cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fresh water tank

Danford50
Explorer
Explorer
while connect to city water connection at the rv park I noticed that my fresh water tank was filling up and it start to run over, I call good sam tech support and they told me it was the water pump, he instructed me to let out some of the water in the tank, then he said if the tank filled back up it then your water pump it need to be replace. well I done as he said but the tank never filled back up, so now I am wondering if the pump is bad.
17 REPLIES 17

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had this problem once. What I did was disconnect the city water, turn on the pump, run the house water for a second or two, turn off the pump, open a faucet to relieve the house water pressure, then attach the city water again. Hasn`t happened since. I don't know how these valves work but I suspect there was a speck of something stuck in the system which was flushed away.. now before I hookup the city water, I make sure the pump is off then relieve the house water pressure.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

lam
Explorer
Explorer
I have had this problem with Anderson kantleak valve and there are numerous posts for years about this happening. Not the pump in my opinion. I even put new pump in. Anderson did a new valve last year supposed to fix this issue. I installed it last summer after paying Anderson for new valve. Worked last summer but out one week now and it’s doing the same thing. There must be a competitor with a valve that works?

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
There are only 2 ways for city water to find it's way into the fresh water tank:

1. The built-in check valve inside the water pump could be leaking; sometimes simply running the pump a bit will clear what ever tiny bit of debris was causing the issue. If it continues, they can usually be rebuilt.

2. The City Water Tank Fill Valve is leaking. Sometimes opening & closing the valve several times, solves the problem, sometimes the valve handle has slipped and is no longer turning the inside valve all the way. Of course, this can only occur if you actually HAVE a valve that allows freshwater tank filling from the city water hookup. If not, then ONLY #1 applies.

A leaking check valve at the city water hookup will NOT leak into the freshwater tank; it will leak water outside of the RV when you are running the pump and there is no hose hooked up.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
" +1.
We have a pump, and aren't afraid to use it. "

Me too. Its actually a good idea and good habit to get into in case the campground water takes a nose dive for whatever reason. I have had CG water lines break and had to wait a day for someone to repair the line.
Having a full tank of on-board water off my water pump will give me water.
I also carry along a spare pump. Been stuck 2x in the middle of the woods with a downed pump.

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
AJR wrote:
I do not use the city water connection. I understand as the water comes in from it there is a check valve. If the pump is turned on and the water pressure goes below 40lbs it will turn on.

If you were filling the tank while on city water. Some valve in the pump was not doing what is should do. That is, prevent water going through the pump into the water tank. Who knows, it could have had something holding a valve open.

If the pump works normal without city water I would not worry about it.

I know nothing about drain taps mentioned above.

+1.
We have a pump, and aren't afraid to use it.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
I do not use the city water connection. I understand as the water comes in from it there is a check valve. If the pump is turned on and the water pressure goes below 40lbs it will turn on.

If you were filling the tank while on city water. Some valve in the pump was not doing what is should do. That is, prevent water going through the pump into the water tank. Who knows, it could have had something holding a valve open.

If the pump works normal without city water I would not worry about it.

I know nothing about drain taps mentioned above.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
Danford50 wrote:
thanks everyones what do I need to check for in order to fix my problem

If it happens again turn off city water. turn on pump and run some water. turn off water. repeat. turn off the pump and return to city water, do not run the pump while on city water. If problem persists install an inline check valve. The pump can be easily taken apart and cleaned.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, it was likely correct info from the tech. Inside many water pumps is a check valve that prevents city water running backwards through the pump and into FW tank. If valve is bad, it doesn’t mean pump won’t pump water.
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
My rig has two drain taps in line. If the one inline before the final drain tap is open my fresh water tank will fill up from the city water that is turned on.

Danford50
Explorer
Explorer
thanks everyones what do I need to check for in order to fix my problem

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
Our motorhome only has one check valve on the city water in line into the main supply line, there is no check valve after or before the water pump. Ours relies on the check valves inside the water pump to stop the city water pump from back-feeding into the fresh water tank, I have installed a gate valve at the bottom of the fresh water tank though so that I can clean out the water pump pre-screen without dumping the fresh water tank or flooding the rv. I would check the line between the tank and the pump, and the pump and the main water line of the motorhome

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
that tech just lost his job at mcdonalds on fri,and is now a major tech for CW.remember this when you need your rv worked on.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Agreeing with everyone else, bad tech, not a bad pump, sounds like he's more interested in Camping World selling you a new pump, and "Oh yah, while we were replacing the pump, we found a faulty check valve in the city water fill". :R
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree bad tech advice. Check valve is sticking. Cheap and easy to replace, go to 'youtube' for a how-to demo.
or as Ed Gee suggests at the city inlet.
Could be either or .
check valve is on the inlet side of the water pump .