cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for info on Pecos River High Bridge, Texas

pigfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
If anyone knows anything about the pullout for viewing the Pecos High Bridge it would be deeply appreciated. We will be coming from the west heading east to Del Rio. We don't want to miss the view from the pullout and need to know what side (east or west on Hwy 90) is the pullout. Is there room for a 40'MH towing a Jeep to park? Thank you.
12 REPLIES 12

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Probably safe in the more isolated areas where the rugged terrain apparently discourages travelling long distances on foot. I'm thinking border crossers are looking to be picked up on a highway as close as possible to the border. I would be carefull from DelRio down to Brownsville though. That's based on my experience living in Laredo and working an oilfield on a large isolated ranch near the border for a year.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
The border problems are overblown as far as Texas goes. Most Mexicans just drive over.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

pigfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Y'all did a fantastic job in answering my questions about the high bridge. I know whenever I have a problem that someone will help me right away. This forum is great! I've been on it for 17 years and have had so many questions answered. Thanks again!!!

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
one_strange_texan wrote:
rk911 wrote:
wolfe10 wrote:
...Seminole Canyon also has a nice CG.

it very much looks like a nice CG but being that close to the southern border and given the situation along that border I’m wondering just how safe that CG is from 2-legged coyotes and other similar predators. can anyone who resides in, frequents or drives thru that general area provide information on safety?

The proximity to the border is not an issue in my mind. The border is formed there by the Rio Grande, which is dammed and a lake (Amistad) there, and is contained in a fairly deep canyon. People are not crossing the border at that particular point. Not to mention that it is a fairly unpopulated area.

thanks to all who responded to my query. we felt very safe while camping at big bend a few years ago but we’re cautioned to report any suspicious activity. the fact that it is an uninhabited area would seem to make it an ideal place to cross. but i tend to have a suspicious mind (35-yrs working public safety communications).

thanks again.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
wolfe10 wrote:

it very much looks like a nice CG but being that close to the southern border and given the situation along that border I’m wondering just how safe that CG is from 2-legged coyotes and other similar predators. can anyone who resides in, frequents or drives thru that general area provide information on safety?

The proximity to the border is not an issue in my mind. The border is formed there by the Rio Grande, which is dammed and a lake (Amistad) there, and is contained in a fairly deep canyon. People are not crossing the border at that particular point. Not to mention that it is a fairly unpopulated area.
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty much every place from Big Bend National Park to Amistad Lake is safe. This stretch is very remote from the Mexican side.
Currently Between RVs

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
It is safe. I would tell you to be careful if you were going to Odessa.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:

Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Your question is a little more complex than you think. If you will go to googlemaps.com and drill down to the Pecos River Bridge, just a little to the east of Langtry on Hwy 90. You will see, in the satellite view:
A nice parking area at the east end of the bridge on the north side that will let you view the river from the east abutment of the bridge. You can easily turn your rig around there.
If you travel a little more to the east you will find a turn off on the south side that will lead you to a high rest area that overlooks the bridge and the river.
If you go a little futher east you will reach Seminole Canyon State Park that has a walk down into the canyon where you can see pictographs.
Currently Between RVs

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Google map satellite view:

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.707549,-101.350129,632m/data=!3m1!1e3

Yes, on east side of bridge. Rest area to south and small pull off on the north side of the road.

Judge Roy Bean's "Law west of the Pecos" visitor center in Lantry (free) is worth a visit-- plenty of parking.

As is Seminole Canyon SP a little further east on U.S. 90. Depending on day, they run tours down into the canyon to see 1000+ year old indian cave paintings: https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/seminole-canyon

Seminole Canyon also has a nice CG.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
The pull off is on the south side of the road just past the bridge heading east. The road does a complete 180 after turning off but should be okay. The rest area has plenty of space to park and has a couple of covered picnic tables.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
foud this online.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK