cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gas prices.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.automotive-fleet.com/330282/gasoline-prices-stabilize-at-2-84-per-gallon

From the article;
"The West Coast is probably seeing the most significant impact based on gas prices increases," Casselano said. "In California, retail prices are over $4 per gallon for unleaded. The states has not seen prices this expensive since 2015. Unplanned and planned maintenance, which has tightened gasoline stock levels, have really driven up gasoline prices in the last few weeks much more than expected."

Can someone explain how a so called shortage drives up prices when the shortage isn't causing gas stations to run out of gas? I haven't heard about any stations rationing. So it's not really a shortage, it's just a decline in production which has zero effect on supply until the supply is less than the demand.
I call BS.
28 REPLIES 28

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:

First long trip in the brand new Jetta TDI, which has a 16 gallon tank, and will carry you 800+ miles. We got up to Toledo, and gas prices had been shooting skyward, but diesel was holding steady. We stopped for fuel, tanked up, and I went in to pay. When I returned, my bride was sitting in the passenger seat with her mouth hanging open. "55.6 miles per gallon, AND it cost us 30 cents a gallon LESS than gasoline!" she crowed.
Unfortunately, we now know that it was also spewing much more pollution out of it's tailpipe than was legally allowed! :B
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
If we were worried about gas prices we wouldn't have bought the vehicles we own, or have the hobbies we have. It is what it is. It'll go up, it'll go down. And I put Premium in my Explorer and commute 40 minutes to work every day so I do feel the hit/benefits to the wallet. But if I was worried about gas prices, I would have bought a little car that gets 50mpg.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
We need an emoticon for "Beating a Dead Horse".
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Also not one person mentioned the us gov. takes more out in taxes then a refiner makes per gallon.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
time2roll wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
Remember when gas was LESS THAN 2.00.. I do.. Remember when it was 4.17 (Average nation wide and over 5.00 in CA) likewise.
Yes about the time minimum wage was $2.65 an hour. Should we go back to that also?

1.999/gallon was about 2016 years ago Minimum wage was same as it is now and has been for over a decade Unless you get tips then it's 2.50 or 2.55 forget which.

4.17 was 2008 as I recall. august.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

GHop
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
Can someone explain how a so called shortage drives up prices when the shortage isn't causing gas stations to run out of gas?

Maybe they mean a shortage of profits, not a shortage of gasoline? ๐Ÿ™‚

You are so correct.
G.H.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
Remember when gas was LESS THAN 2.00.. I do.. Remember when it was 4.17 (Average nation wide and over 5.00 in CA) likewise.
Yes about the time minimum wage was $2.65 an hour. Should we go back to that also?

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I remember when it was 20-25 cents per gallon. It isn't anymore. Why fuss about it? Fill the car/truck and go.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
goducks10 wrote:
Can someone explain how a so called shortage drives up prices when the shortage isn't causing gas stations to run out of gas? I haven't heard about any stations rationing. So it's not really a shortage, it's just a decline in production which has zero effect on supply until the supply is less than the demand.
I call BS.
You don't have to fully have zero $$ in your wallet before you slow down on your spending. You don't have to fully run out to have a shortage of $$. Same with an oil company.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Lawn mower uses gas, otherwise, we drive diesel. Haven't paid any attention to gas prices at all, since it's been over a month since the last time I filled the 5 gallon can for that mower.

But I recall the first spring after we went diesel back in 2001. First long trip in the brand new Jetta TDI, which has a 16 gallon tank, and will carry you 800+ miles. We got up to Toledo, and gas prices had been shooting skyward, but diesel was holding steady. We stopped for fuel, tanked up, and I went in to pay. When I returned, my bride was sitting in the passenger seat with her mouth hanging open. "55.6 miles per gallon, AND it cost us 30 cents a gallon LESS than gasoline!" she crowed.

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
See your state gas tax

States With The Highest and Lowest Gas Taxes
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

nadkaw1957
Explorer
Explorer
In Reno, 87 octane unleaded has gone up 70 cents a gallon since Feb. 15. I paid $3.359 last night. Diesel is about 30 cents a gallon less than gasoline right now at the station I frequent.
2018 Grand Design Imagine 2250RK
2018 Toyota Tundra 5.7L

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
It's all supply and demand driven. In California, they have a summer mix gasoline which is a little special for out of state refiners to make. Sooooooo, any excuse is a good one to raise prices. In some cases, when a local refinery goes down, (for what ever reason) available fuel has to shipped farther through pipelines to get to the local storage depot. That's a good excuse as any to raise wholesale prices which quickly translate to a price increase at the retail pump.

(Everybody) Stop buying gas for a month. (not going to happen) See what happens next as the oil tankers line up at the offshore terminals.

Chum lee