cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Streaming movies and jet packs and phones

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
I am currently full timing. I have verizon and i want to strem movies on my tv which includes a apple tv.

Do i keep my current phone and sign up for unlimited and use it as a hot spot
Do I buy an jet pack thats unlimited
Do I do both unlimited phone plan and unlimited jet pack

Thanks
9 REPLIES 9

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
imgoin4it wrote:
Donโ€™t know how well their coverage is, but went with T Mobile about a year ago. Havenโ€™t traveled much since due to health. T Mobile has / had a plan at that time for seniors. Two phones for $30 per line. Includes everything no additional fees tax or anything. Also includes unlimited data including the hot spot feature. They were open about reducing the speed after a certain amount of data. However for an additional $10 per month per phone they will not slow it. Paid the additional $10 for one phone. So far love it. Just do not have much experience on area of coverage

The 55+ plan from T-Mobile is an excellent plan but the base fee (now $70/month instead of $60) includes unlimited 4G service on the phone and unlimited hot spot usage but only at 3G. The $15 add-on for 1 line will add 20GB of 4G hotspot data to that 1 phone or $20 for the 2 lines gives 20GB for each phone.

Still a very good plan but we ran into some service issues in CA where AT&T and Verizon worked but T-Mobile did not.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

timjet
Explorer
Explorer
Verizon's prepaid unlimited plan is really unlimited. But there's a catch. You will always be on a lower priority when accessing a cell tower. According to Mobile Internet Resource Center, unless you are accessing in a urban area with few cell towers you may/probably won't notice.
If I were looking for a mobile internet provider I would go with this plan.
Tampa Bay
'07 American Tradition Cummins ISL
'14 Honda CRV

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Some of this depends on where you camp !

The big benefit of a "jetpack" (note the quotes) is that good ones can use EXTERNAL antennas, even if that antenna is mounted inside your RV. This will greatly increase your range.

There have been many other discussion on what is the "best" device (a.k.a. mobile hot spot or mifi) to use. Verizon, of course, would like you to buy their JetPack device !

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Donโ€™t know how well their coverage is, but went with T Mobile about a year ago. Havenโ€™t traveled much since due to health. T Mobile has / had a plan at that time for seniors. Two phones for $30 per line. Includes everything no additional fees tax or anything. Also includes unlimited data including the hot spot feature. They were open about reducing the speed after a certain amount of data. However for an additional $10 per month per phone they will not slow it. Paid the additional $10 for one phone. So far love it. Just do not have much experience on area of coverage
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
I apparently camp in more remote places than other people. I rarely am able to have a strong enough signal to stream anything in my RV. Went with satellite years ago. I don't go camping to watch TV but I do like to watch the news while I'm drinking my morning coffee. All I have to do for that is dodge the trees.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Get an unlimited plan and just use the phone hotspot (you may need to leave the phone plugged in).

Only catch is after you hit the throttling limit, you may need to back off the video resolution to avoid a lot of buffering delay.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

2naEagle
Explorer
Explorer
jarata1 wrote:
I am currently full timing. I have verizon and i want to strem movies on my tv which includes a apple tv.

Do i keep my current phone and sign up for unlimited and use it as a hot spot
Do I buy an jet pack thats unlimited
Do I do both unlimited phone plan and unlimited jet pack

Thanks

I'm using the Verizon prepaid unlimited plan. Has beeen working good for us. Some Reading
2020 F350 Limited CCSB SRW
2017 North Point 315RLTS
2021 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Also if you use your phone as a hot spot some plans limit you on hot spot data usage.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
First, those "unlimited" plans are not really unlimited. At some point (15 - 20 GB ?), the data plan may slow down for a couple of reasons.

Second, I full time and stream TV shows/movies maybe once a day. Any more than that would be pushing my data limits. Here's my setup:

• A 40 GB "New Verizon Plan" from 2016. This is not unlimited, but my 40 GB is always full speed until it's used up. Plus, I get carryover data & it's usable in Canada & Mexico.

• AT&T Mobley: for all practical purposes, an unlimited data plan for $60/mon.

• HughesNET Gen 5 satellite internet dish with a 50 GB/mon plan. When cell data is not an option.

To answer your qs, I suggest, read the small print on those "unlimited" plans to see how they're capped or when they "throttle" the speed. Also, become a member of www.rvmobileinternet.com.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs