cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing

lucy6194
Explorer
Explorer
Considering trading 5th wheel for class "c". Husband who does almost all driving and all backing up is in poor health. I have tried repeatedly to back up but just can't do it. Any way,will need a toad for c. Suggestions please. Would prefer 4 down but could consider tow dolly. We have 2002 z3 with standard transmission that could be towed 2 wheels down but? What cars years would you recommend. Will most likely be me camping alone cape cod to key West for winter and shorter trips in spring. Looking at coachman leprechaun260.
6 REPLIES 6

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
A motor home is much easier to back into a site than any trailer even if it's bigger. The vehicles which can be 4-wheel towed with an auto trans. is shrinking fast. Even some manuals can't be. Trailer Life puts out a towing guide I think annually and you can start there. But the final authority is the vehicles owner's manual, under a "towing behind a motor home" section. based on my son having a dolly then 4-wheel towing, I would not recommend a dolly. However, none of it is easy. Lots of little things can effect the ease of hooking up the towed car and the auxillary brake hook-up is a multi-step process.
Jayco-noslide

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
Remember can't back up a 4-down Toad.

JM2ยข ~~ YMMV

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
If looking for new 4 down toad (with automatic) the number of choices is getting smaller. If you are interested in the used market, and older Honda CRV is a good choice. I had a 2013 Chevy Sonic auto that was great as a toad. Currently Iโ€™m towing a 2015 Jeep Wrangler. Very easy to tow. As you may be doing a solo thing, I assume the easier the better, so forget a tow dolly.

You will need a tow bar and braking system. There is nothing easier ( IMO ) than the ReadyBrute Elite System.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

wrktfsh
Explorer
Explorer
Get a backup cam for your Class C. You can get them online for under 100 bucks. Itโ€™s a game changer when backing to a hitch

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
This is the wrong section for your post. You should notify moderator, to have it moved to the dingy section.

Jerry