2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
27 REPLIES 27

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep, 5G. The service that will come to the densely populated cities "soon" and the suburbs a few years after that. The distant suburbs as few years later and the places RVers like to go will get 5G somewhere between 10 years and never.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
5G ?.
I'm still waiting for 4K broadcast TV. ๐Ÿ˜ž

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
streaming?

https://www.imdb.com/streaming/
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
OH.. IMDB now has a new ad supported Streaming Movie service. YOu can log in using your GOOGLE, Facebook or other account. No charge.. You get an E-mail to confirm your address.

I registered. but. alas. I have more OTA TV than I can watch so I don't know how much I'll use the streaming service .

IMDB is now streaming? Seems like quite a leap from their core product line. Does Google now own IMDB?

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
The biggest impact I see is cable tv/internet will be made obsolete where authentic 5G is available.

That's likely true. 5g should be wide spread in about 10 years and have true Nationwide coverage (except rural which will never have it) in about 20 years.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
OH.. IMDB now has a new ad supported Streaming Movie service. YOu can log in using your GOOGLE, Facebook or other account. No charge.. You get an E-mail to confirm your address.

I registered. but. alas. I have more OTA TV than I can watch so I don't know how much I'll use the streaming service .
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I'm happy with 4G LTE and don't care to spend $$$ for newer phones.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
The biggest impact I see is cable tv/internet will be made obsolete where authentic 5G is available.

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
They did a study a while back to access the impact of 5G on most people. The results: Not much. Sure you can download a movie in a second or two, but that doesn't mean folks will watch more movies. Sure it will be nice to have that speed, but the real impact will be more in the commercial area. Military, self driving cars, robotic surgery from a continent away. That kind of stuff.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
All I want to have is decent cell service that works.... who cares what G it is. Millions don't even have reliable service right now.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
vermilye wrote:
My AT&T iPhone 10 showed 5G while visiting the Washington, DC area, but was no faster than normal.

That's because ATT is blatantly lying, and is being sued for it. The only difference on your phone is the 5GE symbol. The E stands for "evolution", which means they'll evolve to it someday, probably not in your area in your lifetime.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I see you didn't bother to read the article that started this thread. 5G is stopped by glass.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
agesilaus wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
Well.... Not to try and predict the future but when Cell PHones first came out they worked best in "Population centers" and poorly if at all in rual districts. tehn the network expanded.. They they went Digital. and again the new phones worked best in population centers at first.. then expanded

Then 2 g
Then 3 G
Then 4 G
Now 5 G
With 2,3 and 4 IT started in the population centers and now....

Well.. Why should 5G be different????

Were 2G thru 4G stopped by a glass door? What about the side of an RV?

Far as I know glass won't stop RF no matter the frequency less it is very special glass (Faraday shielded) Metal will. Fiberglass does not as near as I can tell.

And I throw a LOT of RF around at assorted frequencies.

BUT that said. Been a long, long, long time sine I used 2G or 3 Been 4 for several years and 4LTE for the last few.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have followed a few tech sites and The 5g cell system as it is now ( or soon to be) being rolled out requires many transmitters as itโ€™s range is blocks not miles. It was and is designed for cities and other high density areas but I guess the โ€œtowers โ€œ are small and less noticeable according to one article I read.
5 g isnโ€™t the solution for rural as some think and was never meant to be.
In my opinion until we subsidize rural access it wonโ€™t happen. It just isnโ€™t profitable.
ATT is using 5g evolution as smoke and mirrors because 5 g evolution ( clever name to sound like 5g) to the mass public sounds like they are the latest and greatest. Pure deceptive marketing! But you know what .. it will probably do what they intended.
Bill