cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Awning trouble.. Please help!

Duke-44
Explorer
Explorer
I decided to sell my 2012 5iver. It's been in storage since Fall of 2017 and I just took it out this morning so I could show it this afternoon. Everything worked fine except when I went to open the elec. 16' awning. I pushed the switch and all there was, was a click heard near the awning.....
Has anyone had an awning do this??

Please help!
I am wondering if it is stuck.
16 REPLIES 16

DogTrainer
Explorer
Explorer
weak battery
2007 Chevy 2500HD 6L Auto 4WD
2015 Keystone Outback 5th Wheel
Wife and 2 great kids, Son-Army 45th
Yellow Lab

Duke-44
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys, thanks for your help. I had my wife work the switch while I got up there on a ladder and hand twisted it in an unrolling motion and it worked. It was not going very fast, but I took it halfway down and back up. I talked to the parts guy at a dealership. He said that the Dometic awning motors around 2012 were **** and the company had lots of problems.
The guy, that looked at it first, bought it today. But I dropped my asking price by $1500 so the guy took it. The unit was just too big for me and the wife, not mention between health issues and other stuff we had only used it about 10 times. It was like brand new.
Thanks again.
I will be buying another one sometime. I don't know what yet but it will be smaller. It was a 35'er.

Vette_Racer
Explorer
Explorer
Find the connector to the motor, should be on the arm close to the roller under a cover, unplug it and plug it back in, could just be a bad connection. Had that happen on mine once and that fixed it.
KE5NCP
2016 Ram CC Dually, 2011 HitchHiker 349 RSB DA, 2018 Wrangler unlimited Rubicon

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Low voltage would be my first thought. I would try giving it a pull while the wife pushes the button. But if it were the arms sticking the awning should just unroll in place.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
badboy368 wrote:
Hmmmm was the engine running when you tried to open it? It has safety switch to not be able to open while engine is running.just a thought.

Fifth-wheels don't have engines....
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
Get a matching plug from your hardware store and hook it up to a 12V car battery now where the motor is on the tube you then can power the motor directly by-passing the switch/wiring and such then work your way backwards. mine was a result of the half-azzzed shotty workmanship of our local CC dealer in Harrow who installed the awning,,, I wish I had taken pictures,,, they basically used cheapo-fillip wire connectors without any protection from the weather so after finding the fault I re-did things properly and have been good-to-go since! Another friend's dometic awning went as well and it turned out that the supply wire that ran up the awning arm had broke at the upper elbow from being bent repeatedly sorta' like a coat hanger, easy fix.

Red Green: All it takes is a little imagination
, some mechanical ability, and neighbors who
mind their own business.
07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blรผcher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
badboy368 wrote:
Hmmmm was the engine running when you tried to open it? It has safety switch to not be able to open while engine is running.just a thought.
I believe it's a 5th wheel.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

MudChucker
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have any lockdown mechanism that you may have forgotten to release? Did you rock the switch in and out, is the click audible with each press of the button? Are you on shore power, if not plug into shore power and try again. Try. 12 volts directly to the awning.
2017 Cougar
2015 Ram 3500 Megacab 6.7 Cummins Aisin transmission

badboy368
Explorer
Explorer
40' pusher,350 turbo cat, pullin a 37' trailer haulin a drag car. oh yea baby

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is there sufficient 12v power in the battery/ies to operate the motor.

Motors are around $150-$200, and not too bad to change. Check by running power directly to the motor connection first.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Duke-44
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
OK I thought you were saying there was ONE click then silence which could indicate an overload that could pop a breaker.

Is it free to move, how about the manual crank? Does that work?

I don't think there is a manual crank. I am wondering if I should get up there and try to pry it out slightly while my wife presses the switch.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK I thought you were saying there was ONE click then silence which could indicate an overload that could pop a breaker.

Is it free to move, how about the manual crank? Does that work?
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Duke-44
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Breaker or fuse is the first guess/ Could be something keeping it from opening, make sure it's free to operate.

I thought beaker or fuse, too. But that clicking sound says there is a electrical connection there.

Duke-44
Explorer
Explorer
It is a Dometic. But it was in totally dry storage with very low humidity in my area.
If it is because of water in the motor it would have to have been very wet when it was put in storage, which I don't remember.

How hard are motors to replace and what do they cost?