Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

NY - Dutchess/Columbia county residents

scootsk
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hi all

I'm bringing a new fifth wheel to our campground on Saturday. I'm concerned about the Taconic parkway underpass at Jackson Corners Road in Elizaville, does anybody know the height of that underpass? Would a 13.5' FW fit under it?
Don, Kathleen
2014 Ram 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 Dually 6.7 CTD/AISIN
2019 Montana 3791 Fifth Wheel
14 REPLIES 14

NY_RVer
Explorer
Explorer
scootsk wrote:
NY RVer wrote:
scootsk, did you pick up your trailer yesterday?

Yes. Sitting proud on her site. Drove to the overpass on Friday with my Giraffe G4. The overpass is 16โ€™ plus.

Nice! Congratulations, good luck, and enjoy!
2016 Ram 3500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7 Cummins
2014 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE
Reese Dual Cam

scootsk
Explorer III
Explorer III
NY RVer wrote:

Yes. Sitting proud on her site. Drove to the overpass on Friday with my Giraffe G4. The overpass is 16โ€™ plus.
Don, Kathleen

NY_RVer
Explorer
Explorer
Reese Dual Cam

mkc
Explorer
Explorer
scootsk wrote:
Iโ€™m a seasonal in Copake.

Small world! That's where we stay when we visit family in Amenia and Purdys, plus a good friend from high school is also a seasonal there!
2017 LTV Unity

scootsk
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes. Jackson corners to e Kelley corners to rte 9 to 199 and over the bridge. The overpass is our only issue for that route. Saves a lot of time too.
Don, Kathleen

NY_RVer
Explorer
Explorer
Planning on being up that way on Sunday, as we have a place in Ancramdale, but if I can go by before that, I will check it out and let you know. So you plan on working your way over to Rt 199 and over the bridge to Kingston, correct?
Reese Dual Cam

TomC1216
Explorer
Explorer
You might also find this helpful: https://member.coach-net.com/members/pdfs/LowClearanceBridgeInfo.pdf
Tom & Mary
2018 Ford F250 6.7L Diesel Platinum
2011 Open Range 337RLS 5th Wheel

scootsk
Explorer III
Explorer III
Iโ€™m a seasonal in Copake. When I travel I leave from there. What a joy not to deal with the city. Iโ€™m bringing my old 5th wheel to camping world and returning with the new one. I went under the overpass on Monday morning and in the dark it seemed very high. Iโ€™ve towed a TT for a friend taking that route but itโ€™s was not even close to 13โ€™4โ€.
Don, Kathleen

NY_RVer
Explorer
Explorer
Where are you coming from? I see LI in your signature, but is that where your coming from and traveling East to West? Just wanted to try and help you out to possibly avoid it if I could.
Reese Dual Cam

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Could always call local DOT and ask for engineering with your question/dilemma.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

scootsk
Explorer III
Explorer III
mkc wrote:
David_and_Chris wrote:
I would not bring my fifth wheel on the Taconic. I believe it is limited to passenger vehicles

That is correct. Passenger cars and light trucks only. Many clearances are very low.

scootsk wrote:
Sorry David, maybe I wasn't clear, I'm driving on Jackson Corners Road and going under the Taconic. I was curious of the clearance for that underpass.

Google StreetView doesn't show any clearance signs on the underpass itself (sometimes a good way to check). Is Route 2 (Jackson Corners Rd) shown on a Trucker's Atlas as a truck route? If so, you should be OK.

Actually went under it yesterday at 4:00 am. Looked high enough but I donโ€™t want to find out the hard way. I actually did the whole route on google maps street view on Sunday. But I just wanted reinforcement for piece of mind.

Itโ€™s also my understanding that in New York that all bridges under 14โ€™ must be marked. So am I to assume that it is 14โ€™ or over?
Don, Kathleen

mkc
Explorer
Explorer
David_and_Chris wrote:
I would not bring my fifth wheel on the Taconic. I believe it is limited to passenger vehicles

That is correct. Passenger cars and light trucks only. Many clearances are very low.

scootsk wrote:
Sorry David, maybe I wasn't clear, I'm driving on Jackson Corners Road and going under the Taconic. I was curious of the clearance for that underpass.

Google StreetView doesn't show any clearance signs on the underpass itself (sometimes a good way to check). Is Route 2 (Jackson Corners Rd) shown on a Trucker's Atlas as a truck route? If so, you should be OK.
2017 LTV Unity

scootsk
Explorer III
Explorer III
David_and_Chris wrote:
I would not bring my fifth wheel on the Taconic. I believe it is limited to passenger vehicles and some of the bridge heights are less than 13'. My camper is 13'2".

David

Don, Kathleen

David_and_Chris
Explorer
Explorer
I would not bring my fifth wheel on the Taconic. I believe it is limited to passenger vehicles and some of the bridge heights are less than 13'. My camper is 13'2".

David
David