cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What brands of Travel Trailers are NEW & Quality

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pretty much I've come to the conclusion ANY RV travel trailer coming out of Northern Indiana are not of good quality. On youtube there are brands such as Jayco that they build in 6+ hours. Real thin wood, small screws, etc. There are countless issues coming in to dealerships about sub par mfg of many travel trailers.

Many of the workers are paid by piece (not by hour) and literally RUN as fast as they can all day to crank out as many units as possible for maximum $.

It's just REALLY gone sub par.

The brands I've noticed are pretty much anything owned by Forest River, Jayco, KZ etc. etc. This includes a PLETHORA of smaller brands. Also most brands produced by thor, except for Airstream because I think Airstream customers would probably have a revolt. LOL

Many dealers that push the "junk" out of Indiana factories can have customers leave their unit from 4-5 months to administer the warranty fix... It doesn't take long to realize the warranty period is being used up in this time frame, the customer loses the use of the RV, and the RV is getting older.

So what brands of Travel Trailers today have REAL quality?

Preferably Aluminum wall (studs). Built well. Doesn't have to be "light". Just something that can last and not have problems for the most part.

Thanks!
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.
53 REPLIES 53

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:

A few words from here we imported the grand total of 60 US RV's into Australia. About 500 from Europe and 10,000 from China last year on top of 25,000 locally made ones
So in comparison US quality is pretty bad

Robert, I've seen you post your opinion that Chinese RVs are trash, complete with pics of abandoned shells that were left where they broke down. So if import numbers are to be used as a gauge of quality, does that mean the Euro products are worse than the Chinese offerings, but better than US made RVs?
Curious too if the US imports were something on the upper end, like say an Airstream or a Northwood product, or were they entry lever Forest River trailers?

Ironically Yes and I do not like the Chinese. They do Off Road Caravans, campertrailers but Australians design and distribute them.
US pfoducts are a mixture, of very cheap Travel Trailers,TC's, some 5th Wheelers high end Toyhaulers Tiffin 30ft Motorhomes maybe an Airstream
500 European Caravans are driven by nostalgia by European expats mainly, European Manufacturer Baily has ztopped building their Australianized Caravans here
They are converting RAM and Silverado vehicles here primarily as lifestyle, advertising or tow vehicles. Vehicles have to be remanufactured to RHD
US Pickups ceased to be sold here in 2006 from the Ford dealerships, they were used as work vehicles then

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
GDS-3950BH wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:

A few words from here we imported the grand total of 60 US RV's into Australia. About 500 from Europe and 10,000 from China last year on top of 25,000 locally made ones

I've bought and accumulated a lot of things over the years, but can honestly say I have never seen anything with a stamp that said "Made in Australia". I am sure everything there is A#1 100% high quality in spite of the rules of economics.

The US RV Industry has a hard time keeping up with demand in North America, they have no need to export product to a minuscule market 9500 miles away that supports sales of 35,560 units yearly. You can be sure it has been researched to no end by US manufacturers, and found to not make any economic sense no matter what the quality level is.

Saying US quality is bad as a general rule based on sales of RV's in or imports to Austrailia is like saying anything made in Austrailia is pretty bad quality because they don't export anything to Latvia or Iceland.

No they have a reputation for poor quality, hence tiny salesm Australian Product you maybe aware of in the RV lifestyle? RESMED Sleep Apnea machine

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
RobertRyan wrote:

Robert, I've seen you post your opinion that Chinese RVs are trash, complete with pics of abandoned shells that were left where they broke down. So if import numbers are to be used as a gauge of quality, does that mean the Euro products are worse than the Chinese offerings, but better than US made RVs?
Curious too if the US imports were something on the upper end, like say an Airstream or a Northwood product, or were they entry lever Forest River trailers?
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
RobertRyan wrote:

I've bought and accumulated a lot of things over the years, but can honestly say I have never seen anything with a stamp that said "Made in Australia". I am sure everything there is A#1 100% high quality in spite of the rules of economics.

The US RV Industry has a hard time keeping up with demand in North America, they have no need to export product to a minuscule market 9500 miles away that supports sales of 35,560 units yearly. You can be sure it has been researched to no end by US manufacturers, and found to not make any economic sense no matter what the quality level is.

Saying US quality is bad as a general rule based on sales of RV's in or imports to Austrailia is like saying anything made in Austrailia is pretty bad quality because they don't export anything to Latvia or Iceland.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
wireman wrote:
gbopp wrote:
crasster wrote:
Many dealers that push the "junk" out of Indiana factories can have customers leave their unit from 4-5 months to administer the warranty fix...

As long as we keep buying junk, they will keep building junk.

Exactly. The American auto industry of the 70's is where the RV manufacturers still exist.

For the most part American built cars are much better than the junk they use to build.

Most RV builders have done a 180 and build worse quality than the 70's. Always exceptions of course.

Read their brochures and you would think everything is gold plated.

Point blank, they just don't care.

Slowmover
Explorer
Explorer
jdtrotter wrote:
Just read this entire thread and I see several votes for the ORV/Northwood trailers made in Oregon. After a totally horrible experience with a Forest River R-pod, we did a lot of research. Our son guided us toward the ORV and we would have bought one, but the smallest one they make was bigger than we wanted, and we definitely did not want a slide. Thus, we turned to other company started by Ron Nash, RIP, Northwood RV. The Nash 17k seemed perfect for us, so we found a dealer 200 miles away who had one, and we bought it!

We had no plans of camping in winter weather, but an unexpected medical problem has us camping for 2 months away from home in winter weather and we are mostly glad we have this trailer. It is so well insulated and built so that the propane heater keeps the holding tanks warm enough. We bought a blue heated hose and added extra wrapping to the connection and the small faucet and so far, all is well. The quality of everything is so superior to what we had before!

But we do have a couple of problems with the wiring that should not have happened and we will get them fixed after we leave here. We need to either find a good dealer somewhere, or we will go back to the factory. In our small town, our local RV repair people could not find the problem. When the heater turns on, it blows out the little fuse in the digital thermostat. Since we had to have heat, and needed in NOW, they pulled the two heater wires out of the digital thermostat and attached them to an old analog thermostat. It works. We also have to run the cable TV through the kitchen window. These things WILL be fixed under warranty and meantime, we LOVE the full size queen bed with a great mattress. 🙂

For a small trailer, it is heavy, but it follows well behind our Tundra even while it sucks gas.

Overall, we recommend a Northwood product and our son has been extremely happy with his ORV.

BTW-- many years ago we owned a fiberglass Casita and it was trouble free. We took it across country and way down into Mexico and more. If they only made one a bit bigger, we would have bought another one without hesitation.

Oliver & Big Foot.

I don’t understand the desire for “new” when older can be found that is distinctly better. And always will be.

No one is any longer making trailers the quality of Streamline (1974), Silver Streak (1997) or Avion (1990). Airstream ain’t in the running at this level and never was. Never meant to be. SS never made more than six trailers per week. AS is General Motors by comparison.

That said, an AS ten years or a bit more has depreciation gone. And may need only some cosmetics to be like new. Plenty of them out there. Huge owners group. Tow beautifully.

Mine’s thirty years old this year. I’ll put it against anything from the generic box manufacturers that’s five years old. As the 1989 boxes hit the landfill before Obama took office.

If I were in the market for brand new, a BIGGER Big Foot would be my default. But they don’t make one a full-timer like me wants. Lacks size, amenities & storage (that the aluminum trailers don’t).

ORV is okay enough. But they all need conversion to DEXTER Tor-Flex independent suspension. Today’s trailers with slide-outs for fatties ride FAR higher on ready-to-roll leaf spring suspensions that wear out quickly.

Conversion to anti-lock disc brakes is the other upgrade.

And, as the hitch rigging is EQUAL in importance to the two vehicles, get a aHensley-patent hitch at the start. It’s a requirement for a pickup as tow vehicle.

That disc brakes & a sway-eliminating hitch aren’t topics with FAR more threads than tow vehicles shows the ignorance level of supposedly “seasoned” RVers. The new guys with their twenty years.

The he number one cause of trailering accidents is loss of control. And that loss of control is due to wind. The worst combo on the road is the tall teeter-totter box of today. (5ers worse; toyhaulers worst).

Pay attention to what really matters: Steering control & braking.

1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE RAM 2WD 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 11-cpm solo, 17-cpm towing fuel cost

Jayco254
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not even going to comment on my Jayco, it just seems that the best part of it is it's paid for.
Tom, Kathy, Nikki, & Kelly
Pets: Lady - Texas Heeler, Dinger - Rhodesian Riidgeback Mix
2008 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 5.4 ci 3.73 gears
2008 Dodge Ram SLT Big Horn 4x4 5.7L Hemi 3.92 gears
2007 Jayco Jayfeather EXP 254
Husky W/D, P-3

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
I just went through a big snowstorm in my Nash 22h. I cannot say enough good things about that trailer. I stayed warm and comfy, and used surprisingly little propane. It's been trouble free so far.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

jdtrotter
Explorer
Explorer
Just read this entire thread and I see several votes for the ORV/Northwood trailers made in Oregon. After a totally horrible experience with a Forest River R-pod, we did a lot of research. Our son guided us toward the ORV and we would have bought one, but the smallest one they make was bigger than we wanted, and we definitely did not want a slide. Thus, we turned to other company started by Ron Nash, RIP, Northwood RV. The Nash 17k seemed perfect for us, so we found a dealer 200 miles away who had one, and we bought it!

We had no plans of camping in winter weather, but an unexpected medical problem has us camping for 2 months away from home in winter weather and we are mostly glad we have this trailer. It is so well insulated and built so that the propane heater keeps the holding tanks warm enough. We bought a blue heated hose and added extra wrapping to the connection and the small faucet and so far, all is well. The quality of everything is so superior to what we had before!

But we do have a couple of problems with the wiring that should not have happened and we will get them fixed after we leave here. We need to either find a good dealer somewhere, or we will go back to the factory. In our small town, our local RV repair people could not find the problem. When the heater turns on, it blows out the little fuse in the digital thermostat. Since we had to have heat, and needed in NOW, they pulled the two heater wires out of the digital thermostat and attached them to an old analog thermostat. It works. We also have to run the cable TV through the kitchen window. These things WILL be fixed under warranty and meantime, we LOVE the full size queen bed with a great mattress. 🙂

For a small trailer, it is heavy, but it follows well behind our Tundra even while it sucks gas.

Overall, we recommend a Northwood product and our son has been extremely happy with his ORV.

BTW-- many years ago we owned a fiberglass Casita and it was trouble free. We took it across country and way down into Mexico and more. If they only made one a bit bigger, we would have bought another one without hesitation.

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Two years in we've been very happy with our ORV. No repairs needed. Seams holding up well. Love the size of the grey and fresh tanks and with 2 6v batteries and two 30# propane tanks we can boondocks for days. And take the rough dirt road to get there.

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm in the Northwood/ORV camp. If I was going to upgrade from my little CreekSide, I would first look to ORV, then Northwood. If for one reason or another I didn't find what I like I'd look to Lance. My Brother has a Lance and it is a beautifully finished rig with lots of standard bells and whistles. I do think Northwood/ORV is a tougher rig when it comes to bombing off the road. I've also heard of Lance frames/rigs starting to sag at the slide due to Lance's frame being of lighter material than the I-Beam/H-Beam material that Northwood uses to construct their frames. Regarding Lance, I think this is related to how long the coach is and where the slide is in relationship to the axles. One thing to recognize for sure: A Factory can put all the right stuff and plans out there on the assembly line and have all the right inspectors and QA/QC checks in place and all it takes is one person in that mix to have a bad day, miss something, or..........just be a sucky employee that has not been vetted to cause us a problem with an otherwise well designed coach.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
myredracer wrote:
AFAIK, OutdoorsRV (and the other Northwood brands) are only available in the west which is unfortunate. One feature I really like in them is that none have a Lippert frame and they build their own heavy duty, off-road certified frame which includes shocks. They put a lot of thought into various things that count. Not problem free, but much higher quality compared to the usual **** built in Indiana.

Video tour at ORV which starts with the frames

People come from all over the country to buy from Thompson RV which is the closest dealer to the factory. They pick up their own rigs from the factory, so there's no "delivery / destination fee (costs)" like all other dealers may have.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

GT928
Explorer
Explorer
grubbster wrote:
This trend is happening across most purchased goods. It's not unique to the RV industry. It's our disposable culture.
For RV quality I have been very happy with my NuCamp T@B. They are not cheap but quality and cheap almost never go together. The designs are well thought out and they use quality components including custom made baltic birch cabinets which are very solid. None of this quarter inch luan ply **** they use in most campers now.
They are also coming out with a larger trailer soon that looks to rival Airstream in quality called the Avia. There are some tour videos on Youtube. Look them up.

I got to tour the Avia at the RV show in Atlanta last weekend. It was stunning. 28' and 5000 lbs dry. A lot of aluminum and azdel panels. It's design and quality are way above that of the competition. So is the price. Approx. $60,000. It would be worth it to me, but I already have a Euro styled lightweight trailer, Earthbound Golden Ridge. It is 29' and 4735 dry and we tow it with our Jeep Grand Cherokee. Apparently I am drawn to innovation and good design. Take look at the Avia if you get the chance. Southland RV in Atlanta is apparently the dealer here.
2011 Earthbound Golden Ridge
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
North Georgia

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
rbpru wrote:
In spite of all the whinging and complaints, the only thing I can figure is, the construction practices and rework levels on an RV are satisfactory for the market.

We expect phones, television's, computers, monitors and other cheap, off shore, electronic products to work first time and every times. Not so our RVs.

Go figure.

To me it comes down to price.
I don't know about electronics lifespan but on ebay you can buy pallets of new television's that are non-functional. I know several people who have had issues with their phone and simply replace them or upgrade offten. My last washing machine went out after 8 years of use (plastic gears). My last high end HP laptop the mother board failed after just a few years, cost more to fix then replace. Good friend is on his 3rd Sony lcd tv, was told average lifespan was 8 years. Another friend was already having to replace their Blu Ray DVD player. Look at all the posts about the even cheaper RV electronics that go out or fail without making it out of the 1 year warranty.

I personally think a lot of the stuff we buy is garbage and we have become a throw away Society. I think planned obsolescence is alive and well.

Absolutely. If I had kept all the stuff that just quit working over the last ten years, I could fill my shop top to bottom.
On the other hand, I have a shop full of tools that I will be able to pass on. Mostly Dewalt, older Porter Cable and Craftsmen.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch