cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stone protection for tow vehicle

jonlin
Explorer
Explorer
What is recommended to protect tow vehicle from getting chipped paint? Rock guards or car bra?
8 REPLIES 8

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
I received notification of a new post and clicked on the link. It appeared to be a new topic with only one response. I added my comment thinking I hadn't replied to it before. After posting my reply and editing it a couple of times, all of sudden I had the full message string with all the responses. Seeing that I'd already said what I was going to post today, I deleted it and left the comment you're seem to be upset with. Now you have the full story and I'm stick'n to it.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
DFord wrote:
--- RV.net seems to be acting up this morning ---

And that has something to do with the subject at hand?

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
--- RV.net seems to be acting up this morning ---
Don Ford
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles

Fisherman1964
Explorer
Explorer
We have been using the Protect-a-Tow and love it. The protection it provides along with ease of use and compact storage is better than anything we have ever used. Our coach came with a heavy duty mudflap on the back but that seemed to cause more damage to the toad but after adding the Protect-a-Tow no more dings on the paint or windshield. Keeps my camera way cleaner too. Best of all it won't break the bank as it is very reasonably priced. We ordered direct from their website at the time but I've noticed that it is now also available on Amazon.

Lancslad
Explorer
Explorer
Get rid of the vanity flap, we have the "Hula" skirt, no chips in 30K miles.
2011 FR Georgetown 337DS
2003 Dodge Dakota Towed

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
The bras are a PITA. You need to clean the vehicle before putting the bra on or the grime will scratch your paint. I tried one and soon got tired of that routine.

If you've got a mudflap, make sure it's 4-5 inches off the ground on level pavement. If you've ever driven close behind a big truck, you know it picks up all sorts of debris as it's going down the road. The cars behind get plastered. The same thing happens behind your MH.

The guards that stand upright on the towbar are a pain to deal with and some are pretty heavy.

Take a look at Protect-A-Tow http://protectatow.tripod.com/

It's easy and quick to put on and take off. Rolls up and fits in a small bag about 4" by 3' for storage. Because I've got a tail dragger, I put it on top of the towbar to keep from putting any more holes in it.
Don Ford

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
jonlin wrote:
What is recommended to protect tow vehicle from getting chipped paint? Rock guards or car bra?

We removed the big flap on the coach..that stopped the blowing stones.

We did as well. Makes a huge difference.
With the flap on, the track on our Overbilt lift used to be full of gravel, hence, a lot of rocks getting kicked up. Since we removed the mud flap ( vanity flap ), havenโ€™t had a one.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
jonlin wrote:

We removed the big flap on the coach..that stopped the blowing stones.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.