Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on Truck Campers

smcrea
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi,

We've had a travel trailer for about 10 years and are now considering downsizing as the kids leave home.

We have a 2015 F350 Diesel pickup and are considering getting a camper.

My wife is leaning towards a B class but I am not keen on the idea as we have a perfectly serviceable truck.

After digging around I found out that my wife worry is not being able to get from the camper into the truck cabin and be able to drive off. I understand that this seems strange after having a travel trailer for so many years 🙂

We heard that some truck campers have a window at the front that would allow you to slip from the camper through the rear sliding window into the truck in an emergency.

Question: is this in fact the case?

If so then which truck campers would have this?

Thanks!
56 REPLIES 56

larkyblast
Explorer
Explorer
I love this feature, mostly for dog I guess. I could easily fit through mine. My current camper has it and I like to be able to see inside the camper while driving, mostly to see if the bungee cord holding my fridge in is still intact...
The new northstar Liberty has this and they sell the boot.

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
How does your wife go between the truck and the Trailer. When did this become a concern. Or does she just want to go Up to an A ~ B ~ or C ~~ etc.etc.

Have had 'pass thru' windows before. Ok for pets & kids ~~ no way on God's Green Earth could I wiggle this body thru to the cab. Probably take 'jaws of life' to get me unstuck.

JM2¢ ~~ YMMV

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
In '78 had a inflatable pillow between the 10' 6" truck camper and a 3500 DRW. Finally dumped it as it started squeaking after time and nothing seemed to stop it. Maybe better materials/product today that addresses that problem.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
thedavidzoo wrote:
Bill at TruckCamperWarehouse in NH charged us around $110 for the boot.
Is the clear inflatable boot even thick enough to make a good seal between TC and truck?

The inflatable boots come in 2 sizes, so watch what you are ordering.
The problem I have with it on my F350 is the tilt truck window has, what gives me about 1.5" tilt. Inflatable will not work alone, and pieces of foam fall out with driving motion.
For this season I plan to cut hard foam and use double-sided tape to glue the pieces to truck rear glass.

ggadwa
Explorer
Explorer
When we ordered our 2010 Eagle Cap 950 from the great folks at La Grande Oregon we told them we wanted a pass-through window for Adult or Child use. They installed a nice wide Screened Slider window. Our F350 came ordered without a slider window because the darn slider window option is so very small. We installed an aftermarket Rear Tinted Slider Window and use a Boot between. Wife and grandkid can pass through NO problem. We used to have a cat too and she loved it as well.

Gary
HAM RADIO Operator since 1964 'W7FSI'
EAGLE CAP 2011 950 CUSTOM BUILT by the great folks at LaGrande Oregon
2012 FORD 350 XLT 6.7L Diesel 4x4 Super Cab with lots of stuff

thedavidzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Bill at TruckCamperWarehouse in NH charged us around $110 for the boot.
Is the clear inflatable boot even thick enough to make a good seal between TC and truck?
2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab Diesel DRW 4x4 4.10 Aisin, Torklift Fastguns, Upper Stableloads, Timbrens
2017 Northstar 12' STC
640W solar, 400Ah lithium LiFeMnPO4 batteries

Bedlam
The inflatable ones are about $20, the foam one looks like $220?

http://www.adventurerv.net/lance-truck-camper-pass-thru-foam-boot-2004-ford-p-31471.html

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Truck Camper Warehouse, in NH use to sell them.

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
thedavidzoo wrote:
The black boot is some kind of foam inside. The cover is nicely done vinyl or something with a zipper. Fits well and tight.

We use our pass through mainly for ventilation and for passing through items during a quick stop (lunch, snacks, drinks). We could fit through in an emergency. The limiting factor is the electric rear window on the Ram as it is the smaller of the two.

Thanks, anyone know of an online link to purchase one? I can't find anything except the clear blow up ones.
2022 Ram Laramie 5500 60" CA New pic soon
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath
Sold 2019 Ford F450 King Ranch (was a very nice truck)

thedavidzoo
Explorer
Explorer
The black boot is some kind of foam inside. The cover is nicely done vinyl or something with a zipper. Fits well and tight.

We use our pass through mainly for ventilation and for passing through items during a quick stop (lunch, snacks, drinks). We could fit through in an emergency. The limiting factor is the electric rear window on the Ram as it is the smaller of the two.
2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab Diesel DRW 4x4 4.10 Aisin, Torklift Fastguns, Upper Stableloads, Timbrens
2017 Northstar 12' STC
640W solar, 400Ah lithium LiFeMnPO4 batteries

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
those are some cute little windows....lol, ours is huge.

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

54suds
Explorer
Explorer

we installed for our fur baby its oversized to give better allinment with truck window making it possible for human use in an emergency If desired:), grand son loves it !!! aprox 19x 31
ps have done this on 2 other of my past campers
2021 Chev 6.6 duramax ltz DBL cab,drw,4x/torklift tdn's,
1999 Bigfoot 1011

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
thedavidzoo wrote:
We have this boot between camper and truck. Works great. Bought it from Bill at TruckCamperWarehouse.

Someone else's pic though.

My camper has a gutter on the lower line , what is main problem for using the boots.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
thedavidzoo wrote:
We have this boot between camper and truck. Works great. Bought it from Bill at TruckCamperWarehouse.

What do you do with it?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member