintenance on it myself. have no desire to leave it at a rv dealer for 2 months waiting for service. RV systems.. plumbing, electric, fridge, heat, hot water heaters etc are not that complicated if you are willing to learn.

in my opinion no RV is built to specs and regs as a stick and brick home. i hear about problems with "high end" units all the time.

the customers controls the market.... and the majority want cheaper units. you get what you pay for.

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/19 12:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Probably want to get away from the typical trailers and maybe look at the fiberglass clamshell designs; Bigfoot, Oliver, and the several other smaller ones.

The ones built in the west suffer the same issues too, but I would still consider them. Lance is high on my list. Northwood & Outdoor RV build them stout at least.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

lhenry8113

Cypress or Lake Arrowhead, Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/08/19 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Northwood Mfg. in La Grande, Or. makes Arctic Fox, Nash, Etc. We have owned 2 A.F. fifth wheels and loved them. They are heavier and a bit on the pricy side but well built for either going down the paved highway or off road boondocking.

04 F250,CC, 4x4, Dsl., LgBd, XLT, SuperDuty, Cmpr Pkg, Off Rd Pkg

07 Arctic Fox 29 5T
Toad Riv B.C.
17 Chev/CLS C F.R. Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

romore

Okanagan valley British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/19 01:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have to be reasonable with our expectations. They have to be relatively light weight to be driveable and keep costs within reason yet are subjected to a lot of stresses an s&b never sees. Some are built better than others but none are bulletproof so maintenance becomes key.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/19 01:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

crasster wrote:

Many dealers that push the "junk" out of Indiana factories can have customers leave their unit from 4-5 months to administer the warranty fix...

As long as we keep buying junk, they will keep building junk.

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/19 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4 trailers all different manufacturers.....and as you have found out, they were all pretty much the same....slammed together - lots of quality and fit/finish issues. (but we had a good time in all of them).

We how have an Arctic Fox for the last 3 years. The story is much different.
Better quality and much more attention to detail. Built in Northern Oregon.

Little touches like solid wood blocks inside the aluminum framing at every place where screws are going to be driven..

Down side is that they are heavier and are expensive.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/19 05:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last Saturday I traded my 2013 Fox Mountain in on a 2019 Outdoors Rv Timber Ridge 25RDS. I looked a Forest River and KZ. Glanced at Lance and Keystone.
Lance is IMO overpriced. Didn't see anything that was special in the other brands. Didn't like the floor plans in the Lance.
We've been going over things in the driveway before a short trip this coming weekend and there's nothing that stands out as cheaply put together. Yes there's a couple blemishes here and there. Purely cosmetic. Some uncleaned silicone caulking on a couple counters and some nasty paint runs on the tongue. All cabinets are aligned. It also had almost no debris anywhere. A quick wipe down of the inside of the cabinets with some Endust was all that was needed.
Even the Sat coaxial was routed correctly.
Overall we're very impressed with the initial quality.
We had very few issues in the 6 years that we owned out Northwood Fox Mountain so that was pretty much the reason we went with ORV.

Things that drew us to the ORV vs the others were the 16" GY Endurance E rated tires, CRE3000, Morryde greasable shackles, shocks, dual pane windows, in house built frame with gussets above all spring hangers, 5" crowned roof side to side, not tapered down at the sides, 3 max air fans with two having remotes, huge dinette thats very comfortable, long awning with a retractable cover, super stout rear ladder, 2" receiver hitch, along with other nice touches.

rvshrinker

Beautiful Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/19 11:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

super happy with outdoors rv, almost two years with no problems. we researched for four years before pulling the trigger, wanted something durable and we were willing to pay more for it.

tragusa3

upstate south carolina

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/19 04:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were reasonably pleased with Forest River Surveyor. A mid-tier product, so price stayed towards the lower side while quality was above many. 3 years and many miles with no problems.

New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> What brands of Travel Trailers are NEW & Quality
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS