Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single axle a SUV?

glenwoodcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
My wife and I were looking to downgrade our 27 RLS trailer to a single axle toy hauler and possibly pulled by a SUV. Bicycles or a canoe would be the largest thing hauled for short weekend getaways.
Any opinions on these small toy haulers?
How do SUVs handle these? I realize you are pulling a giant brick down the road regardless.

Thanks in advance,
Jon
13 REPLIES 13

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
twodownzero wrote:
glenwoodcamping wrote:
Thanks for the fast responses. I currently have a 1/2 ton dodge that is rusting away. Eventually I would be looking for a 4wd V8 such as a Jeep Cherokee. I’ve driven commercial trucks most my life and wouldn’t consider mismatching a tow rig and trailer. Some of you are correct, there is a limited amount of small toy haulers out there.
Please keep the good info coming in.
An example.
http://www.forestriverinc.com/rvs/travel-trailers/salem-fsx/181RT/4580

The Jeep Cherokee never came with a V8.

Thanks Capn Obvious!

Well not everyone is an expert on vehicles.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
twodownzero wrote:
glenwoodcamping wrote:
Thanks for the fast responses. I currently have a 1/2 ton dodge that is rusting away. Eventually I would be looking for a 4wd V8 such as a Jeep Cherokee. I’ve driven commercial trucks most my life and wouldn’t consider mismatching a tow rig and trailer. Some of you are correct, there is a limited amount of small toy haulers out there.
An example.

Thanks Capn Obvious!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Mmaxed wrote:
Wife has a Grand Cherokee. Nice little rig. I would never put even the smallest toy hauler behind it.

Agree with this.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

normal_dave
Explorer
Explorer
IntechRV Explore

Canoe rack on top, bikes inside, easy match even for smaller SUV.
1995 Ford E-150 Club Wagon Chateau Van
2012 Cargo Trailer Conversion Camper/Hauler

Mmaxed
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wife has a Grand Cherokee. Nice little rig. I would never put even the smallest toy hauler behind it.

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
twodownzero wrote:
glenwoodcamping wrote:
An example.

Unless you put the word GRAND in front of it.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
glenwoodcamping wrote:
An example.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Another possibility wolf pup

glenwoodcamping
Explorer
Explorer
An example.

Y-Guy
Lwiddis wrote:
Does anyone make single axle THs?

Yes, limited but there are a few.

The Flagstaff E-Pro E16TH is one.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Y-Guy
Jon so much depends on the SUV itself. The challenge is the tongue weight of the Toy Hauler. There are not a lot single axle toy haulers to pick from. There are some non-toy hauler units that allow you to haul bikes, that might be lighter too.

You need to know what the limits of the SUV are first, that will drive what you look at.

You can find a pretty good list of units by checking out The Complete List of Toy Haulers

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone make single axle THs?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
SUV can cover an awful lot of different vehicles...We had a Subaru Forrester that was considered an "SUV." .....Ford Excursions are also called an SUV.

More detail about your SUV will get much better answers.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro